forum

Uneven Jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ruikoH
I use tablet and my pen hand seems to get confused when there's a lot of jumps the same distance apart in time but not on the screen. Example: Tristam - Once Again [Insane]. Is there a way to practice this off faster? Inb4: switch to mouse, practice more
Thx--
FieryLight
My suggestion would be to get acquainted with larger jumps and also practice maps with many uneven jumps. Here's a particularly good practice map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/106318
Kunino Sagiri
For some reason, seeing tablet players that are actually having trouble with jumps is like seeing a human hatch out from a turkey's egg
Bauxe

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

For some reason, seeing tablet players that are actually having trouble with jumps is like seeing a human hatch out from a turkey's egg
But tablet and mouse are equally as difficult with jumps.
B1rd
There is not much advice to get other than practice more. Doing uneven or difficult jumps an patterns simply requires good reading and aim, those are primary skills of an osu! player that are only improved by long hours of practice maps with those aspects.
chainpullz
Pay more attention to the music for timing information. It will help you out on most maps in the long run and help with playing higher AR where you have less of a crutch in terms of visual information.
Deathripi

samlinvc wrote:

practice more
Couldnt have said it better. There are no special tricks in doing these on than keep doing them
Karuta-_old_1

samlinvc wrote:

I use tablet and my pen hand seems to get confused when there's a lot of jumps the same distance apart in time but not on the screen. Example: Tristam - Once Again [Insane]. Is there a way to practice this off faster? Inb4: switch to mouse, practice more
Thx--
There are no shortcuts, you really need to play more maps if you find this tricky
kymotsujason
There are tricks you can use that may help, but it all comes down to experience (which does come from practice).
Try to figure out the rhythm of the music. It'll help in terms of accuracy and prediction (which is useful when you can't process the notes fast enough). Another thing you can do is focus on the location of the note(s) that you will be jumping to (commits it to memory temporarily) and then focus on your cursor as you move towards it. You should be aware of your hand motion as a result. This won't work if you can't process (or read) the notes fast enough though.
If you're having trouble with the actual formation (lets say the AR feels either perfect or slightly slower and a square pattern appears), here are a few things you can do: at each note anchor/touch your pen on the tablet (if you're hovering), force yourself to process each note separately (which is what I was saying previously), you could also increase your area to increase travel time (more precision).
E m i
snap
play more
SomeLoli
Play more is the answer though. I'm learning jumps myself and I'm getting better and better at them the more I play jumpy maps.
Kunino Sagiri

Bauxe wrote:

Try comparing the experience of losing grip between a mouse and a pen then come back here
Bauxe

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Try comparing the experience of losing grip between a mouse and a pen then come back here
I was talking if you kept a stable grip.

Losing grip with pen makes jumps impossible, can't talk for mouse though.
Kunino Sagiri

Bauxe wrote:

Losing grip with pen makes jumps impossible
Ofc, but you won't be experiencing it as often as a mouse though especially compared to a non-gaming mouse. Not to mention that losing momentum on a mouse is already very different to a pen
SomeLoli
if you grip your pen you won't lose grip.

tipz and trickz
chainpullz
My grip on my pen shifts over the course of a map probably no different than your grip on a mouse. It probably explains why I get random misses but it's bullsht to say its not even a problem with tablet. Just like changing tablet settings/grip can help combat this problem, so too can changing mouse settings/grip. If you haven't found a mouse grip/settings that work well for you that doesn't give you the right to shit talk tablet players.
sayonara_sekai
i was messing around with mouse after not playing with one for 4~months and its incredible how easy snapping is. I felt like Doomsday Jr. the first map I played.

and yes I also fuck up my grip on pen all the time, especially when playing DT or extremely jumpy maps
Vuelo Eluko

Kunino Sagiri wrote:

i use a tablet and jumps are easily my worst skill. streams4life.
dung eater

phonics wrote:

i was messing around with mouse after not playing with one for 4~months and its incredible how easy snapping is. I felt like Doomsday Jr. the first map I played.
I did the same with tablet, snapping felt really easy on old small cirlce maps.
ZenithPhantasm
Lose grip on mouse=miss every note until you let go and readjust grip.