forum

Julian Calor - Imperial (Original Mix)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nathaniel noble
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 6:05:42 PM

Artist: Julian Calor
Title: Imperial (Original Mix)
Tags: electronic
BPM: 128
Filesize: 5029kb
Play Time: 01:15
Difficulties Available:
  1. Hard (2.83 stars, 151 notes)
  2. Insane (4.13 stars, 541 notes)
  3. Normal (2.22 stars, 215 notes)
Download: Julian Calor - Imperial (Original Mix)
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Hello y'all !!!

This is my first attempt of making my very own beatmap, so I'm very excited.

Both difficulties are made by me.

Thank you for downloading my beatmap and giving it a try, and hopefully some constructive criticism! :D

Changes:

02.02.2016 - Played around with storyboarding and made a pulsing bg effect at drops ( 00:45:312 - 1:15:312 and 2:22:812 - 3:11:562 )
-Made some circle and slider position changes for more smoothness
-Changed some combo colors for better reading
-Started making the Hard difficulty
-Added epilepsy warning because of the pulsing BG
ReallyFastCat
Hey! Random guy from #modreqs :)

[General]
- The timing is really, really off. Offset for the first point should be 312, and the other two points aren't needed, so just delete those. The offset probably needs more finetuning, but this is just so that the downbeats are in the right place (Read this if you don't know what I'm talking about: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Music_Theory)
- Add some kiai time! It would fit well here:
00:45:312 to 01:15:312
02:22:812 to 02:37:812
02:41:562 to 03:11:562
- I don't know if you consider the mapset is finished or not, but if you do: You should really add another difficulty in between Normal and Insane (~3 Stars), since the spread is really bad right now.
- Remove "Julian Calor Imperial" from the tags because it's already the title/artist field.

[Normal]
- There are a lot of bad overlaps in this diff, for example: 00:23:281 (4) is overlapping 00:24:921 (1,2) in a really weird way, which doesn't look good. I listed them here:
SPOILER
00:27:031 (4) overlaps 00:28:671 (5,6)
00:28:906 (6) overlaps 00:30:781 (2)
01:27:500 (3) overlaps 01:29:140 (2)
01:55:156 (4) overlaps 01:57:031 (6)
01:58:906 (2) overlaps 02:00:781 (4)
(Please note that not all overlaps are bad, just some of them. I can't really explain what differences an okay overlap from a bad one though :o)
01:32:656 (2) - This slider overlaps itself, which is unreadable. To fix this, leave a gap in the middle and don't make the sliderstart and sliderend touch each other (or just a little bit)
01:36:171 (4,5) - uhm... why is the note not in the center of the slider? Place it at x341 y194

[Insane]
- The jumps/spacing during the chorus is smaller than during the part at 01:22:812, even though that part is a lot calmer than the chorus. This should be the other way around.
01:00:312 (1) - This slider is completely unreadable because there's no way to see how long (time-wise) it is without looking at the timeline
02:56:561 (1) - ^
01:27:734 - Add a circle here, it matches the music better (so that the stack has 4 notes)
01:35:234 - ^

Overall, the map is really hard to read (but in a frustrating way instead of a challenging one) and there's a lot of copy-pasted patterns in it (the slider-letters in the Normal diff for example), which makes the map boring and the mapper seem really lazy.

The things I pointed out were just really general, there are a lot more problems with this map. I'd suggest you read a bit through the pages about beatmapping on the wiki, take a closer look at ranked maps to see how they did it, and most importantly: Map more.

Good luck! ^w^
Topic Starter
nathaniel noble

ReallyFastCat wrote:

Hey! Random guy from #modreqs :)

[General]
- The timing is really, really off. Offset for the first point should be 312, and the other two points aren't needed, so just delete those. The offset probably needs more finetuning, but this is just so that the downbeats are in the right place (Read this if you don't know what I'm talking about: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Music_Theory)
- Add some kiai time! It would fit well here:
00:45:312 to 01:15:312
02:22:812 to 02:37:812
02:41:562 to 03:11:562
- I don't know if you consider the mapset is finished or not, but if you do: You should really add another difficulty in between Normal and Insane (~3 Stars), since the spread is really bad right now.
- Remove "Julian Calor Imperial" from the tags because it's already the title/artist field.

[Normal]
- There are a lot of bad overlaps in this diff, for example: 00:23:281 (4) is overlapping 00:24:921 (1,2) in a really weird way, which doesn't look good. I listed them here:
SPOILER
00:27:031 (4) overlaps 00:28:671 (5,6)
00:28:906 (6) overlaps 00:30:781 (2)
01:27:500 (3) overlaps 01:29:140 (2)
01:55:156 (4) overlaps 01:57:031 (6)
01:58:906 (2) overlaps 02:00:781 (4)
(Please note that not all overlaps are bad, just some of them. I can't really explain what differences an okay overlap from a bad one though :o)
01:32:656 (2) - This slider overlaps itself, which is unreadable. To fix this, leave a gap in the middle and don't make the sliderstart and sliderend touch each other (or just a little bit)
01:36:171 (4,5) - uhm... why is the note not in the center of the slider? Place it at x341 y194

[Insane]
- The jumps/spacing during the chorus is smaller than during the part at 01:22:812, even though that part is a lot calmer than the chorus. This should be the other way around.
01:00:312 (1) - This slider is completely unreadable because there's no way to see how long (time-wise) it is without looking at the timeline
01:27:734 - Add a circle here, it matches the music better (so that the stack has 4 notes)
01:35:234 - ^

Overall, the map is really hard to read (but in a frustrating way instead of a challenging one) and there's a lot of copy-pasted patterns in it (the slider-letters in the Normal diff for example), which makes the map boring and the mapper seem really lazy.

The things I pointed out were just really general, there are a lot more problems with this map. I'd suggest you read a bit through the pages about beatmapping on the wiki, take a closer look at ranked maps to see how they did it, and most importantly: Map more.

Good luck! ^w^
Thanks for the feedback :lol:
Ravidge
[Insane]
There's a lot of missed potential here. The song is a lot more exciting than the beatmap currently.
In general the patterns are unimaginative and flows pretty poorly. It has a very distinct style, I'll give it that, with it's continuous "go back to the center and click" between the beats, but! it's also a pretty boring style, sadly.

It's pretty common for new mappers to have this focus on the center point of the map, and make mirror patterns around that 0,0 coordinate...

I hope you wont get mad at me for saying this but: I think you should start over, and try again with some more flow around the whole playfield. And remember that jumps don't always have to be across half the screen to be fun/hard, some short back and fourth jumps are often appreciated.

Well, that's all I had to say, sorry if it's negative. I'm only trying to help.
Topic Starter
nathaniel noble

Ravidge wrote:

[Insane]
There's a lot of missed potential here. The song is a lot more exciting than the beatmap currently.
In general the patterns are unimaginative and flows pretty poorly. It has a very distinct style, I'll give it that, with it's continuous "go back to the center and click" between the beats, but! it's also a pretty boring style, sadly.

It's pretty common for new mappers to have this focus on the center point of the map, and make mirror patterns around that 0,0 coordinate...

I hope you wont get mad at me for saying this but: I think you should start over, and try again with some more flow around the whole playfield. And remember that jumps don't always have to be across half the screen to be fun/hard, some short back and fourth jumps are often appreciated.

Well, that's all I had to say, sorry if it's negative. I'm only trying to help.
Nah man, I'm not mad because what you said is true. I appreciate your feedback, and in a weird way I find it more positive than negative.... yeah I don't know why, I can't explain that.

Thanks again for taking your time to test my map and giving feedback. I will try to improve. ;)
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.