forum

[Guideline] Rankable file types/codecs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Lach
Sparsely mentioned throughout the ranking criteria is some random file types commonly used, but would it be possible to include a table of all allowed extensions and codecs? I believe this could be much more simple reference for your available choices in codecs, especially for newer mappers. And would also serve to clear up any confusion for cases like .ogg sound samples (Seriously, I'd like some confirmation on weather or not this is allowed to be ranked still, or merely supported for legacy reasons)

These are just some examples, and doesn't include everything, but the target would be a comprehensive list of supported file types supported by the current libraries included in the game. Preferably colour coded to illustrate if the codec or format is actually recommended or is simply "supported and rankable if the need arises".

Audio track: MP3 (LAME, Fraunhofer IIS) OGG (Vorbis)
Video: AVI (H.264, XviD) FLV (SV3, H.264)
Backgrounds/storyboard/skin elements: PNG, JPEG
Hitsounds/samples: WAV (PCM, ADPCM), MP3, OGG (Vorbis)
Recommended
Sub-optimal
Not recommended
Deprecated/legacy support

Partially inspired by This thread. Thoughts?
Tear
I support this. It should get a bit more in-depth with video though, like recommended/allowed H.264 profiles, mp3 bitrate/VBR quality etc..
Topic Starter
Lach

Tear wrote:

I support this. It should get a bit more in-depth with video though, like recommended/allowed H.264 profiles, mp3 bitrate/VBR quality etc..
Of course, it's just a quick mockup. I would assume an actual table designed for the wiki with more information can be written out.
Lust
Fully support. Definitely need something like this for those out there who aren't aware of such things (because it isn't quite clear cut).

Although this could just be a thread on the forums somewhere and linked to it from the wiki, I don't think it had to be in the RC imo
ArcherLove
OGG ?!

Support this !
Arzenvald
OGG when!? ;w;

ugh thanks for the link archerlove, i support this as well
Topic Starter
Lach

ArcherLove wrote:

OGG ?!

Support this !

ExUsagi wrote:

OGG when!? ;w;

ugh thanks for the link archerlove, i support this as well
Keep in mind this is not a request for formats to be supported, although I would like some clarification on it. It's a request for a table detailing all available and rankable codecs and formats that osu! supports, and any parameters that affect that grey area.

On the subject of .ogg, I'm curious as to why it isn't supported when it's clearly a widely used format, particularly in osu!mania with fully keysounded charts. A typical bms chart could consist of 300 or more individual files, and those 300+ uncompressed wav files could be 50mb+, as opposed to 13mb as .ogg.
Bara-
Can't you add mp4/mov in the editor?
If you can, I recommend adding them to this list
Topic Starter
Lach

baraatje123 wrote:

Can't you add mp4/mov in the editor?
If you can, I recommend adding them to this list
As far as I know, you can not. Otherwise mp4 would be better than avi for x264.
Bara-
Also
Where are the .wav for hitsounds?
Lust
Seems like discussions have been brought to a close and no real developments have been made. Give me a poke if you are still interested in continuing this.

Flaming