forum

Thought: What makes a Skin appealing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Garygoh884
I ever wondered what makes a skin appealing to some osu! players. There are skins which anime fans like to spice up their gameplay, and skins which professional players use for minimization of visuals for gameplay. There are also oddly-designed skins which naturally induces humor to the player, making it literally, "the best skin ever".

There are topics of appealing skins which makes me want to visit while viewing this forum, such as Vocaloid skins. Or anime skins. Or even novelty skins. I couldn't resist visiting these topics. I was puzzled on how skins are attractive and appealing to most (or some) players around the user database.

If you have any thoughts of what makes a skin appealing, feel free to post your responses here. The purpose of this topic is to get the idea of how modal skins gets its popularity, and to creating attractive skins using this idea.
[ Pingu ]
To me an appealing skin is one that is cute but clean/minimalistic. It just needs to have something like a unique cute comboburst.wav sound with no combobursts otherwise I get distracted. I prefer using circular cursors because it seems more cleaner but I seem to do better with the old fashioned ones from like 5 years ago.
OsuMe65
A consistent theme.
Quichey

OsuMe65 wrote:

A consistent theme.
Agreed. Something everyone can definitely work on.
Granger
Well, firstly there is the OP.
A well structured OP is the thing which gets you downloads in the first place.

Then as the skin themselfes go, its mostly a matter of preference but things like focus on playability and a consistent theme are what make people use and keep using the skin. Nobody likes skins that go "put stuff everywhere". Well some do, but they wont keep on using them as the skin isnt really playable.
Ayesha Altugle
  1. No Distractions
  2. No Anime Stuffs
  3. No Cute Anime Voices
  4. No NSFW Stuffs
  5. Readable
chaee

vahn10 wrote:

1. No Distractions
  2. No Anime Stuffs
  3. No Cute Anime Voices
  4. No NSFW Stuffs
  5. Readable
Piine

vahn10 wrote:

1. No Distractions
  2. No Anime Stuffs
  3. No Cute Anime Voices
  4. No NSFW Stuffs
  5. Readable
I can agree with the first and last, but really the other three in the middle I don't see an issue with due to mostly a opinion depending on the player if he likes that sort of stuff.
DeletedUser_4041880
Taste is the key here which is why most people mix skins to fit their own style. You can't really please everyone with a single skin that included everything everyone likes. It's just best to make a skin for yourself and include all the things you would like and then share it- as long as it's not a mixed skin that is.

OT: I usually like skins that have zero distractions and hit circles that are transparent/dark in the center. Simplicity is a huge plus.
Elzapatoverde
The unified style is really important, for me that's what makes the difference between a good and a bad skin. Off course simple skins without distractors are preferable.

Frostei wrote:

Taste is the key here
I even play with a different skin depending on the map (the default one is pretty good for jumpy maps).