forum

Osu! on linux (With new installer)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeckedSpring67
Since the good old osume!.exe seems to not work I'm creating this thread.
I used Gentoo on an old intel 965 video card, Wine 1.7.29, winetricks.
So the first thing we're gonna do is creating a new win32 prefix
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.osu winecfg
after that we're gonna install dotnet20sp1 that is .NetFramework yadda yadda Micro$oft hell.
WINEPREFIX=~/.osu winetricks dotnet20sp1
I think you shouldn't install mono but since my gentoo box didn't ask for it I really don't know.
After The install is complete we're gonna download the osu! installer from here, http://m1.ppy.sh/r/osu!install.exe .
Open a Terminal console in the folder you downloaded it and run
WINEPREFIX=~/.osu wine osu\!install.exe
When it prompts to where you should install it put it in ~/.osu/drive_c/Program Files/ (where ~ is your home folder)
After that you successfully installed osu!!! to run it just create a really simple script, so
create a new sh file with your favourite text editor and write this
WINEPREFIX~/.osu/ wine ~/.osu/drive_c/Program\ Files/osu\!/osu\!.exe
then chmod it
chmod +x osu.sh
and run it
./osu.sh
You should now play osu! ENJOY (I could really create a script for this but I don't really have the time at the moment so try to follow the guide :D )
- Marco -
Great :)

Btw osume.exe does not work anymore because osu! now updates inside the client

Howl
well, forcing an update to osu! can still be done by doing

./osu\!.exe --repair

from terminal.
Topic Starter
DeckedSpring67

Howl wrote:

well, forcing an update to osu! can still be done by doing

./osu\!.exe --repair

from terminal.
You mean
./osu.sh --repair
?
Arnold0
I tried something similar, and got it running but even if FPS counter says >240fps, they seem realy low and it's not playable correctly at least in insanes or higher diff maps.
I'd say AR9 maps are possible to clean but impossible to FC it's too choppy. More than that and can't pass at all.
Doal boot Linux/Windows is the way to go if you want Linux for something and want the full experiance of osu!.
Also FPS limiter reset to 120fps each time the game restarts.

(Not using native res of my PC in the game hoping it will be less choppy changes it also in the complete system, lol)
- Marco -
or a virtual machine ;)
Arnold0
I don't know how linux work but I'll say WTF ?!
I set under nvidia settings the GPU to use as the integrated intel and the FPS that the FPS counter says are far lower but the game works far better, almost the same as on windows... :O
The only issue I have is instead of setting the tablet area on the drivers I have to se it using raw input, it work but it's a bit buggy

EDIT :

Could pass ar9.7 so not to bad I guess ^^". And it will use less power since it uses the intel gpu XD

RE-EDIT :
It did crash right now (idk how long it ran before crashing but was pretty long I played bunch of mùaps)
Also the terminal is spammed of this when it runs :

_xgeWireToEvent: Unknown extension 148, this should never happen.
(Like it already have 100~1000 times this line after like 2 mins of running)

Dunno what this is.
Howl
Managed to get it to work on archlinux. And it works just fine, except for the fact that urgh 60fps. But that's probably the combination shit laptop + lol Wine. Thanks for the guide!
TheTanadu
#Edit (Last problem I done) Now I have question, how I can turn my .sh file to "OpenGL" run? because when I normal open game I have DirectX(When I turn on OpenGL, game normal restart but have stoll Direct). I done your post, I must probably install OpenGL for Wine and give that to my bash, but how? :D Could you explain this to me?
Howl

TheTanadu wrote:

#Edit (Last problem I done) Now I have question, how I can turn my .sh file to "OpenGL" run? because when I normal open game I have DirectX(When I turn on OpenGL, game normal restart but have stoll Direct). I done your post, I must probably install OpenGL for Wine and give that to my bash, but how? :D Could you explain this to me?
Please, follow this guide instead: t/367783 - it is much more updated and it makes cuttingedge/stable4.5 run flawlessly.