forum

another editor request: bookmarks [Added in b96] [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Gilrad
First off, a jump-to bookmark would be helpful. That way whenever I accidentally start the song over again, I don't have to go searching for where I was. I could just jump a few bookmarks.

Second, it would be helpful if there was some sort of visual indicator for whenever you change bpm/offset, preferably with a shortcut into the manual bpm editing window, and possibly with a "start at current position" button as well, in case you have been moving the offset around.

Oh, and it would be nice if you could change the slider speed with beat changes too.
peppy

Gilrad wrote:

First off, a jump-to bookmark would be helpful. That way whenever I accidentally start the song over again, I don't have to go searching for where I was. I could just jump a few bookmarks.
I'll have a look into this.. but not too sure how to organise these on-screen. If you have a particular idea of how you would like to be able to skip between/add/remove then please expand on this :).

Gilrad wrote:

Second, it would be helpful if there was some sort of visual indicator for whenever you change bpm/offset, preferably with a shortcut into the manual bpm editing window, and possibly with a "start at current position" button as well, in case you have been moving the offset around.
I'm not following on this one.. Do you mean an indicator in the compose timeline similar to what you see in the timing screen's timeline?

Gilrad wrote:

Oh, and it would be nice if you could change the slider speed with beat changes too.
Slider speed is dependant on the current BPM. It will adjust automatically. The user-variable velocity setting is global to the song and will not be available for individual timing points for consistency reasons!
Topic Starter
Gilrad
What I had in mind was, when in the composer, whenever you came across a change, a little icon would appear underneath the time view. Clicking on it could bring up the timing options for that section.

Now that I see you get more information in the timing view, it's probably not as important, but more information is always good to have on your main view, so that you don't do something stupid that results in you having to re-do all your beat timing :(
peppy
I'll try adding a red line at changes or something - that should be a nice indication.

I'm very interested in bookmarks/smarter seeking so tell me if you get any ideas for how it should look/be interacted with :)
Extor

peppy wrote:

I'm very interested in bookmarks/smarter seeking so tell me if you get any ideas for how it should look/be interacted with :)
It probably can be seen in the lower part of the screen, where the seeking bar is. There can be a "+" sign or something like that, and it places a bookmark where you are now, and a "-" sign (grayed when you aren't over a bookmark) to remove the current bookmark. Left clicking on a bookmark (showed like a little arrow in the seeking bar) obviously, takes you there. (Or it can be with right click, to not screw up with the slider of the seekbar)

That's how I think it can be. =D
Topic Starter
Gilrad
Let's not forget shortcut keys and naming of bookmarks.
e.g. ctrl+right goes forward until you hit a bookmark, ctrl+left goes backward.
Topic Starter
Gilrad
double post!

An idea occurred to me about bookmarks and beat changes...

For bookmarks, how about adding in an unscored play mod that lets you skip through a song by bookmark? That way, if you want to playtest your song, or even if you want to practice a tough spot on somebody else's, you can.

For beat changes, how about whenever you use the 'create new beat section' option, the offset is automatically set to whatever you're currently paused at? That would help loads.