forum

Cherry MX switches ;_;

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GixShu
Hi! So... I'm having a hard choice between choosing MX Reds or MX Blues. I would go for the blues, because I LOVE feedback on keyboards, but I've heard that blues might not be suitable for Osu!... Then I thought: ''What if I take MX Reds? Everybody says they're the best for Osu!...'' That's where it got problematic. I read a topic where they were also discussing about MX switches, but it was only like: ''Take reds,every pro player uses them...'' and some of them also said to take blues, because reds might not be the best for your first mechanical keyboard, but still,nobody gave quality help.. But I myself, think I COULD get used to the non- tactile feel, but it would take some time... So. If you have any suggestions, write them down :v I would highly appreciate it!
csgutier
Cherry blue for better accuracy and red for speed-stamina. I see your accuracy is a bit low maybe blue is better for you.
B1rd
brown?
Topic Starter
GixShu

B1rd wrote:

brown?
Browns... I do not like the idea of them being mushy like reds, yet, tactile like blue :v
Vuelo Eluko

csgutier wrote:

Cherry blue for better accuracy and red for speed-stamina. I see your accuracy is a bit low maybe blue is better for you.
blues are bad for acc the loud clicking can distract
Topic Starter
GixShu

Riince wrote:

csgutier wrote:

I've just heard that the click gives you the feedback, which can improve the sense of rhythm... :V
KarateChopKoala
Don't get blue switches. They suck at fast multiple key taps (details below). Amazing for typing though. I strongly recommend red keys.

The way the switch works on blue switches is the click point is below the reset point, and it takes a split second longer for the key to come all the way back up past the click point (not noticeable really while typing). What tends to happen then is the key seems to be all the way up when you double tap it, but the second tap won't register even when you feel the click (or you won't even get the click if you tap very fast).
What does this mean for typing? No real down side, and the click is good for typing rythm IMO.
What does this mean for Osu!? Any time you get a lot of fast tapping (so most maps above a 2* rating) there's the chance your fast repeated key strokes won't register, or the key won't pass the click point before you need to tap it again. The faster the beatmap, the more this will be noticeable.

With Red switches as far as I know the reset point is a bit lower, without the delay of resetting a clicker, so it's a lot better for rapid key mashing (like Osu!) where every tap matters. Black switches are even better because the harder springs cause the key to rise faster, but then it take more effort to push down, causing tired fingers after longer sessions. If I remember correctly on Brown switches the reset point is below the clicker, so it doesn't have the double tap issue, while still having tactile (but less audible) feedback.

This is why on many reviews/explanations of cherry switches you'll see they refer to Blues as the best for typing but not for gaming a lot of the time. I always forget what was special about Greens but many people recommend them along with browns for typing/gaming mixture (a quick google on Cherry Switch types should bring up a page with gif animations and explanations on how the switches differ, along with force required to press, time to reset and other details)
Woppitydoo
Red switches are the best for gaming and I like the sound they make.
Paco
I'd say red!
Raniemi
I have blue switches but I've also tried red switches. I felt noticeable lighter difference on the red switches but it's harder to tell where the actuation point is when you first use them so I guess the blues can help with accuracy.
DeletedUser_3905941
Treekii
Red or go home. Browns are alright too. I wouldn't use anything else for osu.
[Bystander]
My personal opinion
Reds are best for osu!
Browns are the best for typing
Blacks are ok too
byfar

KarateChopKoala wrote:

Don't get blue switches. They suck at fast multiple key taps (details below). Amazing for typing though. I strongly recommend red keys.

The way the switch works on blue switches is the click point is below the reset point, and it takes a split second longer for the key to come all the way back up past the click point (not noticeable really while typing). What tends to happen then is the key seems to be all the way up when you double tap it, but the second tap won't register even when you feel the click (or you won't even get the click if you tap very fast).
What does this mean for typing? No real down side, and the click is good for typing rythm IMO.
What does this mean for Osu!? Any time you get a lot of fast tapping (so most maps above a 2* rating) there's the chance your fast repeated key strokes won't register, or the key won't pass the click point before you need to tap it again. The faster the beatmap, the more this will be noticeable.

With Red switches as far as I know the reset point is a bit lower, without the delay of resetting a clicker, so it's a lot better for rapid key mashing (like Osu!) where every tap matters. Black switches are even better because the harder springs cause the key to rise faster, but then it take more effort to push down, causing tired fingers after longer sessions. If I remember correctly on Brown switches the reset point is below the clicker, so it doesn't have the double tap issue, while still having tactile (but less audible) feedback.

This is why on many reviews/explanations of cherry switches you'll see they refer to Blues as the best for typing but not for gaming a lot of the time. I always forget what was special about Greens but many people recommend them along with browns for typing/gaming mixture (a quick google on Cherry Switch types should bring up a page with gif animations and explanations on how the switches differ, along with force required to press, time to reset and other details)
Blues aren't optimal, however they aren't terrible either.

I can single tap on 240 bpm dt maps fairly easily on blues

Riince wrote:

csgutier wrote:

1. They aren't bad for acc lol
2. That's why you get soundproof headphones bruh
Shrik
I go for the classic http://puu.sh/cyRrM.jpg
It contains all dank hidden in a stash beneath the keys, a superb 10/10 from faze and ign.

srs doe dats mai keybored
Wlesh
I have keyboards with both switches and for me reds are working waaaaay better than blues, tho blues are more fun to type on.
Taiko vas more fun with blues too, as I was using the click as my hitsound.
Topic Starter
GixShu
Okay... I've decided that I will get reds, but now the question is... Corsair K65 or Quickfire TK?
KarateChopKoala
Personally I'm getting a Corsair K70 next month because the way the keys sit above the frame seems like it would make it easier to clean out dust/debris (I have dogs and I'm a smoker so it gets messy under the keys fast). I haven't seen any complaints about the QuickFire keyboards so I don't think you can go wrong with them. You might be able to get a Ducky or DAS keyboard though, many regard them as the best of the best mechanical keyboards (I would be going with a Ducky if it wasn't close to double the normal price in my country)
Nathan
Quickfire TK is slightly cheaper and the backlight is amazing