forum

[resolved] Fullscreen forces 60hz refresh rate

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Warchamp7
Problem Details:
As title says, setting osu! to Fullscreen mode forces the screen to 60hz refresh instead of respecting what it was normally set to

Exists on stable and 20141208 cutting edge
VeilStar
As I said here...

VeilStar wrote:

Warchamp7 wrote:

Fullscreen, frame limit 60 FPS: Latency 15ms
This is due to Vsync, not raw input....
You probably have Vsync on in your graphics control panel.
Fullscreen doesn't force a 60hz refresh rate.

The reason why this doesn't happen in windowed mode is because it has to refresh the entire screen,
not just the window, so vsync can't be applied.
Topic Starter
Warchamp7

VeilStar wrote:

You probably have Vsync on in your graphics control panel.
Fullscreen doesn't force a 60hz refresh rate.

The reason why this doesn't happen in windowed mode is because it has to refresh the entire screen,
not just the window, so vsync can't be applied.
My monitor refresh rate changes from 144hz to 60hz when I toggle fullscreen mode in osu! Frame limiter or vsync have nothing to do with it.

It's not a control panel issue, it's an osu issue.
peppy
Have you tried setting the RefreshRate setting in your config file?

VeilStar

Warchamp7 wrote:

My monitor refresh rate changes from 144hz to 60hz when I toggle fullscreen mode in osu! Frame limiter or vsync have nothing to do with it.

It's not a control panel issue, it's an osu issue.
I see, misunderstood then. My bad.
Xilver15
Foneza

Xilver15 wrote:

Asking this just from a small theory I had.

Assuming you have a 60hz monitor and you change RefreshRate to 144, what's going to happen? I don't recommend this to anyone with a 60, I'm just wondering what will change and if it's good or not.
You'd probably get screen "tearing". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

I'd get better response putting at higher fps but that doesn't change your monitor refresh rate.

Woops, misread. Your monitor would "probably" won't accept and asks you to revert back to it's preferred refresh rate. Even if you get it to do it, it'll kill your monitor.
Topic Starter
Warchamp7

peppy wrote:

Have you tried setting the RefreshRate setting in your config file?

That worked. Is there a reason that value isn't exposed in the options anywhere? :o

Xilver15 wrote:

Asking this just from a small theory I had.

Assuming you have a 60hz monitor and you change RefreshRate to 144, what's going to happen? I don't recommend this to anyone with a 60, I'm just wondering what will change and if it's good or not.
By default, your settings in Windows and control panels won't let you choose refresh rates the monitor can't do. Sometimes you'll have an option to force them. Best case scenario it just won't work, worst case scenario you kill your monitor.
drum drum
Because it's not something common people know about and is probably best not to change
Topic Starter
Warchamp7

drum drum wrote:

Because it's not something common people know about and is probably best not to change
Still, osu should detect refresh rates or something and not just hardcode it into a config with no 'advanced' section outside of straight editing the file :\

Also, minor thing but changing that config value doesn't change the frame limiter calling 60 fps vsync :P