forum

osu!arcade at Wai-con 2010

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
With Perth being a relatively small city (most of you have probably not even heard of it, but it is in the western part of the country :P), it is quite overwhelming to attend the yearly run Wai-con event, which gathered together over 3,400 people this year. Held at the recently constructed Perth Convention Centre, attendees can enjoy a weekend of anime screenings, cosplay competitions and photo-shoots, panels and workshops, video/card game tournaments and this year a very special performance by the Eminence orchestral unit.

I have been volunteering at the convention for the last two years and decided last year that I would really like to see osu! have a presence, both to make the game better known locally and to get some sort of real-life social interactions based around the game. So this year I set out to make this possible, completing the first prototype of osu!arcade - a fully self-contained arcade cabinet version of osu!. With custom-made hardware and an arcade-specific branch of the osu! codebase, the system was looking very ready for its debut last weekend (after some very rushed last minute preparations :P).

Arriving on the night before the convention started, many of the other people helping with setup were already enjoying the machine. It was decided we definitely needed some kind of hygiene control on the touchscreen, and this was a good call after seeing exactly how black a single wipe would leave a cloth! I also got some quick feedback on the interface (mainly song select) and generally what was confusing to the end-user when first trying to play the game, which allowed me to dash home and make some overnight changes before the event.

While I had other duties throughout the convention, I was able to hang around the machine for a good amount of time and get some feedback by talking and watching how beginners and Ouendan/EliteBeatAgents veterans play the game. Throughout both days, there was a constant stream of people playing osu!, and I can't remember a single moment when the machine was NOT being played! It was quite a happy sight indeed. At most times it was hard to even see the screen because of the amount of people gathered around.

As the hardware unit used was a relatively rushed effort, I do plan on making a second prototype in the near future which may appear at more conventions locally (please contact me if you have any interest in seeing osu! at a convention you are involved with!) and hopefully allow for some multiplayer action, too. There were a lot of people with sore fingers from sliding and spinning (including myself) and this will definitely be addressed one way or another.

A big thank you to those that allowed this to happen on such short notice:
My Dad (construction of the cabinet)
Cuzza (running the Wai-con video games room and tournaments)
Wai-con Committee/sub-committee/volunteers (making the event happen, and run scarily smoothly)
Those who helped with song recommendations on Friday night - collected a great collection of around 120 sets in total.
Everyone who played osu! at the convention (or watched :))
And of course, the online osu! community - because there's no way osu! would have come this far without all of you.

If there is enough demand, I will setup a live stream with requests for beatmaps with a top 50 player playing on osu!arcade in the near future!

Jeffro
This is awesome news. I certainly had the idea of getting osu! to conventions in holland though. Just need to get involved with them someday but seeing as people easily got a DJMax machine in. This should be doable to. Ideally would to set up more machines with 3/4 of them osu! and 1/4 Taiko (I dunno if I could stop playing)

But congratulations.

btw what did you have to change for the song selection screen (arcade specific) ?
Topic Starter
peppy
The changes will likely be visible in osu!, but not totally decided yet. I'm reluctant to go into too much detail for the moment so it's best you wait and be surprised :).
Card N'FoRcE
Whoa, awesome. O.O

Osu having his own cabinet and arcade setup is really interesting :)

I wish i could have tried that ç_ç

Anyway, grats peppy. This sure is a great thing for making osu!! even better ;)
Andrea
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Jeffro

osuplayer111 wrote:

Congratulations, peppy.

This looks awesome!

/me wanna try.
I actually tried this once on a huge whiteboard on school. It didn't go smooth :')
NoHitter
:)

I hope that it will be available soon.
Although I'm not used to touch screens...
Gabi
i was wondering, did any real osu! player turn up ^^?

anyways very admirable work, congratz on your success peppy, it is all looking amazing.

also it seems like with this being over, you have taken a big load out of your chest. dunno maybe it's just me seeing it xD
Zekira

NoHItter wrote:

:)

I hope that it will be available soon.
Although I'm not used to touch screens...
If osu!arcade gets famous I'll wait for it at Timezone G4 :P At least by that time I can play another game that's in the open crowd! o_o

Also, I'm curious about the songlist of the arcade atm. If possible, a list could be made so that we know which songs are there?
Topic Starter
peppy
We did get 5 or 6 people who are osu! players, and many more who have seen videos of osu! on youtube (or don't stop me now :p).

@Gabi: not really - this was very impulsive and only took a couple of days preparation! But it sure was a blast, as always!

@Zekira: assuming there is support for a live feed I will be loading requested songs on as required, so a listing won't be needed.
ThePassingShadow
Pretty exciting...
Spudman
That's quite the device, that's something I would gladly try out if given the chance.
Doomsday
Yeah. It would be a blast to try that.
Rokodo
Great stuff, could Taiko and CTB be played too using the same touch panel input? i.e. Virtual keyboard in-game.
Nachy
Would fly there just to get to play it if I have the chance :P
Topic Starter
peppy

Rokodo [RL] wrote:

Great stuff, could Taiko and CTB be played too using the same touch panel input? i.e. Virtual keyboard in-game.
These will need some further modifications, but I see no reason why not. That said, I will be focusing on the osu! gameplay mode for the short-term future.
Remco32
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Skyripper
@remco32: It might also be rougher on the touch screen itself.

@peppy: I said it already, but this is brilliant. Your dad should be proud, the cabinet design is sleek and perfectly suited for a osu!.

The only thing I would add would be integrated sound and maybe lights on the case to go with kiai time + combo bursts? This really isn't important, but it would definitely attract people's attention.
Shinde
Those osu! cabinet things are pretty sexy.
fzeromaster
Wow, that arcadesystem does look really nice. No doubt about it that people are willing to look at it.

The only issues i can think of is that once osu! is better known, people will choose more for the pc version instead of the arcade version of the game. Kinda like happened with the arcades in the past.

But those are things for the future. If it ever would come to Belgium, i'd certainly like to give it a try ;P
show more