forum

Question about 60fps (vsync) and 120 fps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cyfra_old
Hi there.

Why i feel my cursor is slower on 60fps, when 120 fps is comfortable for me? Its any differrence between them or its just my paranoia?
Vuelo Eluko
I use 120 too. 60 feels awkward. unlimited frames feels surreal i hate it.

I believe you're experiencing a bit of input lag and/or skipping because the report rate of your mouse/tablet is higher than the 60 frames per second can keep up with.
Dexus
Use 180 to 500 fps.
RaneFire

Freszol wrote:

Why i feel my cursor is slower on 60fps, when 120 fps is comfortable for me? Its any differrence between them or its just my paranoia?
There is a difference. The time between "frame draws" is larger at 60 fps (16.7ms between frames). At 120fps it's down to 8.3ms. At 500 fps it would be 2ms. Graphics cards pre-render up to 3 frames ahead by default, so for each of those fps values you are looking at 50ms vs 25ms vs 6ms of visual delay respectively.

If you can set your pre-rendered frames to 1, that would help a lot. I'm not quite sure how it works on AMD cards though since I don't notice any difference regardless of what I set via 3rd party software, but Nvidia's drivers should have an option, although I'm not sure about that either since I don't have one.

Don't use vsync. It introduces a delay waiting for synchronisation with the vertical refresh rate of your monitor. It also isn't necessary.
nrl
Nvidia's drivers do have that option.
Gumpy
The higher the framerate you have the less input lag you will have.
Loves
Pretty sure most people who uncap their FPS have above 500 fps unless you're running without a graphics card.

It's smoother when you uncap it but if you really want the full effects, get a 120hz monitor.
nrl
Don't uncap, that puts unnecessary strain on your card. Just set the custom limiter to some outrageously high number.

Loves wrote:

It's smoother when you uncap it but if you really want the full effects, get a 120hz monitor.
How noticeable is the extra 60hz? Worth the upgrade?
meteor22
1000 fps is the minimum imo
iderekmc

Riince wrote:

I believe you're experiencing a bit of input lag and/or skipping because the report rate of your mouse/tablet is higher than the 60 frames per second can keep up with.
u do know that with 120 fps there is MUCH more input latency/lag than with 400 for example RIGHT?
Vuelo Eluko

iderekmc wrote:

Riince wrote:

u do know that with 120 fps there is MUCH more input latency/lag than with 400 for example RIGHT?
i cant set frames to 400
Dexus
480 to 1000+ is a difference of 1ms which you cant notice. If you do then youre having issues with dpc/poor drivers
B1rd

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Don't uncap, that puts unnecessary strain on your card. Just set the custom limiter to some outrageously high number.

Loves wrote:

How noticeable is the extra 60hz? Worth the upgrade?
it is definitely noticeable and worth it. it probably doesn't make you play better, but 144hz makes everything from approach circles to scrolling through songs look super smooth and amazing. 60hz is a slideshow in comparison.
RaneFire

B1rd wrote:

it is definitely noticeable and worth it. it probably doesn't make you play better, but 144hz makes everything from approach circles to scrolling through songs look super smooth and amazing. 60hz is a slideshow in comparison.
IMO it's not that important for osu! standard. But that's my opinion (I have a 144hz). I had a 75hz CCFL LCD before this and I don't really feel the change was superior for osu!.

You won't be using lightboost @120hz either, the feature most people rave about high refresh-rate monitors for. You'll want the full backlight frequency, because the nature of this game is too fast and you'll just give yourself eye-strain trying to focus on notes between refresh cycles.

The Asus VS248QE backlight frequency of PWM at 864hz is already noticeable as I look away from the screen and see a blackness like Venetian window blinds across my field of vision. This probably has something to do with it's low pixel response technology and brightness affecting the light-persistence of my eye, causing a "burn in". It happens even while reading, and in games at low and high brightness levels alike. The 60hz/75hz monitors at lower PWM's don't do this to me, and are more comfortable on the eyes for reading static images and such. For the most part osu! is static (aside for approach circles which no one uses anyway), so the benefits are not that awesome. Playing something like taiko however... the difference is AMAZING. FPS games are also amazing now.

PWM-free is obviously better if you can grab it. So BenQ would be best. Unfortunately BenQ isn't really affordable here (50% more expensive).