forum

Do you move your arm whilst using your mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Saphirshroom
Do you?
I found I have troubles getting to the edges of the screen consistently since I don't drag my arm over the desk so I don't get the friction that comes from it. The problem is that I have a limited motion range due to that?

Would you recommend just lifting my arm (although that's probably a pretty tiring grip style, so I can't really see that being of any help) or adjusting the sensitivity when playing so I can reach the screen ends?

I'm generally very unsure about my grip style since I essentially just move the mouse using my wrist and my arm but since I don't wanna drag the arm across the table due to consistency issues I move it only as far as my skin allows. Kinda wonder if that's even a viable gripstyle because if it isn't - and I feel it isn't - I don't wanna be the first one trying it out and then get obliterated on super hard jump maps because my consistency is too low.
Vuelo Eluko
first of all you gain skill and consistency by practicing your particular grip, not by having a specific one.

secondly when you say you cant do it CONSISTENTLY that means you need to practice more, if you can't do it at all is when you should increase your sense/lower your resolution.
uberpancake

You mean like that? It's totally viable and a ton of good players do it. Of course there are quite a lot who don't too. Find something that's comfortable for you and work with it I guess.
Topic Starter
Saphirshroom
It's pretty clear to me that I need practice; I'm just afraid that I'm gonna hit a brick wall with the grip I'm using :\
@pancake: Yeah, pretty much. Thank you for that video!
B1rd
I never used my arm and only used my wrist and fingers, and I was pretty shit with mouse. Try and use arm movement, it's what I've seen most of the top mouse players do. If you still have trouble using you arm, switch to tablet. What I did.
DeletedUser_3905941
I actually use my whole arm to move my mouse instead of using any fingers.
I put my arm on the edge of the table and grab my mouse, leaving a tiny bit of room between my arm and my mousemat. It's a much better option for me as I am a low dpi player and when I used a fingertip grip, I couldn't reach places of the screen.
silmarilen
my wrist never leaves it's position
RaneFire

Saphirshroom wrote:

I'm generally very unsure about my grip style since I essentially just move the mouse using my wrist and my arm but since I don't wanna drag the arm across the table due to consistency issues I move it only as far as my skin allows. Kinda wonder if that's even a viable gripstyle because if it isn't - and I feel it isn't - I don't wanna be the first one trying it out and then get obliterated on super hard jump maps because my consistency is too low.
A good chunk of learning this game is mental. Do whatever comes most naturally to you and tweak it as you improve. You can't anticipate whether your grip will work better in the future if you can't yet play at that level. You could easily be doing it incorrectly and not know, because you are forcing yourself to play with a problem, instead of fixing problems as they come, which is how it should be.

Tweak your grip/sensitivity only as necessary. You'll find the right setting a lot sooner, so you won't have to change anymore, as opposed to taking pot-shots at different settings and grips hoping to find some golden sensitivity/grip through some biased (as long as its not what I was using!) lucky trial and error. Eventually you've tried everything and nothing works, because it wasn't the problem.