forum

CtB star ratings.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sovy
I feel slightly insulted seeing many 5-6+ star maps getting lowered to 3-4 star ratings. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on with CtB?
Rilene
Me too, maybe they to lower CtB rating system because before it was too high but now it turns out that it was too low...
Like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/15298 - before it was 7 star but now turns into 4 star with a hell difficulty (because of hyperdash and CS:5 which require good timing)
Hope they fix it soon (only if they make it wrong), or did they really intend to do this?
cuccizei
I actually have to agree with this. While ctb star ratings used to have a quite inflated rating, however, the new star ratings are too low now... i hope they balance it a bit.
PheeHandy
I agree with this too. The new star ratings are too low Example like this :arrow: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/95583&m=0
The star ratings before changed It will be more than 6.5 stars - 7 stars and this song is very hard but it's changed to 4.69 stars only
It makes me confuse and need time to familiar with this. :?
Yukiteru Amano
The star rating system isn't done yet, but I most certainly hope the star ratings will get higher. 4-5 is waaay too low.
PakaChan
Star ratings aren't too low, they are fine, people have to get better. (although far from perfect *caugh* tu4ar *caugh*)

Sirade wrote:

Me too, maybe they to lower CtB rating system because before it was too high but now it turns out that it was too low...
Like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/15298 - before it was 7 star but now turns into 4 star with a hell difficulty (because of hyperdash and CS:5 which require good timing)
Hope they fix it soon (only if they make it wrong), or did they really intend to do this?
By hell difficulty you mean overrated pp map right?
Topic Starter
sovy
Honestly, out of all the game modes, I felt CtB was the more realistic one in terms of star ratings being based on a 1-10 scale. I have no idea how the algorithm works to establish star ratings but simply watching a map that used to be 6 stars being lowered to 2,5 is something I cannot comprehend and utterly deceiving.
Granger

amslender wrote:

Honestly, out of all the game modes, I felt CtB was the more realistic one in terms of star ratings being based on a 1-10 scale. I have no idea how the algorithm works to establish star ratings but simply watching a map that used to be 6 stars being lowered to 2,5 is something I cannot comprehend and utterly deceiving.
A newcomer S-ing (maybe even FCing) most of the 4+5 star rated maps doesnt sound even remotely realistic to me. In std you have to have quite some experience to even pass maps of that level so i dont see why that should be different in ctb.
True it is insulting to you when you're suddenly told that those maps were actually all hards if not normals instead of insane and extras, but lets face it, its true.

That said, i agree, some maps are severly underrated now but remember, the star ratings are a work in progress, and the fact that they're now actually getting worked on is a thing you should celebrate not feel insulted of.
silmarilen
the star rating is based on the fact that 5 stars used to be the old measurement for insane, it is in no way based on a 1-10 scale.
Kingkevin30

Granger wrote:

That said, i agree, some maps are severly underrated now but remember, the star ratings are a work in progress, and the fact that they're now actually getting worked on is a thing you should celebrate not feel insulted of.
^this to 1000%
Tom94

silmarilen wrote:

the star rating is based on the fact that 5 stars used to be the old measurement for insane, it is in no way based on a 1-10 scale.
7.5-8 star maps should only be playable by the best of the best. This was realized in more or less all gamemodes except for CtB where star ratings were greatly inflated. Not only that, but even the easiest maps had multiple stars in CtB which is totally wrong. The easiest maps should sit around 0.5-1 stars.

Please instead of looking at absolute star difficulties of maps see how maps compare to each other. The latest update should have improved difficulty ordering by quite a bit. pp update to come soon.
I never ever ever used or started to look at stars though, nor noticed them, I just read the name of the diff.
Shurelia

119410501 wrote:

I never ever ever used or started to look at stars though, nor noticed them, I just read the name of the diff.
12/10 agree on this.
Ikillforpies

119410501 wrote:

I agree with this also.
The name of the diff is easier to see what is easy and what is actually hard
xGx

Granger

Tom94 wrote:

pp update to come soon.
I hope to loose 2 or three of my top ranks. :P
Axiaan

Tom94 wrote:

pp update to come soon.
Oooh. :c
Who are losing the most pp ? Those who play with mod or not ?
And the beatmaps which give some pp, for example "Beautiful World - Azuki's world" has most of jump and his CS is tiny, so it's enough difficult to SS.
It give 225pp if SS no-mod, but the difficulty before was 6.44, and now is 2.63 (because of his low AR), I think that we earn less of pp :c
Or it's for the easy and normal maps, when we play it with HR + DT/FL, we earn 140~180pp ? :o

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not good in language ^^'
PakaChan

Axiaan wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

pp update to come soon.
And the beatmaps which give some pp, for example "Beautiful World - Azuki's world" has most of jump and his CS is tiny, so it's enough difficult to SS.
It give 225pp if SS no-mod, but the difficulty before was 6.44, and now is 2.63
In no way should Azuki's world be worth more than 50pp if that's what you are implying, it pretty much falls in the same category as Easy/Normal + HR maps like Still alive. Also stars are supposed to show how hard it is to FC not to SS. I see you're an ss player so this update will favor you since most of the old pp maps were droplet hell.
Axiaan

PakaChan wrote:

Also stars are supposed to show how hard it is to FC not to SS. I see you're an ss player so this update will favor you since most of the old pp maps were droplet hell.
It's true that "Beautiful World - Azuki's world" was simple to FC and not to SS, so I agree with that.
If those beatmaps give the same number of PPs (if we do a SS) after the new algorithm, we haven't problems with that. o/
(Hmm.. I haven't problems hehehe)

SS-player for life, PakaChan. o/

My english is not better since my last post. é.è
RainbowDashiie
In my opinion the star ratings of the maps compered to other maps are now extremely better than before, but not high enough.
Topic Starter
sovy
A lot of people getting wrecked with this pp update. I'm enjoying this.
Axiaan
I lost 4500 world ranks and 2500pp. T_T
But we must do a beatmap to have our new rank.
I'm waiting 2-3 days, all the players gonna plays, and my rank will increase. (I hope.. ;w;)
We must do beatmaps with HR/HD to have PP now ? I'm totally lost. :c
Empress Junko

Sirade wrote:

It was way too easy to 2014/2015 standards + was huge pp grab, which wasn't that fair. Nothing to be changed here.
I'm really glad how it works now. God speed!