forum

Is there a general learning curve as maps gets harder?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rep_old_1
So I was able to beat Easy maps fairly quickly when I first started, but it took me a few weeks to be able to beat Normal maps..I've played for about 4 months now (7,400 play count) but I can't beat most hard maps (~3.0+ stars) without guessing notes/spamming, even though they're all I practice these days.

About how long did it take you on average (time/play count) to be able to properly read Hard maps?
Kouya-
Hmm, it took me to master hard 3 months in, considering how much I suck at this game .(which I still do . )
cheezstik
Within my first week and <1000 playcount, I could farm easies and normals with DT+HR and achieve 90%+ accuracy FC. Within my first month and ~2k playcount I could FC easy-midrange hards. Took me around 5k playcount and 3 months until I could FC 3.5-4 star insanes, and maybe 8k and 4 months until I could FC 4-4.5 stars. Around 10k playcount, I picked up DT, mostly applying DT to 3-4 star hards / insanes, making them end up at 4.5-5.5 stars. I still can't DT these songs with decent accuracy most of the time, but I can play them well enough to get PP. (I've been playing 6 months now)

I'm fairly sure that my time / playcount to rank ratio is pretty bad, as I see people with much lower time / playcount and much better rank, but this is probably cos of my well below average accuracy, which costs me in PP massively. This is probably pretty inaccurate, as when I first picked up osu, I didn't play anywhere near as much as I do now, as you can see in my historical graph, I average at like 1k playcount per month, and slowly move up each month until I end up at nearly 4k per month.
E m i

repath wrote:

So I was able to beat Easy maps fairly quickly when I first started, but it took me a few weeks to be able to beat Normal maps..I've played for about 4 months now (7,400 play count) but I can't beat most hard maps (~3.0+ stars) without guessing notes/spamming, even though they're all I practice these days.

About how long did it take you on average (time/play count) to be able to properly read Hard maps?
I can't properly read Hard maps. except with hard rock

I had the same situation when I was playing mouse only. At 12k playcount I couldn't FC hards because I couldn't read the low AR, and I couldn't FC insanes because my aim was terrible. Then I got a tablet. and my aim didn't improve
tl;dr get a tablet and skip hards
:idea: play more :idea:
Gumpy
Improve at your own pace no one improves at the same rate.
- Milhofo -
It really depends on the player, ~half my playcount was from playing up to hard diffs, after that I've had a big improvement just because I had put more time and practice into the game (maybe a bit too much lol). If you just keep playing you'll see improvements almost every week because you're practicing, just keep in mind you should be playing maps above your skill ceiling from time to time.
Blanky
Took me a week to start fcing 4 stars, but I did play like 8 hours daily then.
otoed1
I spent 347 plays on the exact same hard map before passing it. That might says something about learning curves.
Vuelo Eluko

otoed1 wrote:

I spent 347 plays on the exact same hard map before passing it. That might says something about learning curves.
i had to play a certain map 230 times before passing it. try and guess
Topic Starter
rep_old_1

otoed1 wrote:

I just tried that map, and only missed 17 notes 8-)
byfar

Riince wrote:

i had to play a certain map 230 times before passing it. try and guess
Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - Scream Hard as You Can [Insane]

repath wrote:

i spammed 2 certain hard maps (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/351188&m=0 first) ( then https://osu.ppy.sh/b/374113&m=0) on the day i started playing for 2 weeks becuz i didnt want to download new maps :/ then after around 200 FULL plays (no retries in middle unless i fail)

before moving up to 3.5* then 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, then 4 stars then 4.1* 4.2* 4.3* 4.4* 4.5* 5* 6* back to 4.5 fcing then 5 star fcing

basically i stayed at each 0.1 star range per week and went back to fcing lower stars for consistency
Topic Starter
rep_old_1

byfar wrote:

i spammed 2 certain hard maps (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/351188&m=0 first) ( then https://osu.ppy.sh/b/374113&m=0) on the day i started playing for 2 weeks becuz i didnt want to download new maps :/ then after around 200 FULL plays (no retries in middle unless i fail)
LOL
byfar

repath wrote:

byfar wrote:

LOL
unfortunately.
Green Platinum

Blanky wrote:

Took me a week to start fcing 4 stars, but I did play like 8 hours daily then.
Old or Current difficulty system?
nrl

Green Platinum wrote:

Old or Current difficulty system?
Old. Even at 8 hours a day no one could reach 4* that quickly in the new system.
chainpullz
You'll eventually hit a point where your rank will start flat lining followed by huge jumps. This typically happens when you are at a point where you get 1-5 misses (5 for like 4 minute songs maybe) or a slider break here and there on songs that would give a lot of pp. You'll have a good day where everything clicks and all those songs that you got like 0pp for because of those damned slider breaks turn into full combos. You'll find that within a week or two you can full combo those and wonder why you ever had a miss/slider break to begin with. You'll jump up a bunch of ranks, and then you'll hit a new wall.

That or you can fool yourself into playing AR8DT and consistently gain ranks until you hit like rank 4k then realize that your accuracy is like 96% and you need to play 6*+ songs just to get pp with that accuracy. Then you will go on the forums and start telling flyingkebab people that they shouldn't be trying to play DT at rank 30k.
nrl
lel
cheezstik

chainpullz wrote:

That or you can fool yourself into playing AR8DT and consistently gain ranks until you hit like rank 4k then realize that your accuracy is like 96% and you need to play 6*+ songs just to get pp with that accuracy. Then you will go on the forums and start telling flyingkebab people that they shouldn't be trying to play DT at rank 30k.
I know you're just messing around, but for anyone wondering anyway, this is pretty unlikely. By the time you hit a point (well before 4k) with insufficient accuracy, it will become more likely / easy for you to improve accuracy than it would be for you to fc crazy 6 star shit. You'd have to be a pretty crazy masher and no-fail player to get to a good rank with terrible accuracy.
Mystrian_old
I began playing Appoarch Rate 8 when I started, then got ranks, then I started getting C's so now i'm starting to practice accuracy. Yeah, don't do what I do.
byfar

chainpullz wrote:

You'll eventually hit a point where your rank will start flat lining followed by huge jumps. This typically happens when you are at a point where you get 1-5 misses (5 for like 4 minute songs maybe) or a slider break here and there on songs that would give a lot of pp. You'll have a good day where everything clicks and all those songs that you got like 0pp for because of those damned slider breaks turn into full combos. You'll find that within a week or two you can full combo those and wonder why you ever had a miss/slider break to begin with. You'll jump up a bunch of ranks, and then you'll hit a new wall.

are u hating on ar8dt? :(

96% accuracy boys

ar8dt = 9.6 ar
coincidence much?