forum

Need help with switching from mouse to keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Solmeander
So I have played this game for almost a year now, thanks to Flosd/BoxBox showing it to me on stream when I saw him smurfing at the time.
I tried the game out, and I loved it. I wanted to get good at it. Unfortunately I haven't improved too much. I am only at 500 pp, and I am really inconsistent when it comes to playing songs.

As the title implies, I am used to playing on my mouse instead of using Z/X. This is because my Left hand ends up getting tired from spamming Z/X. i can't alternate unless I do so for streams, and soon enough, I fail at songs I feel I could probably do on my mouse alone. I want to switch because my right hand eventually gets all shaky, and then I can't FC properly. and maybe even fail the song (though later than playing Keyboard, though.)

Any tips on how to play on keyboard? I already switched my ZX to 3 and 4 at the top.

Any and all input would be nice. No negative feedback please. I am being very serious. Thank you!
EDIT: Another reason I wish to switch to keyboard is because of spinners. I can do sufficient spins, but only to about 2k points max. When I use the keyboard, I can actually spin at the center, and it feels much more comfortable doing so.

EDIT: Thanks. I'll be sure to try working on the stamina. Doing things for an extended period of time was never a strong point for me. I figured that I will have to build this up soon enough. Day 2 of Keyboarding by the way! :D
akitoApocalypse
I wouldn't suggest 3 and 4 because it seems too up for me on the keyboard.
I would suggest choosing some keys down lower on the keyboard.
And as some videos on youtube suggest, it helps to put some pillows or something under both of your elbows so they don't get too tired from supporting itself.
But the main thing to do is to practice and gain more finger and arm muscles :P
cheezstik
You have done the correct thing in switching to keyboard instead of mouse only, as it is a more efficient way of playing. The only thing you can really do is keep playing, your stamina will improve over time. I took a whole week to get used to keyboard when I switched, it was to the point of not being able to pass easy maps at the start. The keys you use is all preference, if 3 and 4 make your hand more comfortable, then use them, but it won't automatically make you better. I still use the default z/x, and could probably switch them to any two keys next to each other and it wouldn't make much difference.

If your left hand is just that behind or you are left handed or something, you could just play mouse only like you used to. How to fix the shaky problem is to just lower sensitivity, mouse only requires a really steady hand and low sensitivity so you can aim accurately while clicking the mouse. I wouldn't go any higher than 800-1000 DPI @ 1080p.
Genki1000
I don't think there's anything wrong with mouse only. I tried keyboard a while back for a few thousand plays, but I just couldn't play as well as mouse only. My accuracy was going everywhere and I had a lot more random misses, not to mention my aim also felt too unstable.

But if you find keyboard more enjoyable, or plan to get a tablet later, then by all means go ahead.