forum

osu!java (thoughts)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
magnontobi
Hello everybody!

So I was thinking... I develop games sometimes, and when I do, I usually use java with libGDX as my openGL library. LibGDX has some cool export options, such as exporting to desktop, android, iOS and the web (with webGL I THINK. I've never exported to the web before). Anyway, I was thinking about the possibility to re-make osu! but using libGDX. This would allow us to replace the, honestly awful, android client (no offence, devs, but you aren't updating that thing enough) with a much more up to date one. It would also allow us to run osu! in a somewhat more native way on both Linux and Mac which currently both relies on wine, which isn't a very pretty solution, if you ask me. I have no clue how the iOS side of thing are, but this will surely make it better... Right? Oh, and then we have the web. This is the one with the most coolness, if you ask me ;) Not only would we be able to run osu! on the web, but if we manage to get stuff like replay and story boards working, then we could strip those components away and use them on for example the leader-boards (I do recall someone working on something like this, but I don't think he ever finished :().
I was also thinking that this should be open-source, which would allow anyone to contribute, speeding up development.

Now, as a final note, this is just an idea from my part. I have quite a lot of other things that I'm working on right now, and I honestly don't even know if I'm capable of pulling this kind of thing off. Therefore, I do not guarantee anyone that this will ever become a thing, but if enough demand is out there, then I think that if we all cooperate, we could make this become a thing.

Already convinced? Leave a comment with your thoughts! Continue reading if you want to read about potential problems.

So, some potential problems are:
1. Video playback. I have no clue how you'd go about playing a video with libGDX. And even we did manage to play a video, we still have to pause, speed-up, etc.
2. Multiplayer. Okay, let's face it, this is most likely to NEVER become a thing. We'd have to convince peppy big time to make this happen and even then, I think there'll be some technical problems that I'm currently unaware of.
3. The stuff we don't know how to code. To recreate some parts of the osu! gameplay, we have to get the source code for it. That said, if peppy is real nice, he'll just let us copy the original code. ;)

Okay that's all for me. Thank you so much for taking your time to read!
MillhioreF
There's no point in requesting ports, because they're almost universally desired, but are a HUGE undertaking, and peppy has no desire to rewrite osu! for any other language. The client is scheduled to go open source sometime in 2015, anyhow.
Skilled developers with a highly-functioning proof of concept beta on their language of choice are welcome to send peppy a message in order to potentially get source code access and official endorsement. This is what happened with osu!iphone and osu!droid, and they both worked beautifully at the time, but their developers then proceeded to vanish, and future android/iOS updated caused them to become slightly decrepit.
- Marco -
Also...i saw a osu! made in java. Try searching on the development subforum
Topic Starter
magnontobi

MillhioreF wrote:

There's no point in requesting ports, because they're almost universally desired, but are a HUGE undertaking, and peppy has no desire to rewrite osu! for any other language. The client is scheduled to go open source sometime in 2015, anyhow.
Skilled developers with a highly-functioning proof of concept beta on their language of choice are welcome to send peppy a message in order to potentially get source code access and official endorsement. This is what happened with osu!iphone and osu!droid, and they both worked beautifully at the time, but their developers then proceeded to vanish, and future android/iOS updated caused them to become slightly decrepit.
Oh, sorry, I think you missed the point. Let me just be clear with this: I was thinking about creating this myself. In other words, it's not a request, I was just checking if there even was anyone who wanted something like this.
xasuma
Which android client are you referring to? Do you mean you can theoretically export it to work on android pretty much natively? If you meant that, I am all for it. I have been waiting for that.

And for the parts you can't code, you ll be able to see the code since it will be open source soon ish. I'd like to help but I am noob @ coding.
Topic Starter
magnontobi

marcostudios wrote:

After searching around a bit, yeah, you're right, there is another java osu! project happening. Still not the same thing as I am trying to accomplish though. Quick question to you two who replied first: did you even read through my post at all? It really doesn't seem like it since you don't seem to get what I want to accomplish with this.
Topic Starter
magnontobi

xasuma wrote:

Which android client are you referring to? Do you mean you can theoretically export it to work on android pretty much natively? If you meant that, I am all for it. I have been waiting for that.

And for the parts you can't code, you ll be able to see the code since it will be open source soon ish. I'd like to help but I am noob @ coding.
That's exactly what I meant! ;) And about helping with coding: I am a noob myself, so don't worry. :P
Howl

marcostudios wrote:

t/221726