forum

Is my tablet area set incorrectly?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
dance
I'm using full area on my wacom ctl480 (my laptop resolution is 1366x768, my osu resolution is 800x600 windowed). I hold my pen about half way up and rest my wrist in front of the tablet, allowing my hand and fingers to hover over it.

I am unable to reach the bottom right and upper left corners without either extending my fingers in that direction (which isn't very accurate and results in a lot of misses, and also causes me to lift the pen too high) or to slightly lift my wrist to move my arm in that direction.

I will possibly make my area smaller, but I'm confused as to how people use full area without a problem like this. Is it my grip? The one I'm using is very similar to WWW if you are familiar with his.

Any advice?
Green Platinum
If you can't reach the corners make the area smaller how is this a problem?

People have different hands and thus find different things comfortable. Play with and work out what is good for you.
winber1
yes
byfar
i'm using 3/5 area with fullscreen and I have to move my finger and sometimes my hands as well.

you can adjust to a smaller area but larger areas have its own benefits of higher potential accuracy in the long run.

its like how i drag and how my entire hand doesnt touch the tablet while dragging, seems stupid but it works.
Gumpy
Since you can't reach the top and bottom just make those parts less tall, basically make it a rectangle.
Dexus
Map it to an area where you can reach all four corners without having to move your whole arm a lot (it should be predominantly finger/wrist movement).
If you start to get a shaky cursor due to a small area then increase the area by 5% until it smooths out.
Also, map the screen region to the game window so you can get a more accurate measurement of your tablet area.
Generally you want to avoid extremes: too large of an area or too small.
As for your pen grip hold it however you find comfortable, just don't make yourself have to think more than you have to when aiming with it. I personally find holding it like an ordinary pen does fine. If you need to drag for stability/accuracy try that out as well (works for some people).
Bauxe

dance wrote:

very similar to WWW if you are familiar with his.
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

You know you don't get pro by copying how people hold their pen right?
Dexus
big bauxe box
edit: daw damn it fixed itself somehow(?)
chainpullz
Plenty of people use their wrist/arms on jumps. Pick an area that you like and play with it and PRACTICE.
Bauxe

Dexus wrote:

big bauxe box
edit: daw damn it fixed itself somehow(?)
Fixed 2 not break forums. :^)
Arin Kaylin
Set your area to one that is comfortable for you to play with. I play full screen and I have my area set to about the same size as a credit card.
Vuelo Eluko
i copied jesse's grip and i've already lost most flexibility and grip strength in my aiming hand and its pretty much stuck in the pen holding position at all times now.

not that it's really a problem.
Syphist
Play with whatever feels right to you. I recently settled on a 1.80" x 1.01" area on my Huion 420. Just play with it, but I would recommend retaining the aspect ratio.
tecu

Bauxe wrote:

Why is it that every time I see someone ask about the play style of a known player, a bunch of Reddit shitlords just have to appear to point out that copying isn't going to make you better (or in this case, pro even)? Hell, he wasn't even implying it would. It's not like he necessarily copied anything - he was merely saying his grip resembles that of WWW.

Besides, thinking about things to do with play style (comparing styles, experimenting, finding out what works for you) can help you get better. Oftentimes the infamous whatever feels right isn't the intuitive thing that you do the first time you start playing. Can you please let people ask questions, find out what alternatives there are, try them out, and figure out what's the best themselves?

I've read this bullshit as an answer to an innocent question for so many times that it's starting to get annoying. Posting this shit doesn't make you seem any smarter, nor does it contribute to the discussion at all. Can you please just stop?
Karuta-_old_1

dance wrote:

I will possibly make my area smaller, but I'm confused as to how people use full area without a problem like this. Is it my grip? The one I'm using is very similar to WWW if you are familiar with his.

Any advice?
No, any tablet area is correct as long as the tablet can work within the active area

check this thread out t/47504&start=0, there are all kinds of area
also this t/191703/start=15
*Larger area works better for streams and Smaller area works better for jumps*
People who use full area probably have to move their arm for jumps, and people who use the smallest area probably have to focus more because of how sensitive the movements are. I have heard thelewa suggesting full larger area but he is stuck with small active area

tecu wrote:

I've read this bullshit as an answer to an innocent question for so many times that it's starting to get annoying. Posting this shit doesn't make you seem any smarter, nor does it contribute to the discussion at all. Can you please just stop?
Tecu, you are thinking too deep
Stupid questions gets stupid answer and that is how things have worked around here
chainpullz

tecu wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Why is it that every time I see someone ask about the play style of a known player, a bunch of Reddit shitlords just have to appear to point out that copying isn't going to make you better (or in this case, pro even)? Hell, he wasn't even implying it would. It's not like he necessarily copied anything - he was merely saying his grip resembles that of WWW.

Besides, thinking about things to do with play style (comparing styles, experimenting, finding out what works for you) can help you get better. Oftentimes the infamous whatever feels right isn't the intuitive thing that you do the first time you start playing. Can you please let people ask questions, find out what alternatives there are, try them out, and figure out what's the best themselves?

So there's this thing. It's called "google custom search." It magically finds the thread where people gave constructive answers to the question of tablet area. If you don't use this magical feature we have every right to answer how we wish.