forum

Bridging From Hard to Insane?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DegPixel
Greetings. I'm currently at the point where I'm fairly comfortable with most Hard level maps and am moving more towards Insane maps (I can currently play most things at or under 4 stars) and I'm trying to push more towards 4.5-5 star maps, but I can barely complete a single one. The hardest map I've been able to complete is Remote Control [Insane] by Garven, and that's only because I played the map over 100 times.

I suppose my question is: What's the big difference between 4 and 5 star maps, and why might I be having so much trouble? Is there something that many 5 star maps have that 4 star maps don't? Is there something I can practice to get through this gap? Obviously I've been playing daily, but should I be playing songs that I can beat, or should I just go for 5 star maps even though I'll most likely fail them nonstop?

Any advice would be appreciated, there's a lot of maps in the 5 star range that I've always wanted to be able to play since I first started playing, so it's a milestone that I'm pretty excited for.
eeezzzeee
Well, now that the difficulty rating for maps is actually somewhat accurate, you could try to play the easier insane maps in 4-4.5 stars. Play stuff that you can usually beat but not too easy that you have a good chance to FC in one try.

Difference between 4 and 5 is stuff like longer streams, further jumps, and AR9
Topic Starter
DegPixel
Gotcha. The biggest help is knowing what to play. It's like there's this neverending debate on "Play songs you can beat" vs "If you're not failing, you're not learning", so your input there is a great help. To be fair, I only have a B rating on many 3.5-4 star songs, but they still don't feel "difficult" to me per se, since my reading is much better than my accuracy, and as a result, it becomes painfully boring to try and improve my accuracy. Still, it's something I should probably focus on.

Thanks for the help.
nrl

DegPixel wrote:

"Play songs you can beat" vs "If you're not failing, you're not learning"
Do the former. Until you have a better understanding of self-improvement passing should be the minimum requirement.
Xayne
The range in difficulty under "Insane" is fairly large. Find some 3.8-4 star insanes and try those out. If you can pass them, keep working at it until you're passing them with high acc. Then slowly make your way up. The bridge from hard to insane isn't too terribly bad if you use the right maps. The biggest part is just getting used to AR9.
Sh0keR
Just play songs you can complete safely without failing, it's okay to fail some maps then you can come back to those maps later and have this satisfying feel when you manage to complete them, although you couldn't a week ago.
Nakano Itsuki
Insanes have a really wide difficulty range, tbh.

A suggestion would be to turn on NF and search for maps that you feel comfortable passing.
SomeLoli
Hardest thing I've found in that star range 4-4.5 is ar8 maps. With the maps getting faster ar8 is more annoying to read, I would click to soon because Im trying to go fast. The ar9 maps are much easier.
NinjaNick
Insane difficulty has such a big gap of challenges. Some I can DT, and FC while others I can't even pass without mods. Try the easier insanes and get used to the challenge then move on, always keep pushing yourself.
E m i

NinjaNick wrote:

Insane difficulty has such a big gap of challenges. Some I can DT, and FC while others I can't even pass without mods. Try the easier insanes and get used to the challenge then move on, always keep pushing yourself.
2.8-3.6 star pp farm maps aren't insanes :(
gamestonk
I'd say improve your accuracy. Sure it may be boring but upping 90% plays to 95-99% (i'd go for at least 95, then move on imo) can help your accuracy so much when it comes to a slightly more difficult map.
NinjaNick

[ Momiji ] wrote:

NinjaNick wrote:

I meant the songs that actually say "Insane" difficulty. I realize some can be a much lower star count then others.
NudistSanji
gamestonk

NudistSanji wrote:

Xayne wrote:

The range in difficulty under "Insane" is fairly large. Find some 3.8-4 star insanes and try those out. If you can pass them, keep working at it until you're passing them with high acc. Then slowly make your way up. The bridge from hard to insane isn't too terribly bad if you use the right maps. The biggest part is just getting used to AR9.
what do terms like AR9 mean?

AR refers to Approach Rate. It's the rate at which hit circles approach their respective circle.
Daborgia
Well:

You can do the following thingys:

1. Play harder Insanes and get used to AR9 and it´s Sh***y Moments. For the right Maps here my Favs and imo the more or less easy AR9´s 4.3+ Insanes i know:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/54289 ( easy 4.3 played it first today...instant 600+ combo on first try)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/111760 ( why its 4.9 i dont know..its soo easy)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130104 ( 4.9 sh**** ending, where the real pain is but nearly everyone has it in their scores)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/43466 ( 4.5 Good Song and good balance of Aim,stream and jumps)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/67093 ( 4.4 Easything: pass the beginning and you can pass the song ;)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/221948&m=0 ( 4.5 my first insane ar9 fc map maybe your 2?^^)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/421532&m=0 ( really painful...like 4.7 has to be)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/53519 ( everything is a bit slower...but the jumps, streams and its very low bpm will kick your tushy on this 4.5)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/83130 ( hardly and streams...but the jumps are hell and good practice for later insanes)

And for finish a really hardcore 4.84, where i meet insane jumps, hell OD and everything u need for more!

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=53554&m=0

That should be enough^^

Or 2: Play More Maps for better Acc.
Xayne

asmit10 wrote:

I'd say improve your accuracy. Sure it may be boring but upping 90% plays to 95-99% (i'd go for at least 95, then move on imo) can help your accuracy so much when it comes to a slightly more difficult map.
The pp differences for a 90% FC and a 97% FC are also astronomical.
Xayne

NinjaNick wrote:

[ Momiji ] wrote:

I meant the songs that actually say "Insane" difficulty. I realize some can be a much lower star count then others.
Just because the person who made the map has the difficulty named "Insane" doesn't mean it's an Insane difficulty map. You can actually judge this by looking at the beatmap's page and checking to see what rating it actually has on its difficulty star. 3.6 by definition isn't Insane. It's Hard.
NinjaNick

Xayne wrote:

Just because the person who made the map has the difficulty named "Insane" doesn't mean it's an Insane difficulty map. You can actually judge this by looking at the beatmap's page and checking to see what rating it actually has on its difficulty star. 3.6 by definition isn't Insane. It's Hard.
Technically it's an Insane map, it's just an easy beatmap. If it was Hard difficulty it would be called Hard.
E m i

NinjaNick wrote:

Xayne wrote:

Technically it's an Insane map, it's just an easy beatmap. If it was Hard difficulty it would be called Hard.
well, not technically... theoretically.
Vuelo Eluko
The vanilla diff names are mostly for beginners to differentiate though, for more experienced players its pretty useless. ofc bats dont understand this cos theyre all like rank 60k or something so they dont let diff names that are actually useful like 0108 or nogard to be used anymore.

It doesnt really matter anyway, new star system makes up for it.
E m i

Riince wrote:

new star system makes up for it
;)
YamiHikari
Yep, try to focus on accuracy on those Hards more, then when you're really confident on Hards with decent (above 98?%) accuracy you can slowly make your way up the stars. You shouldn't judge the difficulty from the term itself "Hard" and "Insane", cause there are easy insanes and also hard ones. Sort your beatmaps based on difficulty if you want and try them out in ascending level, from where you are comfortable with.
lilelf29
Yeah focus on acc and consistency with passing/aim.
Don't worry about fc's, just improve reading etc and worry about the rest later.
Don't do what I did where you go from normals with DT to insanes and now every other note is a 100 rofl.
ZenithPhantasm
Focus on getting high accuracy even if you get misses. Eventually something will click and those misses will go away.
Xayne

NinjaNick wrote:

Xayne wrote:

Again, just because the beatmap creator named the difficulty insane doesn't make it insane. And there are "insane" maps that are rated as hard on their own beatmap page on the website. So they are called Hard by the actual system. Momiji was also correct. Theoretically you could call it insane since the beatmap creator called it as such, but technically it's hard.
nrl

NinjaNick wrote:

If it were mapped a few years ago, sure, but nowadays there are approved difficulties that correspond to specific star ratings. Naming is irrelevant.
ZenithPhantasm

N=Normal
H=Hard
I=Insane
X=Extra
Kwonaiden

DegPixel wrote:

I suppose my question is: What's the big difference between 4 and 5 star maps, and why might I be having so much trouble? Is there something that many 5 star maps have that 4 star maps don't? Is there something I can practice to get through this gap? Obviously I've been playing daily, but should I be playing songs that I can beat, or should I just go for 5 star maps even though I'll most likely fail them nonstop?
Well from playing alot 4 + stars leading up to 5 stars I can say that you're heading up to bigger jumps such as freakish square and star patterns and misleading formations and ofcourse finally long and wierd streams.

Your problem I guess is that you haven't played enough of the different types of pattern so you may tend to panic mash keys when it comes to one you never seen before or not used to.

The reason why people tell you to play more especially alot of different maps and not to grind the same old maps over and over again is that your brain is digesting 100's of different patterns leading towards the monster maps. Eventually when you play alot of maps that you love and hate you will get better at reading and reacting naturally and not do whack-a-mole.
totekingsg1
The main differece for me when i jumped from hard to insanes was 1) Faster aproach circles 2) Faster songs (triples one after another, really cancer).

I suggest you to practice faster songs with usual jumps and also start learning to stream and do triples (which are the harder part for me BY FAR).

So, sumarizing:

1) Get some techniques for triples+streams so u can play them fluently.
2) Get faster playing faster songs with 8+ AR