How big should my tablet area be

posted
Total Posts
show more
velia
-
Topic Starter
byfar
i think the absolute worst shit about full area is that you gotta move ur hand around
Topic Starter
byfar
Nd my grip on the pen is terrible, it always gradually moves to the bottom and i have to reposition wtf
Synpoo
how long have you had your tablet
Topic Starter
byfar
About 10 minutes
Synpoo
LOL then play more nigga

it took me like 3 days to get comfortable with tablet
Topic Starter
byfar
but the thing is when i play it it makes me wanna throw it out the window. Like im just that awful at it that i feel like i will never improve,
Topic Starter
byfar
fuck it. time to 840double blaze tryhard this shit #####
Blanky
It's ALL preference. I've seen people use an active area the size of a pinky nail, and some use full area. Some people hold the bottom of the pen right above the nib, some hold where the bottom button is, some hold where the second button is, and I've seen someone hold the pen way at the top, albeit him grinding the pen against the tablet... Poor tablet. What I'm trying to say is, the tablet is so flexible, there is no way that isn't viable(as long as you're using your hands). Experiment and practice. Have fun & good luck.
Bara-
I'm using Full area on a 1440x900 (Or how that resolution is) and it works fine for me
Note, you'll get used to it an a few hours of intense playing of easies/normal
After that try playing some hards, and then after a few days you can start with insanes
Don't push yourself!
Synpoo
i think you mean

"push yourself"
[Bystander]

;_;7
chainpullz

buny wrote:

byfar wrote:

Also how should i hold my pen, like down on the bottom or in the middle
i like to firmly grip the shaft and alternate between bottom and top
Must be hard playing osu! one-handed.
B1rd

byfar wrote:

but the thing is when i play it it makes me wanna throw it out the window. Like im just that awful at it that i feel like i will never improve,
you've had it for 10 whole minutes and you still can't use it? give up.
otoed1
Personally I use 5in.x3in. It depends on whatever you feel like. For starters, Practice, preferably with a number you think is a bit high. You want motions to be accurate, not fast.
FlyingKebab
Is it just me or are there more people 1-10K that use tablets than mice?
B1rd
because tablets are better.
winber1
why would anyone want a mouse, they are just rodents that are bound to multiply and infest your room.
My Angel Gordon
Toy with the settings until you know you're as comfortable as you can possibly at that moment. From then on you can make very slight, incremental changes to your tablet area if needed, and find a grip that's both consistent, comfortable, and stable. Once you're accustomed to it, NO DRASTIC CHANGES. Just don't make your tablet area too tiny. IMO it's better to have an area that's slightly too big than an area that's very small and causes bad cursor stability.
Mythras
i used a smaller area till someone suggested it was easier to aim with a larger area... and he was right, obviously.

IMO, just raise it more and more till you feel like you're good to go. For me it was the entire osu window 1440xwhatever (not full tablet area)
Dexus
I'm sitting at 84% of a 8" x 5" active area, playing windowed 1440x900 with raw input on a 1080p 22" monitor.

A nice simple way to measure is by placing the tip of your pen in the top left corner, holding it there and then bringing your hand to rest on the tablet as close to the bottom right as you can get it. then lift the tip of the pen and bring it as close to the inside of your hand. This is a good way to measure out an area, just make sure it not strain yourself when doing this. Also account for the fact that the playfield is 4:3 and if your game window is running at 16:9 or 16:10 it should be compensated. Mapping the screen area to the game window, using raw input, or playing fullscreen are good ways to take full advantage of your tablet's whole active area for measurements.

Now how to get adjusted to this quickly? You honestly can't; To put it blunt simply to play more. Some people also play a lot right before they sleep and then the next day they're adjusted to their new area. I personally like to just stop playing the game to simply forget about it and then pick it right back up with fresh new settings to see if I improve or not. I start of playing slowly with basic maps and play harder stuff more often as time goes on. It has helped me pinpoint my weaknesses in this game and focus my time and effort to overcoming them. Of course though this takes a lot of time. My consistency when playing, I feel, is incredibly high compared to the average player when playing. I just have issues with being able to play outstandingly like some people do.
Topic Starter
byfar
ok so after 2 days, it finally feels natural after TOYING with the fuckin settings for a LONG time

only problem is it has white stuff already on it does it mean its wearing out?

im using like 3/5 area now.
B1rd

byfar wrote:

ok so after 2 days, it finally feels natural after TOYING with the fuckin settings for a LONG time

only problem is it has white stuff already on it does it mean its wearing out?

im using like 3/5 area now.
use tissues.
tfg50
I use the largest my tablet can handle with force proportions because I had a tablet that I couldn't change the area (or didn't know how to change) and I'm too lazy to try smaller areas.

My hand also shakes like hell when I'm making a good score so a larger area makes that not matter that much. This kind of shaking, if you want to check the replay ofc, https://osu.ppy.sh/b/242948?m=0 . I really recomend cheking that replay out because when I see it now I find it hilarious how nervous I can get. I was nervous right from the beggining because I had done a few godacc runs before too but my aim didn't let me fc and right at the end I was so lucky I didn't miss.

Maybe if you practice with a smaller area you can control your pen better but I don't feel like changing area would benefit my right now.
syuru
i use a really small tablet area and i agree that larger is probably better because if you get nervous or your grip slips a little it's not as detrimental to your aim. i tried full size and couldn't do it but that's because i've been using the same area for a while now ~_~

general things about smaller area:
- makes large movements for jumps easier (sometimes) but if you lose track of the cursor it's easy to under/overshoot the jump
- you might get some random slider breaks/misses while doing spaced singles if you aren't comfortable with the speed of your cursor
- rotating squares are the enemy
- don't expect to be playing hards/insanes right away though, just give it some time and don't change the size so often
- if you really want a tiny area learn to relax and not tense your grip/get nervous at the end of maps

lastly grip the pen so that you can easily cover all corners of the screen but make sure it's comfortable, there's not really a special or best grip

this big
Synpoo
i use like a 1x2 inch tablet area lols