forum

Solution to running latest Osu! on Wine.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frowned
Because of the .net 4.0 requirement osu doesn't install run on wine anymore however I have found a workaround for this and for a bug in the Osu Installer.

Steps:
  1. Install the following winetricks in a new 32bit prefix (in order given):
    d3dx9_43
    d3dx11_43
    dotnet35
    dotnet40
    xna40
    cjkfonts
  2. download and run osu!install.exe
  3. continue installation until you get an error message DO NOT CLOSE THE ERROR MESSAGE.
  4. browse to the prefix's "Program Files" directory
  5. rename the "osu!" directory to "osu!n"
  6. close the error message and exit the installer
  7. rename "osu!n" back to "osu!" and run "osu!.exe"
  8. login to bancho and TELL OSU TO SAVE YOUR PASSWORD and update osu!, if you don't save your password you will be unable to log in after you have updated.
  9. don't logout of osu!, simply exit, if you do accidentally logout a fix is posted below.
Fix for unable to login due to logout with latest Osu! version:
  1. start Osu!
  2. login to osu and TELL OSU TO SAVE YOUR PASSWORD, when osu freezes up on login use WINE TASKMANGER to end task it (don't use your system task manager)
  3. restart osu! and it will log you in automatically.
Espionage724
You don't need the osu! installer to get osu! running on Wine. You just need osume.exe, which downloads all required files.

While you may be able to get the installer running, the amount of winetrick packages you need (according to your list) is extreme. When using the osume.exe method (I listed instructions at the link in my signature), you only need dotnet20.

Alternatively, the updated osu!.exe based on the new streaming updates release also downloads all required files, but I wasn't able to get it working; would need some more experimenting later, but I have a feeling it relies on more than dotnet20.
peppy
I'd love any log output you get trying to run the new updater under wine. It *should* still work with the same requirements as osume.exe, so please give me all the information you can.
FunkySayu
For future people who will look at this thread with some new releases of wine, please write the current version of wine in the main topic (1.7.27 unstable or 1.6.2 stable)
Topic Starter
Frowned

Espionage724 wrote:

but I have a feeling it relies on more than dotnet20.
It relys on xna4 (which can be provided by monogame) which relys on dotnet40 which is why I have both in my list of winetricks.
dotnet35 is required to install dotnet40 correctly which is why it is on the list.
cjkfonts is required to read non-english text in osu.
and the directx winetricks are for compatability/stability purposes, they aren't necessary.