forum

Increase max slider velocity [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
0_o
There are some maps that have a low BPM but are still relatively fast paced, and even at 2.6x the sliders can still feel too slow. Multiplying the BPM by 2 gets the job done mapping-wise, but it makes the osu! logo flash twice as fast as it should and it just simply wouldn't be the correct bpm.

Also:

MetalMario201 wrote:

There are some situations, especially with 12:8 compound timed music, where doubling the BPM doesn't work right because you'd need a tick rate of 1.5.

3.6 or 4.2 would probably be best. 2.6 seems an odd, arbitrary choice. Multiples of 0.08 turn 1/1s into whole grids, and multiples of 0.24 ensure that TickDistance is an integer. 3.6 and 4.2 meet both of these criteria.
Jarby
Use an inherited 2x section, they're pretty cool like that.
Topic Starter
0_o

JarJarJacob wrote:

For the whole map? Also the osu! logo would still pulse twice as fast as it should. (I think? Can check osu! to confirm for sure right now.)
mm201
Most of the oddities of inheriting BPM sections have been fixed in preparation for non2x slider speeds.

The throbber, Kiai sections, beat snap divisors, and slider length snapping will all behave as they should.

But you will need to half your tick rate.

I still agree with this. There are some situations, especially with 12:8 compound timed music, where doubling the BPM doesn't work right because you'd need a tick rate of 1.5.

3.6 or 4.2 would probably be best. 2.6 seems an odd, arbitrary choice. Multiples of 0.08 turn 1/1s into whole grids, and multiples of 0.24 ensure that TickDistance is an integer. 3.6 and 4.2 meet both of these criteria.
Hanyuu

0_o wrote:

JarJarJacob wrote:

For the whole map? Also the osu! logo would still pulse twice as fast as it should. (I think? Can check osu! to confirm for sure right now.)
if you put your timing section with 180 BPM and after it a timing section with inherit x2 the BPM will show as 180 and logo will beat to 180 BPM not 360 BPM
mm201
Someone is four days late.

MetalMario201 wrote:

The throbber, Kiai sections, beat snap divisors, and slider length snapping will all behave as they should.

But you will need to half your tick rate.
rust45
I'm not sure about this, I've mapped a relatively low BPM song (About 126) at 2.6 and I think that's just enough, any faster and it would be pretty hard to keep up with etnas. I know there are slower songs than 126, but I imagine those songs would be the more relaxing maps than challenging maps.

So I'm kinda neutral on this. But I do not agree with the use of Inherited sections as a workaround.
Kitsunemimi

rust45 wrote:

I'm not sure about this, I've mapped a relatively low BPM song (About 126) at 2.6 and I think that's just enough, any faster and it would be pretty hard to keep up with etnas. I know there are slower songs than 126, but I imagine those songs would be the more relaxing maps than challenging maps.
Kevin MacLeod - Rocket (the first example I could think of was my own map so yeah <.<)
BPM=116; Slider Speed=2.0

...Success rate=10%
Derekku

Harris73 wrote:

BPM=116; Slider Speed=2.0
Don't forget that your harder diff has 2.6 velocity, which I think _isn't_ fast for the bpm. This request has some potential...
ShaggoN
I support this request. Sometimes 2.6 is too slow, when I use 2x BPM i'ts too fast. This wouldn't be problem for whole beatmap (just 2x BPM, and low velocity). But it is problem, when You want to change sliders velocity in different sections.
RandomJibberish
That's a completely different issue, ShaggoN :P

I'm supporting this, as more mapper flexibility is always good.
Topic Starter
0_o
bump
ouranhshc
I support, i am mapping a song that has a bpm of 72.00 and 2.6 doesn't cut it.
Mismagius
Mapping 85BPM song, 2.6 is fucking slow.

Support.
peppy
This won't happen. If you are mapping a song with BPM that low, then you shouldn't NEED sliders that fast. Maybe you are mistaking the BPM and it should be double what you have?
Topic Starter
0_o

peppy wrote:

This won't happen. If you are mapping a song with BPM that low, then you shouldn't NEED sliders that fast. Maybe you are mistaking the BPM and it should be double what you have?
Well here's the song that I wanted a higher velocity for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXuhOj3-Ng
It's either 120 BPM or 240 BPM, but 240 just feels way too fast to me. The pulsing osu! logo imo looks much better pulsing to 120 BPM.
And sure 2.6x isn't exactly slow, but different mapping styles can call for faster sliders than others (I mapped the first minute at 120 BPM, 2.6x and the sliders still felt like they were dragging)

Though this IS more of an issue with maps in compound time like MetalMario pointed out since doubling the BPM doesn't work in those cases.
ouranhshc
peppy

0_o wrote:

Well here's the song that I wanted a higher velocity for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCXuhOj3-Ng
That is 240bpm.

Anyway my point is it you choose 120bpm, then the song won't need higher than 2.6. No matter your mapping style. If you are going higher it shouldn't be ranked because it would be stupid.
mm201
Using a 2x section for the entire map shouldn't be necessary.

Also, on occasion, this is insufficient because a 1.5x tick rate would be required.
peppy

MetalMario201 wrote:

Using a 2x section for the entire map shouldn't be necessary.
I never said it was. In fact, that is a stupid and WRONG way to go about it.

Read my post again.
Card N'FoRcE

peppy wrote:

0_o wrote:

Anyway my point is it you choose 120bpm, then the song won't need higher than 2.6. No matter your mapping style. If you are going higher it shouldn't be ranked because it would be stupid.
What about mapping "for fun"?
I mean, if i want to make a beatmap and export it to a .osz file and give it to someone? It doesn't involve ranking at all.

Also, i have a WIP slow song with 50BPM (i need this for KIAI, it looks bad at 100 BPM there) and i thought about the same thing, the limit of 2.6 just feels weird D:

(Should this work as a reminder for KIAI features request too?)
peppy
I like placing sane limits. If this limits your "mapping for fun" then sorry.
mm201
Space Oddity is an example of a map where I needed to double the BPM to achieve the desired slider speed. Consequentially, the throbber moves at twice the speed I'd like it to. Note that this slider speed is not bonkers--it is in fact kind of slowish, appropriate to the music.
Derekku
inb4 a request for an option in song setup to change the osu! logo pulse rate
mm201
Or tie it to countdown speed?
Derekku

MetalMario201 wrote:

Or tie it to countdown speed?
Possibly, but what about when the countdown isn't enabled?

Or if someone doesn't want the two to be the same. Etc.
Ekaru
Check the change log, guys. Now I'm just confused. But uh, I guess it got increased?
mm201
<3

...but remember, guys: Choosing a bad slider speed is a moddable offense.

...in fact, I think I will go request an AIMod warning when the slider speed exceeds a certain osupixels-per-second.
peppy
It already checks (as a difficulty mod). I guess it should warn on a stupid number, though.