forum

Improving speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-JaZe-
I struggle to pass most maps that are 190+BPM and I'd like to work on my single tapping speed. I have a couple ideas on how to practice, but I'm not sure which is best.

1. Jump right into it: 210+ BPM until my fingers can't take it, then take a break. Repeat.

2. Slow and steady: spam 190 BPM until I get used to it, then go up to 200, then 210, etc.

3. DT: play 3-4 star maps on DT. Probably get a ton of pp in the process.

Thoughts?
B1rd
Do you have a mech keyboard? I found once I got once singletapping 240bpm was easy.
Topic Starter
-JaZe-

B1rd wrote:

Do you have a mech keyboard? I found once I got once singletapping 240bpm was easy.
I play on a das keyboard.

The problem is definitely me
cheezstik
Yousei Teikoku - Kokou no Sousei on insane is pretty good for single tap practice. If you don't train speed, it should be around the max or pushing your max single tap speed (240 BPM), and has the notes in decent sized bursts, not too long or short. It has low OD, but the spacing still makes it a little hard to hit.
Zare
singletapping is easy
You have to build up some basic reading ability, then you can start playing extremely fast maps fpr singletap practice. Even you need NoFail, as long as you're aware of what you're doing and not just mashing mindlessly, you should notice rather fast improvement.

Koukou is fun for that, but you could also try

Remind
Wonderful World
Rubik's Cube
Carnival
Speed
Chocolate
etc

Don't be scared by the high numbers, these maps only have very short instances of consecutive circles. If you cannot read these yet, you shouldn't worry about your singletap speed at all
Vuelo Eluko
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/46821

good map for singletap speed/stamina training. atleast for me
Woobowiz
Just to let you know, you improve your speed FAR faster if you play maps where you barely tense up when single tapping or streaming. Tensing leads to locking up and nervousness, which heavily inhibits your ability. If you notice you're tensing up/stressing at 220 bpm single taps, then tone down to 210 and see if you tense as much. Same for streams, tensing a lot leads to poor finger control and mashing, so pick a streaming speed that you barely tense up on and get streaming. Your motor functions over time will become more refined as you continue to do this.
Vuelo Eluko

Woobowiz wrote:

Just to let you know, you improve your speed FAR faster if you play maps where you barely tense up when single tapping or streaming. Tensing leads to locking up and nervousness, which heavily inhibits your ability. If you notice you're tensing up/stressing at 220 bpm single taps, then tone down to 210 and see if you tense as much. Same for streams, tensing a lot leads to poor finger control and mashing, so pick a streaming speed that you barely tense up on and get streaming. Your motor functions over time will become more refined as you continue to do this.
i think as long as you arent vibrating its fine, you'd be limiting your progress speed-wise if you never went so fast you tensed up because thats pretty much inevitable if you're pushing your speed. playing at speeds where you never tense will mostly just train accuracy

just imo pls dont hit me
Topic Starter
-JaZe-

cheezstik wrote:

Yousei Teikoku - Kokou no Sousei on insane is pretty good for single tap practice. If you don't train speed, it should be around the max or pushing your max single tap speed (240 BPM), and has the notes in decent sized bursts, not too long or short. It has low OD, but the spacing still makes it a little hard to hit.
Last time I tried this (admittedly, that was more than a few months ago, and before I got my tablet) it was way too fast, but I'll give it a shot

Zare wrote:

singletapping is easy
You have to build up some basic reading ability, then you can start playing extremely fast maps fpr singletap practice. Even you need NoFail, as long as you're aware of what you're doing and not just mashing mindlessly, you should notice rather fast improvement.

Koukou is fun for that, but you could also try

Remind
Wonderful World
Rubik's Cube
Carnival
Speed
Chocolate
etc

Don't be scared by the high numbers, these maps only have very short instances of consecutive circles. If you cannot read these yet, you shouldn't worry about your singletap speed at all
Some of these are definitely too hard (remind) but I'll try the rest. I'm not convinced that reading is my problem here, as I bet I would fail a map that is literally notes stacked on each other at 240 bpm.

Riince wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/46821

good map for singletap speed/stamina training. atleast for me
Possibly a bit slow for me, unless you're saying to single-tap the triples which I definitely can't do

Woobowiz wrote:

I feel like I tense up as low as 190 BPM :( I also think I might be using too much of my body to hit the keys which screws up my aim as well. I'm not really sure why I do this or how to fix it. I never had these problems at 180 BPM
Vuelo Eluko

-JaZe- wrote:

Possibly a bit slow for me, unless you're saying to single-tap the triples which I definitely can't do
i singletap the whole map including the streams, thats where the real speed+stamina test comes, just trying to hit every note without missing or vibrating on the streams is great physical training
Topic Starter
-JaZe-

Riince wrote:

-JaZe- wrote:

i singletap the whole map including the streams, thats where the real speed+stamina test comes, just trying to hit every note without missing or vibrating on the streams is great training physically
How the firetruck?

Though I guess single-tapping streams is one way to increase speed