forum

Warnings on maps that have flashes [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Cuddlebun
Don't mean to complain, but I am slightly tired of playing maps that flash wildly. I have a mild form of epilepsy, and can handle most flashes that come along with storyboarding but there are several maps that I simply can't play due to bright, sudden/repeated flashes. I've actually been brought close to seizure by some maps, especially those like happy30 seems fond of making (don't mean to single him out)

I'm not saying no maps with flashes. I'd just like a warning so I know what maps not to download or which maps to go in and delete the sb file that makes it flash.

Or I'm just whining, I guess.
Derekku
Nah, I was thinking about this too the other day. "This really doesn't affect me too much, but what about others? :/" For maps with multiple strobes, there really should be some kind of warning.
peppy
There is supposed to be a warning placed at the top of the forum thread so it appears in beatmap info. If this is not being done, some BAT members aren't doing their job. I'll add it to the ranking criteria, anyway.
rust45
What if the person downloads the map through osu! Direct? How are they supposed to know what the Info said if they didn't go to the page? Personally I think it should be required to be SBed in if there are flashes in the map that could cause a seizure.
Derekku
Perhaps a warning at the beginning of a map like for unranked plays? (Or is that asking too much?)
0_o

Derekku Chan wrote:

Perhaps a warning at the beginning of a map like for unranked plays? (Or is that asking too much?)
This sounds like a good idea to me.
Shohei Ohtani
Approved Takio maps with flashing lights is going to be fun to start up.
-David
a
Jarby
What peppy said was what I thought was the standard. A simple message in the description would be fine, though some indication for osu!direct users would be helpful.
peppy
I will probably add a toggle in the next build of osu! which will allow this to be displayed at the beginning of the map.

Topic Starter
Cuddlebun
That would be lovely, thank you.
TKiller
this would be really cool. Some flashes not only make the map hard to read, but actually make me eyes hurt. And that's painful. Of course, I can simply delete the SB, but I won't know that there are such flashes till I play it 1st time. And I doubt that I'm the only one experiensing such problems.
LuigiHann
If we're going to start flagging strobey maps, I could use some feedback on how much flashing is too much flashing, like what side of the line does Clint Eastwood fall on.

I'm aware that there are some maps with near-constant white-against-black strobes, but I only personally know about one of them, so if people could start making big lists of the worst offenders that will make things easier for everybody I think
Topic Starter
Cuddlebun
I'd have to really think about this but the first ones that come to mind are James's Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone and several of happy30's maps like Xepher and The Dirty of Loudness. Can't think of any others at the moment, but it's mostly common sense. I can handle one or two flashes and sometimes even several at once if I'm expecting it, but usually more than three spark a reaction.

told LH but Clint Eastwood doesn't bother me at all; the lightning isn't relatively bright and confined to one part of the screen, whereas I have trouble with sudden BRIGHT flashes that usually take up the entire screen.
Gens
Maybe add a similar warning to maps with mature/explicit content? Ass Up!, for example.
Kitsunemimi
We also need warnings for maps with difficult obstacles (like 1/4ths in [Normal]s <.<) beyond the star rating system. Perhaps we can have BATs identify these before ranking.
peppy

Harris73 wrote:

We also need warnings for maps with difficult obstacles (like 1/4ths in [Normal]s <.<) beyond the star rating system. Perhaps we can have BATs identify these before ranking.
No.
Topic Starter
Cuddlebun
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Jarby
The exclamation mark is too high up on that sign.
An64fan
This has actually been something that's bothered me for months, although I never actually brought it up. I'm glad to see it being addressed, though (although I'm surprised it's taken so long).

I second JJJ's feedback on the sign. I also find the red a little difficult to read, although otherwise I like how it looks.