forum

ALPS Switches and AULA Switches

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DahplA
So I was browsing Amazon.com and I found these two keyboard:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Switch/dp/B00JTPFJMQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417067759&sr=1-2&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+blue+switch
  2. http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RK-6000-Mechanical-Programmable-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B00G505M4S/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417067759&sr=1-4&keywords=mechanical+keyboard+blue+switch
These two use different switches from normal "Cherry MX" switches. Instead I've found that 1 is "ALPS" Switches" and "AULA Switches" (These are cheaper that Cherrys). Whilst watching a video I noticed that the Blue ALPS Switches sound and look very similar to normal Cherry MX Blues (I've never used, nor owned a mechanical kb).

My questions are:
  1. Does anyone own either an ALPS or AULA keyboard?
  2. Do they act similar to a Cherry MX kb (or at least better than rubber dome)?
  3. Should I purchase one to replace my rubber dome?
chainpullz
Or you could spend like $20 more and get actual cherry mx switches. I'm sure there will be even better deals on black friday too tbh. Would not be surprised if you could find a coolermaster for like $40 on friday.
Topic Starter
DahplA
I asked my friend to get it for me, and he said the price range had to be under $50.
Rewben2

DahplA wrote:

I asked my friend to get it for me, and he said the price range had to be under $50.
Interesting. Surely you can get it yourself? I have no idea what your situation is though.

I personally wouldn't upgrade. You might regret it down the line.
cheezstik
They really shouldn't be that much worse / different to cherry mx, that said, you could get cherry mx for $60, not that much more, if it absolutely has to be under $50 then maybe you shouldn't bother. I'd be happy with rubber domes, not like you need mechanical anyway.

Edit: Nvm, just looked it up, ALPS are very different to cherry mx, apparently much heavier and feels like shit after lots of use (e.g osu), might not be the best choice. AULA on the other hand is similar to Kailh, the switches that razer uses, they are a chinese clone of cherry mx and are meant to feel very similar to mx blues, if you were to go with either of these the AULA one is probably better.
Vuelo Eluko
but are they powered by Mountain Dew Game Fuel™?
chainpullz
Cherry MX are like $60 for a decent KB but I would be shocked if you couldn't find one on sale for less than $50 over black Friday or whatever the online equivalent is.
Topic Starter
DahplA

chainpullz wrote:

Cherry MX are like $60 for a decent KB but I would be shocked if you couldn't find one on sale for less than $50 over black Friday or whatever the online equivalent is.
Even if I found a Cherry for that price, the shipping fees still bump it up.

Rewben2 wrote:

Interesting. Surely you can get it yourself? I have no idea what your situation is though.
Christmas Present exchange (yes it is early, like I give a fuck).

Also regarding the topic, it's already been ordered...
Ohrami
Knit_old_1
I've got a couple of keyboards with White Alps, and they're alright for playing osu! with. I prefer how they feel compared to MX Blues, I have no problems playing osu! with them, keep in mind I'm also terrible at osu!. I don't think the heavier actuation force for White Alps is really an issue for playing osu!, unless you have girl fingers or something you should be fine mashing down on them for hours.
Ohrami
just do what I showed in the video and they should be lighter than the all 30g realforce