forum

I alternate everything, should I learn to single tap?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ronbo
From what I've seen on forums, most people actually use single tap for the majority of the time, and only switch to alternating on fast streams.

For some reason I've always alternated everything since I started osu!. Should I try to learn to tap with just one finger or is alternating everything fine?
Vuelo Eluko
People recommend singletapping because it allows you to play maps in a rhythmically sensible manner. for example, 1/4 streams are essentially equivalent to singletapping at 1/2 with both fingers at once. It allows you to make quick and accurate transitions between different types of notes 1/2, 1/4, 1/3, 1/6, whatever, with twice as much ease and accuracy as alternating, therefore complicated maps with a lot of transitions are MUCH easier for a singletapper than a full alternator.

You also have an easier time holding rhythm. I used to full alternate and I'd often find myself losing the rhythm and completely failing fast, hard consecutive jumps. Obviously this is a matter of practice but it will take much more practice to learn to alternate effectively like this.

your playcount is quite low you won't be losing much much to learn to singletap and you have a lot to gain, especially for playing maps with complicated beats.

Developing singletapping speed and stamina takes quite a lot more time than alternating, however, so keep your alternating close to heart when you're dealing with higher bpm 1/2. For example, by the time you're able to read Scarlet Rose [hardest map] properly, it's quite unlikely that you'll be able to singletap at such a pace.

Hope my information was relevant and useful.

waits for his hoardes of haters to point out everything he said was wrong when it wasn't
Woobowiz
If you know how to alternate, don't bother single tapping. Keep doing what you're doing.

With alternating, BPM is just a matter of "how fast can I stream".

For single tappers, it becomes that AND "how fast can I single tap".

Saying accurate with alternating is a matter of finger control and rhythm, which we all need to learn eventually. To be blunt, you're way better off to just keep alternating and not worry about single tapping, it might make the game a bit harder at first, but you'll be better off than a lot of other players.
Topic Starter
Ronbo

Riince wrote:

by the time you're able to read Scarlet Rose [hardest map] properly
omg reading that is actually possible? o_o I feel so noob ;(

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll practice single tapping on easier maps with DT just to be able to move my fingers faster and stick with alternating for harder maps. Open to any other opinions on the matter :)

Edit:
Oh also, on a side note, recently I've started playing everything with HD on. That's fine, right?
Vuelo Eluko

Ronbo wrote:

Oh also, on a side note, recently I've started playing everything with HD on. That's fine, right?
Of course, assuming "everything" being every map, not that you're only using hidden. be careful that you don't play it so much that you forget how to read nomod. It can happen especially early on.
Kaeru
Before you know it, Scarlet Rose will be a joke. It is quite difficult to single tap, though. I have always alternated everything and I don't see any reason not to. People will claim that single tapping is more accurate, but that's not entirely true because you can learn how to be accurate with alternating, too. In my opinion, full alternating is a much better habit and will improve your streaming ability. You can still practice single tapping (I do sometimes, it helps when trying to have more control during slow parts of songs) but I don't see any reason to switch play styles.

Riince wrote:

Scarlet Rose [hardest map]
Wait, what..? Scarlet Rose is an easy map. Not even close to being one of the hardest.
nrl
It's kind of a crapshoot. I'm a big advocate of alternation, but I wouldn't recommend it to new players simply because of how much more difficult it makes discerning complex patterns, and single tapping lends itself much more readily to the style of most contemporary maps. They're both tools, and I would tell you to learn both.
Kookiezi_old_1
You can play higher BPM maps when alternating, play OD10, learn reading, aiming and be a god.
Toadsworth

Kaeru wrote:

Wait, what..? Scarlet Rose is an easy map. Not even close to being one of the hardest.
I know right, it's so easy even some top 50 players can't even FC. Truly easy.
D e s

Kaeru wrote:

Scarlet rose is indeed hardest map. Your arguement is invalid :v
nrl

DatPenguinTho wrote:

Doesn't mean anything. It's a very particular style of map, one that most players aren't good at. But it isn't nearly the most difficult map in that style, and it's definitely not one of the most difficult maps out there.
Pettanko

Kaeru wrote:

Riince wrote:

Scarlet Rose [hardest map]
if scarlet rose is an easy map then why does it say [0108 style] in the difficulty name?

check and mate, atheists
buny
scarlet rose is hardest map" - cookezi 2k14

but seriously, it is worthwhile to just try both methods - they both suit better at different aspects
Kaeru

DatPenguinTho wrote:

Kaeru wrote:

Going by star difficulty, not the style in which the song is mapped. Just because it's difficult to FC doesn't make it a difficult map. I realize now that it's a joke, though.
Vuelo Eluko
kaeru you embarrass yourself for not knowing the scarlet rose ruse
Mythras
If you can actually full alternate high BPM and slow BPM with complicated maps your skill cap would be nuts like Silvia and black sheep. Single tapping is lame comparatively speaking. Be a cool kid.
Wishy
I used to play by alternating then switched to single tap, my aim improved a lot, and my streaming stamina/speed decreased a little bit.

Your level is still not high enough for this kind of things to actually matter, just play any way you want.
B1rd
do you really need to "learn" to single tap?
Mathsma

B1rd wrote:

do you really need to "learn" to single tap?
I can alternate and single tap with my middle finger but I can't with my index because introducing my middle is a bit too awkward for me. So yeah, I would have practice in order to learn how to single tap with my index.