forum

Mechanical Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1
This post is no reflection on my opinion and just is a incite for those who are looking or are wanting a mechanical keyboard.

Note that this isn't a post for war for which type of keyboard or which brand is better, please try to keep it civilized. Also if you have a question, just type one out and someone else or I will leave a response.

I also will be going over the more common type of Mechanical keyboards and will list some pros and cons and give a bit of details on the keyboard, mainly pros.

Linear Switches
Linear Switch: Most common -Red & Black

-Red Cherry MX Keybords
Red Cherry MX Keyboard contain Red MXs. These type of MXs are common in gaming, also brown and red have the lowest actuation, meaning that they are the fastest to recognize a key hit. Since they have such a low actuation it can save you time in games that demand fast movement of the keyboard like starcraft. These switches are very lightweight, so tapping fast is viable. There are some cons to the reds though. They have fore short life spans over the other MXs at a average of 50 million key strokes unfortunately. A con of preference is that they are linear and are not the clicky sound you find in Blue MXs or Greens, also they are linear which some find a con meaning that they don't have a bump or click. They just go straight up and down.

-Black Cherry MX
Black MXs are the heavier version of Red MXs, so to say. They have a medium to high actuation making them a bit tougher to hit than the reds. They might be heavier, but you will get used to it and it's just really the preference point between reds or blacks. Since they are heavier, they are less likely to have accidental key hits. Also the stronger spring makes them have a faster rebound, meaning that they can be very quick like the reds, but needs some force.
There are a few cons, such as people don't like the heaviness over the reds. Also they can tire your fingers out a bit since they require more force.

Tactile Clicky & Non-Clicky
There are two types of tactile switches, Brown which is tactile, but clicky. There is blue and green which are tactile and clicky.

Tactile Non-Clicky: Most common -Brown

-Brown Cherry MX
Brown are a soft subtle hit, with a bump but not a click. Browns are very soft compared to Blues. Browns are a good middle-of-the-road option appropriate for both typing and gaming. They are much softer sounding than Blues, but still have a bit of noise. Though most Browns come in as a tk (tenkeyless) and are much shorter thatn the average keyboard, which really isn't a con. Really, the only con is that they aren't loud or clicky like Blues if you like that.

Tactile Clicky: Most common -Blue & Green

-Blue Cherry MX
Blues are what most people know mechanical keyboards for, those loud clicky keyboards. They are becoming popular recently and ever since the patent for Cherry MX went down, brands such as Kahil have been manufacturing mainly Blue MXs. Other than that, Blue switches sound and just feel great when clicking. The Blue clicky switches add a deliberately louder click sound to the existing tactile bump, allowing for greater typing feedback. This makes it easier to know that you've hit the activation point. Blue switches are favored by typists due to their tactile bump and audible click, but can be less suitable for gaming as the weighting is relatively high. and it is a bit harder to double tap, as the release point is above the actuation point. There are some cons, such as if you aren't looking for a loud keyboard, or you don't enjoy the feedback given by the keyboard. Though something great about Blues is that they generally live longer than your red and black switches and have a larger range of keystrokes.

-Green Cherry MX
Green switches are the strongest of all switches, even though they aren't that common they are the loudest of all. switches are a stiffer version of Blue switches, with a tactile bump and audible click, primarily seen in space bars for keyboards and it's common for a brand to do so. Nothing much to talk about the greens, just that a lot of companies /brands add a green switch for space bars which I wanted to point out.

Uncommon Switches
There are also many more switches, which they aren't as common, but I will list them and give a little description.

-Clear switches are a stiffer version of Brown switches, with a tactile bump.

-Grey switches are used for space bars on Clear keyboards.

-White switches are very similar to green switches, with modern versions being weighted the same but being slightly quieter.

-Super Black switches are extra stiff linear switches designed for space bars on keyboards with Black switches.

-Dark Grey switches are moderately more stiff linear switches designed for use as space bars on keyboards with Cherry MX Black switches.

-Cherry MX Lock switches are locking linear switches that stay down until pressed again, typically used for Caps Lock and TTY lock in keyboards before the 1980s.

-Common mechanical keyboard sellers: Razer, DAS, Ducky, Steelseries, Logitech, IBM, Rosewill, Corsair, WASD, etc.
[/color][/b]

Non-Mechanical Keyboards
I would also like to talk a bit about non-mechanical keyboards and explain them a bit.

-Standard Keyboards
Standard alphanumeric keyboards have keys that are on three-quarter inch centers (0.750 inches, 19.05 mm), desktop computer keyboards, such as the 101-key US traditional keyboards or the 104-key Windows keyboards, include alphabetic characters, punctuation symbols, numbers and a variety of function keys. The internationally common 102/105 key keyboards have a smaller left shift key and an additional key with some more symbols between that and the letter to its right (usually Z or Y). Also the enter key is usually shaped differently. Computer keyboards are similar to electric-typewriter keyboards but contain additional keys, such as the command or Windows keys.

-Laptop-size
Keyboards on laptops and notebook computers usually have a shorter travel distance for the keystroke, shorter over travel distance, and a reduced set of keys. They may not have a numerical keypad, and the function keys may be placed in locations that differ from their placement on a standard, full-sized keyboard. The switch mechanism for a laptop keyboard is more likely to be a scissor switch than a rubber dome; this is opposite the trend for full-size keyboards.

-Handheld
Handheld ergonomic keyboards are designed to be held like a game controller, and can be used as such, instead of laid out flat on top of a table surface. Typically handheld keyboards hold all the alphanumeric keys and symbols that a standard keyboard would have, yet only be accessed by pressing two sets of keys at once; one acting as a function key similar to a 'Shift' key that would allow for capital letters on a standard keyboard. Handheld keyboards allow the user the ability to move around a room or to lean back on a chair while also being able to type in front or away from the computer. Some variations of handheld ergonomic keyboards also include a trackball mouse that allow mouse movement and typing included in one handheld device.

Thumb-sized: Most common -Thumb, Chorded, Numeric, and Chiclet

-Chorded
A chorded keyboard allows users to press several keys simultaneously. For example, the GKOS keyboard has been designed for small wireless devices. Other two-handed alternatives more akin to a game controller, such as the AlphaGrip, are also used to input data and text.

-Thumb
A thumb keyboard (thumbboard) is used in some personal digital assistants such as the Palm Treo and BlackBerry and some Ultra-Mobile PCs such as the OQO.

-Numeric keyboards
Numeric keyboards contain only numbers, mathematical symbols for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, a decimal point, and several function keys. They are often used to facilitate data entry with smaller keyboards that do not have a numeric keypad, commonly those of laptop computers. These keys are collectively known as a numeric pad, numeric keys, or a numeric keypad, and it can consist of the following types of keys: Arithmetic operators, numbers, Arrow keys, Navigation keys, Num Lock and Enter key.

-Chiclet
A chiclet keyboard, or island-style keyboard, is a type of computer keyboard that uses keys in the shape of small squares with rounded corners, in the style of Chiclets gum. Each key is surrounded by a perforated plate which holds it in position, so that there is a space between the keys.

Non-standard layout and special-use Keyboards

-Chorded
Chorded keyboards associate actions with combinations of key presses. Since there are many combinations available, chorded keyboards can effectively produce more actions on a board with fewer keys. Court reporters' stenotype machines use chorded keyboards to enable them to enter text much faster by typing a syllable with each stroke instead of one letter at a time. The fastest typists (as of 2007) use a stenograph, a kind of chorded keyboard used by most court reporters and closed-caption reporters. Some chorded keyboards are also made for use in situations where fewer keys are preferable, such as on devices that can be used with only one hand, and on small mobile devices that don't have room for larger keyboards. Chorded keyboards are less desirable in many cases because it usually takes practice and memorization of the combinations to become proficient.

-Software
Software keyboards or on-screen keyboards often take the form of computer programs that display an image of a keyboard on the screen. Another input device such as a mouse or a touchscreen can be used to operate each virtual key to enter text. Software keyboards have become very popular in touchscreen enabled cell phones, due to the additional cost and space requirements of other types of hardware keyboards. Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and some varieties of Linux include on screen keyboards that can be controlled with the mouse. In software keyboards, the mouse has to be maneuvered onto the on screen letters given by the software. On the click of a letter, the software writes the respective letter on the respective spot.

-Projection (as by laser)
Projection keyboards project an image of keys, usually with a laser, onto a flat surface. The device then uses a camera or infrared sensor to "watch" where the user's fingers move, and will count a key as being pressed when it "sees" the user's finger touch the projected image. Projection keyboards can simulate a full size keyboard from a very small projector. Because the "keys" are simply projected images, they cannot be felt when pressed. Users of projected keyboards often experience increased discomfort in their fingertips because of the lack of "give" when typing. A flat, non-reflective surface is also required for the keys to be projected. Most projection keyboards are made for use with PDAs and smartphones due to their small form factor.

-Optical keyboard technology
Also known as photo-optical keyboard, light responsive keyboard, photo-electric keyboard and optical key actuation detection technology. An optical keyboard technology utilizes light emitting devices and photo sensors to optically detect actuated keys. Most commonly the emitters and sensors are located in the perimeter, mounted on a small PCB. The light is directed from side to side of the keyboard interior and it can only be blocked by the actuated keys. Most optical keyboards require at least 2 beams (most commonly vertical beam and horizontal beam) to determine the actuated key. Some optical keyboards use a special key structure that blocks the light in a certain pattern, allowing only one beam per row of keys (most commonly horizontal beam).

No keyboard is bad, it's just all preference. Hope you used the guide well. Thank you.
[Bystander]
Browns have the same actuation force as reds 45cN.
They are not like softer blues.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1
I own browns, and I do feel like they are still a tough hit, because of the bump, but I could just fix that on post. Thanks for the input.
FlyingKebab
I bought blues for my first mechanical and they are VERY light.
Gumpy
Is the 50 million click thing on MX Reds per key or the entire keyboard?
- neuH -

Gumpyyy wrote:

Its per key :)
Gumpy

- neuH - wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

Its per key :)
That's good I almost got scared Since I get like 10-40k keys per day
DeletedUser_3905941
t/92602
t/206085
deskthority
geekhack

fuck is there any point anymore
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

FlyingKebab wrote:

I bought blues for my first mechanical and they are VERY light.

Generally the keys are 50-55 cN making then a bit heavier than your avereage red and on par to blacks.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

RedPanda wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/92602
t/206085
deskthority
geekhack

This is a guide for switches, and a bit deeper for those who are looking for a mechanical keyboard. Most people don't go in depth and just scratch the surface saying that Blues are loud and Reds are fast. That's true, but how are you gonna decide only on those facts? Doesn't seem like any has disavaatages, there has to be some. And this is what the guide is for. If anything a staff member would have locked or taken the post down, where one of the staff members moved my post from General Duscsion to Gameplay & Ranking. It's for help, not for you to say that there isn't a point to post. It's a forum, if it stays relative and is suitable for kids I can post what I would like to share with others to better help them.
DeletedUser_3905941

Gaz wrote:

RedPanda wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/92602
t/206085
deskthority
geekhack

This is a guide for switches, and a bit deeper for those who are looking for a mechanical keyboard. Most people don't go in depth and just scratch the surface saying that Blues are loud and Reds are fast. That's true, but how are you gonna decide only on those facts? Doesn't seem like any has disavaatages, there has to be some. And this is what the guide is for. If anything a staff member would have locked or taken the post down, where one of the staff members moved my post from General Duscsion to Gameplay & Ranking. It's for help, not for you to say that there isn't a point to post. It's a forum, if it stays relative and is suitable for kids I can post what I would like to share with others to better help them.
I'm definitely not saying that this thread is bad in any way, I'm just saying there's loads of other threads what say the same information but people can't be assed to use the search button.
I Give Up
I play rubberdome and just recently began to suffer finger and wrist pain from practising streams all of last week. This weekend I'm going to a tech store to try some of their mech keyboards, see what the whole dealio is about and if it really is easier on the wrist.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

KukiMonster wrote:

I play rubberdome and just recently began to suffer finger and wrist pain from practising streams all of last week. This weekend I'm going to a tech store to try some of their mech keyboards, see what the whole dealio is about and if it really is easier on the wrist.
Actually rubber domes doesn't make a huge difference stamina/pain wise, but overall if it's wrist pain then it could be the position from how your hands/arms are. The pain in your fingers could just be that you your tapping to hard or it can be the position of your hands also. I own some mechanical keyboards and they are great and all, but only get it if you have the spare money to do so. Mechanical keyboards don't make a huge overall difference, unless it's very fast paste use of key stroking where clogging and the key cap doesn't register as a hit.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

RedPanda wrote:

I'm definitely not saying that this thread is bad in any way, I'm just saying there's loads of other threads what say the same information but people can't be assed to use the search button.
On Osu forums, there isn't anything that is in depth, maybe on different websites there is, but I covered pretty much all MXs where most of them talk of the commons and I go in depth and give facts towards them. Not I'm giving my opinion saying I like reds, or blues only where a lot of people say that one is better over the other. I don't mind the input, but I wanted to give incite and more of as a Q&A for people who have questions about keyboards.
jesse1412
To say reds are the fastest to register a hit is wrong. Also OP how many switches have you tried extensively?
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

jesus1412 wrote:

To say reds are the fastest to register a hit is wrong. Also OP how many switches have you tried extensively?
Of the MX switches, currently they are the fastest per to say since they do have the least amount of force being at 40-45 cN and having the lowest actuation point of all the MXs, so you could say they are the fastest. I don't mind being wrong either, any input can help the guide. I have owned/used from a range of keyboards, chiclet, scissor, laser keyboards, ergonomic, brown MXs, blue MXs, red MXs, black MXs, Kailh switches, green MXs, clear MXs, grey MXs (generally on clear switch keyboards as space bars), dark grey MXs (generally on black switch keyboards as space bars), white MXs, but I would like to try other brands form of Cherry MX switches and Super black MX switches.
buny
Layout needs work, could also add some keyboard examples as well as prices and a review for them
Kinda like the tablet purchase guide
byfar
Blues are also the most cost effective for its feel.

Its really amazing for really cheap.
jasian
Mechanicalkeyboards subreddit is probably a better place to go if you want exclusive content on switches, boards, or anything to do with mechanical keyboards for that matter.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

litejason wrote:

Mechanicalkeyboards subreddit is probably a better place to go if you want exclusive content on switches, boards, or anything to do with mechanical keyboards for that matter.
This just isn't mechanical keyboards as I discussed more than just that, but I can't just rename the post. I would rename it Keyboards if I could.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

buny wrote:

Layout needs work, could also add some keyboard examples as well as prices and a review for them
Kinda like the tablet purchase guide
I gave examples of companies that sell keyboards, but most brands sell usually a variety of switches so I didn't really go into detail, but I could put the more commonly bought keyboard/recommended of that brand and give a little review. I could fix the layout and add drop boxes if needed.
buny
Edit the layout, make it easier to read.
Bold titles, italics or underline when suitable etc
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

buny wrote:

Edit the layout, make it easier to read.
Bold titles, italics or underline when suitable etc
Updated, also I'll add some reviews to keyboards later and prices, etc.
cheezstik
You should also add how it relates to gameplay & rankings, for example, blacks could help with streaming as they reset the fastest, and reds could help with accuracy as they are the easiest to press down (just an example, not necessarily true).
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

cheezstik wrote:

You should also add how it relates to gameplay & rankings, for example, blacks could help with streaming as they reset the fastest, and reds could help with accuracy as they are the easiest to press down (just an example, not necessarily true). Otherw
Yeah I'll add that as well, but I didn't move it to gameplay. I was originally in general discussion, but one of the staff members placed it here.
cheezstik

Gaz wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

You should also add how it relates to gameplay & rankings, for example, blacks could help with streaming as they reset the fastest, and reds could help with accuracy as they are the easiest to press down (just an example, not necessarily true). Otherw
Yeah I'll add that as well, but I didn't move it to gameplay. I was originally in general discussion, but one of the staff members placed it here.
Oh no, it belongs here all right, just currently leaves the reader to assume without any guidance as to which keys suit what. While switch choice should be personal preferences, a little bit of guidance in the form of some examples related to gameplay would be helpful.
Rewben2

byfar wrote:

Blues are also the most cost effective for its feel.

Its really amazing for really cheap.
Aren't all cherry mx switches more or less the same price?
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1
You could say that, but on the other hand that isn't 100% true. Some of the less common switches, such as clear switches go around $130 minimum up to $170 generally. Where a average blue MX keyboard is at a $75-100 price range. Also esportZ, a gaming brand recently started to sell mechanical keyboards at a very cheap price for around $45-50 and used Kailh switches. Kailh switches being the imitation of the brand Cherry, which you know as your Cherry MXs. Anyhow, point is that depending on the brand it will bring up the price, because even a "label" they place on a item will signifactly bring up the price. A good example of this is Razer; they sell items that are a bit pricy because it's Razer and it has the logo. Not saying that Razer is bad in anyway, but being a popular brand means that they bump the price a bit.
Topic Starter
Gaz_old_1

cheezstik wrote:

Oh no, it belongs here all right, just currently leaves the reader to assume without any guidance as to which keys suit what. While switch choice should be personal preferences, a little bit of guidance in the form of some examples related to gameplay would be helpful.
I understand right, we're on terms correct. The thing is it's really hard to say one keyboard has advantage of another since we have prime examples of different users of MX Keryboards. Niko used Blue MXs and he was considered the fastest osu player, and WWW currently uses blue MXs as well. In the past we saw Cookiezi use Red MXs and popularized the idea of use of reds, because people asummed that it was better for streaming, etc. Which really isn't the case, but people just went along with it. HappyStick uses Brown MXs where most people know that Browns can easily get clogged/clot and overall be a disaster at times, but he still plays well with them. Jesse has used a variety of MXs for osu and he plays fine on all of them. I could give some ideas for what it could do to improve, but overall it's a touchy subject even though I have experience with a lot of common and uncommon MXs. People chose one over the other for their own reason and really I don't have a preference myself. I could try my best, but it's gonna be tough.
Noobsicle
reds have the same actuation point as browns and blacks
that posiden brand thing you're talking about = the name of the kailh switch keyboard. tt esportZ is the actual company that makes these boards
show more