forum

Playlist views/sorting [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
chan
Could you add different ways to view the song list? Like in DDR, you could press say left/right and view songs by author/artist/title/bpm/difficulty/date added or group all songs by their starting letter into a drop-down sub-group thing. This would probably be handy as playlists get larger/more beatmaps are made.
peppy
This is on the list somewhere. I'm not 100% sure how this should be done but it would be nice to use the mouse wheel to swap between modes, and provide a favourites list which can be added to.
[deleted user]
How about having a button on the top or bottom bar that says "sorting"? When you click it, the song wheel moves off the screen to the right, and a sorting menu moves in in its place, and all the options can be there:
Sort by:
Title
-Show All
-#
-A
-B
-[...]
-Y
-Z
Artist
-Show All
-#
-A
-B
-[...]
-Y
-Z
Beatmap creator
-Show All
-#
-A
-B
-[...]
-Y
-Z
BPM
-Show All
-60-69
-70-79
-80-89
-[...]
-190-199
-200-209
-(etc)
Difficulty
-Easy
-Normal
-Hard
-Insane
Top 50(/25?) Most played
-Easy
-Normal
-Hard
-Insane
Own high score
-Easy
-Normal
-Hard
-Insane
Favorites
-Favorites list A
-Favorites list B
-Favorites list C
Add to Favorites
-Add to Favorites list A
-Add to Favorites list B
-Add to Favorites list C

-x means that it expands, like multiple difficulties expand for one song.
For the alphabetical and the bpm categories, only show those difficulties if there's a song that falls under it. So if you don't have a song that starts with Z, you wouldn't see an option to show all songs with Z (like Stepmania does).
Show All means it shows all the songs sorted by that criteria, while the specific options only show anything that falls under that option. This would make going through large songlists easier.

If double expanding menus isn't possible, then just change the difficulty section into 4 separate sections.
peppy
I like your thinking! This actually seems like a good way of doing it. You could also use the mouse wheel to go to the prev/next 'letter' in the sorting criteria you have selected.

Even so, this will be a huge task to code up... and I'm not sure how high a priority it is at the moment. Would you guys rather see the design (storyboarding) section finished first, or a better selection menu? Personally I'm leaning towards storyboarding, even though it is a bigger task, because it will affect the quality of all beatmaps produced once it is introduced (well, to those that can be assed setting up a cool script!).
Topic Starter
chan
Seconded: sounds good to me. At the moment, my small playlist doesn't bother me, so I say go with the storyboard for now. I'm guessing as people make and download more and more beatmaps, this will become an increasingly valued and useful feature. Maybe when demand picks up, you might be forced to include this feature :D
eyup
I would have been happy with A-L and M-Z tabs :mrgreen:

I've downloaded every map and it gets messy pretty quick, but I'm not sure if everyone does this. Even so it's a pretty useful feature to have in the arsenal.

Re: storyboarding, I'm not entirely sure how it'll work out. I certainly don't have the drawing skills (nor time) to punch out some comic/manga-like intermissions... and crunching out a beatmap takes long enough. What have you got planned for this peppy?
Motto_old
Right now sorting songs isn't a problem for me, though, depending on how popular Osu! becomes it could rapidly become a headache. Storyboarding is a very cool idea, but it's just icing, and not something I see myself doing regularly for every beatmap (yeah I've been fiddling with the beatmap creator. I should have something, eventually, that I feel is worthy of uploading).
[deleted user]

peppy wrote:

Would you guys rather see the design (storyboarding) section finished first, or a better selection menu? Personally I'm leaning towards storyboarding, even though it is a bigger task, because it will affect the quality of all beatmaps produced once it is introduced (well, to those that can be assed setting up a cool script!).
I vote for storyboarding! Because of what you said: I think the quality of beatmaps could really be much higher with a story. :D
Kylecito
storyboarding is the way to go, no doubts about it. Songs are pretty plain now without alternate sounds or vocal cues, so storyboarding is a must! ;P
Gilrad
Seeing how my first beatmap (yes, I'm still working on it; don't have all the time in the world so I have to settle with slowly but surely) is going to be a story-heavy epic one, I vote for storyboarding :)
Topic Starter
chan
Perhaps we should make a poll for storyboarding...
peppy
I think storyboarding wins. Its just a matter of figuring out how to do it all now :). Maybe I can make a start this weekend (although I'm leaning towards getting full packaging integration finished up).