forum

BeatmaniaIIDX/BMS

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
Aside from this game, anyone play IIDX via. PSun or CS? Or perhaps BMS?
:?
Pettchanashi
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
Omnimix is pretty fun, however most of the time I usually find myself playing within the Level 12 folder aside from playing the revival/removed songs. What kind of errors are you even running into?

The only thing about BMS is that the timing/judgement feels quite strange/inconsistent and it's somewhat difficult for me to transition between both games so I usually play Custom Tricoro with the BMS charts loaded.
ggsnipess
I should play more BMS/Tricoro, dont have a controller otherwise I would be leveling up on that atm. I could only do like level 4s on kb anyway (I'm irrelevant now Q.Q)
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
It's honestly worth taking some time to play; I mean the JKOC and the Dao controllers are expensive, but well worth it in the end since you could probably use it for OSUmania or whatever it's called here lol.

I did play a lot of OSU! on my second account but I eventually made the switch to IIDX/BMS like two~three years ago.
Pettchanashi
I'm actually planning on buying a dao because I don't enjoy playing on keyboard that much. I'm wondering how tough the skill transfer will be though.
nanda2009
Started playing iidx from a long time, mostly on BMS player like LR2. I can finish 10s on KB and 8s on AC.

Too bad the shipping is too expensive if I want to get a DAO.
Lach

Kucyk wrote:

I'm actually planning on buying a dao because I don't enjoy playing on keyboard that much. I'm wondering how tough the skill transfer will be though.
It's like learning how to play all over again.

I've been playing for like 3 months now (never played o!m really, or any other game like it) and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Pretty much started out with an asc, and as much as it hurt to fork out the money, it's worth it if you're actually planning on playing.

Never really got into playing bms stuff mainly because lr2 is shit and crashes every 30 seconds, and it also looks like poop in comparison to hdd :roll:
Pettchanashi

nanda2009 wrote:

Too bad the shipping is too expensive if I want to get a DAO.
Yeah, it's also really expensive for me. It costs more than the FPS lol.

Lach wrote:

It's like learning how to play all over again.
Sounds pretty sad but I'm ready to sacrifice all of my previous skill just to be able to play the game the way it's meant to be played.
Lach

Kucyk wrote:

Sounds pretty sad but I'm ready to sacrifice all of my previous skill just to be able to play the game the way it's meant to be played.
That's the spirit. Don't cheap out either, at least get omrons.
Pettchanashi

Lach wrote:

Don't cheap out either, at least get omrons.
Yeah, I'm going to buy 50g omrons. I guess they are pretty good.
ggsnipess

LikaKrazy wrote:

It's honestly worth taking some time to play; I mean the JKOC and the Dao controllers are expensive, but well worth it in the end since you could probably use it for OSUmania or whatever it's called here lol.

I did play a lot of OSU! on my second account but I eventually made the switch to IIDX/BMS like two~three years ago.
If I stop spending money on figs and j-core, I probably would have enough money for an FPS + Sanwa + Omorons by now lol

Before I forget, this thread does say BMS :D
http://www.bmsoffighters.net/gbyr2004/
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

peroperoplayer wrote:

LikaKrazy wrote:

If I stop spending money on figs and j-core, I probably would have enough money for an FPS + Sanwa + Omorons by now lol

Before I forget, this thread does say BMS :D
http://www.bmsoffighters.net/gbyr2004/
I don't think it's really necessary to get Sanwas for your ~*future*~ FPS; I have two FP7s, one with Sanwas and another with Dao buttons and they're practically the same thing however the Sanwas have a crisp/nice sound while the Dao buttons are a bit loud. They get the job done though haha.

My controllers: This is my setup:
Lach
I've seen those controllers before. Did you print on a3 sheets or two a4 and put them together for your underlays?
Pettchanashi
Does player side on a controller depend on my dominant hand? I don't really know which one I should pick.
ggsnipess
not really from what I remember, its really preference, I want to get a P2 side one cause I prefer scratching with right hand over my left.
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

Kucyk wrote:

Does player side on a controller depend on my dominant hand? I don't really know which one I should pick.
If you're a lefty, you're supposed to play on the 2P side and the game throws patterns towards your weak hand (in this case your right).
If you're a righty, you're supposed to play on the 1P side and the game throws patterns towards your weak hand (in this case your left).

It doesn't really matter to be quite honest with you; I feel as though it's just a matter of preference and learning to adapt to a specific player side. I play on the 2P side and my right hand is my dominant hand; given that I'm on the 2P side and my "weak hand" is actually my dominant hand (right), I take advantage of those patterns that are given to me. Oh and I prefer scratching with my right hand.

Lach wrote:

I've seen those controllers before. Did you print on a3 sheets or two a4 and put them together for your underlays?
Uuuh if I can remember correctly, I used HP Everyday Photo Paper (A4), found a Dao C33 template, re-sized it on Paint.net (the program), placed my favorite images, re-adjusted the print size by percentage via. MS Paint, printed the image, use a crafting knife to cut the image and placed it under the plexiglass.

Here are the images of my process (in chronological order):
ggsnipess
so if any of you guys actually play BMS or bms converts here, I remember having something. i2DX controller, basically making your iPad a IIDX controller, while allowing you to play anything :D

Note: this wont work on tricoro, due to it wanting actual devices. Does work on BMS/Osu, can't really tell any lag (use machine IP address, not internet address) its good if you have an iPad and want to get a rough feel which hand you like to use.
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
I actually remember reading up that there's a bit of lag in terms of input. It is a very nice app to use if you just want to give the game a shot. I think there's a SDVX controller for the iPad as well? The person who developed the app should have that included or unless it's still in the works haha.

I recently picked up BMS again and got ★初段 within the IR Dan course category. Also went on a ridiculous ★1~3 HC spree and cleared out a few ★4s and ★5s. The only reason why I didn't really play much BMS is because I couldn't really find my timing window and it was difficult to transition between AC Tricoro/SPADA and BMS. SPADA is boring as shit so I'm taking a break from the game and working on my physical and reading stamina.
TakuMii
I'm getting into Tricoro, had to fidget a lot with my screen's refresh rate to get the timing windows properly in sync with the music, but it's been pretty fun once I got things set up.

Anyways, I'm still playing on my keyboard, and I'm wondering if it's really worth picking up a US IIDX PS2 controller. I'm short on cash, so I can't really spring for something like a Dao controller, so that looked like a good option. I already have a Playstation-to-USB adapter, and I might be able to pick up the controller (and the PS2 game that I wouldn't want or play) for $60, but I don't want to pick it up if I'm better off sticking to my beloved mechanical keyboard. Thoughts?
ggsnipess
Grab it if you can, its a good start honestly, after 8s and 9s is when you'll want to get a Dao, or hell, be one of those JP BMS players who just play on a KOC for overjoys. Honestly, its probably a good buy, compared to where I am, it costs me 100 bucks just for it lol.
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
As Pero mentioned, try to get a USKOC and start from there. If you manage to get to a decent level of play on the official data, you may want to consider purchasing a DAO FPS (same size as a US/JKOC but with arcade spacing and Sanwa/Dao buttons) or FP7 (the controllers I'm using atm) since the PS2 -> USB adapter will give you delayed inputs as you play harder charts (10s+). However if you want to just play BMS, you could do that too; I've played BMS using just a JKOC with a PS2 -> USB adapter and there's no issues, it's just the official data gives me input problems so I use my FP7s.

Also if you ever come across FPS rate issues (again), install Powerstrip and you're able to set a custom refresh rate and lock it to a specific value. I locked my refresh rate at 59.991 (via. Powerstrip) and during the monitor check I have: 59.9921 which is a pretty solid value.
Pettchanashi

LikaKrazy wrote:

The only reason why I didn't really play much BMS is because I couldn't really find my timing window and it was difficult to transition between AC Tricoro/SPADA and BMS.
Is there any way to "move" that window on lr2? That'd be great if the timing was more like in iidx.
Ryu Sei
Don't know about it...
---
Recently tried to play BMS.... using LR2...
But yah, my laptop is getting a huge lag after running it for ~10mins...
Any solution?
Pettchanashi
Maybe try to set its priority to "realtime" or "high" in the task manager. Also, try to run the game in fullscreen if you play it windowed.
Ryu Sei
Yup, that worked fine.
Also, as far as I find I couldn't find the BMS file finder (similar as Google search) on the net....
Is there any on DEE? I've didn't checked it again for a long time.
Pettchanashi
I've never seen anything like that. When I want to download a specific chart I just look for it on google. Unfortunatelly it's probably the only way.
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

Ryu Sei wrote:

Yup, that worked fine.
Also, as far as I find I couldn't find the BMS file finder (similar as Google search) on the net....
Is there any on DEE? I've didn't checked it again for a long time.
Use this: http://absolute.pv.land.to/uploader/all.html?1403174848

Kucyk wrote:

LikaKrazy wrote:

The only reason why I didn't really play much BMS is because I couldn't really find my timing window and it was difficult to transition between AC Tricoro/SPADA and BMS.
Is there any way to "move" that window on lr2? That'd be great if the timing was more like in iidx.
The timing window is how you play. You need to find how you time accordingly on Tricoro then try to play a few rounds on BMS to figure out what your sudden value should be and your AVG speed (your reading/scroll speed) has to be. It's all trial and error until you find those specific values.

Also keep in mind when you play charts that have "NORMAL" judgment, that's very close to IIDX timing but with "EASY" judgment, you can practically get away with murder on certain measures or parts that give you a difficult time within the chart by mashing haha.
Ryu Sei
I just tried to change my playstyle from o!m to IIDX, but wow I even can't pass Lv.4 chart. Any suggestion on playing with this style?
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
What exactly is your playstyle on OSU!Mania? What were you playing on (keyboard, controller, etc.)? You need to be a bit more detailed as to how you're playing and what you're playing on.
Ryu Sei
Er... basic O2Jam playstyle. And no, keyboard ghosting isn't my problem. Just... can't press the correct note using IIDX playstyle.
LCtrl-Z-E-V-Y-U-M-O-.
Both using controller and keyboard... my eyes just can't see which one is which one...
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
I never knew such a playstyle had existed like that; then again you learn something new everyday.

To answer your question, when I play IIDX on a keyboard my friends and I would play "spread", something like:
1.) Left Shift, zxc space ,./
2.) Left Shift, zxcv ,./
3.) Left Shift zxc m,./

I usually play by using the third method above, my friend uses the first because he used to play O2Jam and DMO or some shit back in the days. To be honest with you, if you're trying to play IIDX (officials), I highly recommend purchasing a dedicated controller to play, something like a US/JKOC with a PS2 -> USB adapter to start off and if you feel comfortable enough, purchase a DAO controller. Or if you want to just straight up play BMS on the keyboard, there's nothing wrong with that.
:)
TakuMii
Well, I'm a P2-sided player, and I normally play with WER (space) L;' (right shift), but I'm trying to learn the IIDX layout by playing MK,L.;/ (right shift). It's a little cramped, but I really feel like it's helping me understand how the buttons would be laid out on a controller.
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

YayMii wrote:

Well, I'm a P2-sided player, and I normally play with WER (space) L;' (right shift), but I'm trying to learn the IIDX layout by playing MK,L.;/ (right shift). It's a little cramped, but I really feel like it's helping me understand how the buttons would be laid out on a controller.
If you're trying to play and learn the IIDX layout, as I've mentioned before, try to get a hold of a US/JKOC so you actually learn the different hand positioning(s)/playstyles. I used to play with the IIDX layout via. keyboard and transitioning from keyboard to the actual layout it's a "whole new ball game". There are so many different hand positioning(s) that you're missing out if you're just playing via. keyboard; such as the notable 1048-shiki and 1048-stationary + wrist scratching. ///imo

Side note: I also do the same spread layout but: zxcv ,./ Right Shift oppose to using the Space bar.
TakuMii

LikaKrazy wrote:

If you're trying to play and learn the IIDX layout, as I've mentioned before, try to get a hold of a US/JKOC so you actually learn the different hand positioning(s)/playstyles. I used to play with the IIDX layout via. keyboard and transitioning from keyboard to the actual layout it's a "whole new ball game". There are so many different hand positioning(s) that you're missing out if you're just playing via. keyboard; such as the notable 1048-shiki and 1048-stationary + wrist scratching. ///imo

Side note: I also do the same spread layout but: zxcv ,./ Right Shift oppose to using the Space bar.
I'm thinking of picking up a USKOC (which I've already mentioned earlier in this thread), which is why I'm trying to learn IIDX-style on keyboard. But I'm only at 1dan/2dan when I play with a spread layout (and quite a bit lower than that when playing with the layout I mentioned earlier). Do you think it's still worth the effort for me to keep at it, or should I just stick to the spread layout until I get a controller?
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
Play spread for a bit until you've purchased a USKOC then take the time to learn the layout. I honestly feel as though you shouldn't have to force yourself to play like that on the keyboard (the IIDX layout that is).

The transition from spread to the dedicated controller shouldn't be too bad, just backtrack a bit and pace yourself; for instance, understand where the keys are, try to figure out a decent hand positioning/playstyle that makes you comfortable for the time being and just have fun. Since you play on the 2P side you could ask me for tips or playstyles since I also play on the 2P side myself.

:3
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy
ggsnipess
Teams for BOF 2014 Reloaded: http://manbow.nothing.sh/event/page/g2r ... 5%CA%A5%EB

holy shit, xi, nora2r, nekomirin in one team, then another god damn powerhouse team, LeaF, sakuzyo, nankumo. I can't handle the epicnesssssssss
Pinecone
wooow never knew there was a thread for this

BOF2014 /o/
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

-Hazelnut wrote:

wooow never knew there was a thread for this

BOF2014 /o/
Yeeeah, this thread has been around for a while posting here and there lol.
Pettchanashi
Oh wow, I didn't know this thread is still alive.

I don't get why they changed the name to "GO BACK 2 YOUR ROOTS". Sounds pretty dumb imo. D:
kisata
yay, I suck at tricoro and just started playing ww and this thread needs more activity!

Oh well. I should be getting an actual controller sometime soon; got a rainbow from someone in china shipping to me! I can only really pass 3's (really easy) and 4's (somewhat difficult) atm, maybe one of the really really easy 5's but would be a lot of luck since the gap is a bit larger there. Sad too, because there's a lot of nice songs I like that are 5's. I play at least one or two ~20 minute sessions each day, but I'm really trying to hold off on playing a lot until my controller arrives in the next week or so. Keyboard iidx ;_+

Kinda wish this was (or there was) a general bemani thread, since I play reflec beat too orz.

edit: daaammn that leaf/sakuzyo team for bms is going to be a powerhouse
Nyquill
hi posting because I was asked to

I achieved 6dan in the arcade (refugee from the safari :<). Still working on that here.
AxelHino
\\SPADA 七段!//
Nyquill

AxelHino wrote:

\\SPADA 七段!//
/me jealous

I'm probably just going to jump to 8dan
Pettchanashi
At least you have arcades. The nearest SPADA is like 1500 kilometers away from me ;_;
TakuMii
Finally got that USKOC that I've been wanting to buy for a while, and managed to magically overclock the polling rate to 1000Hz, and it feels incredibly responsive! Pretty awesome considering that I've been hearing all sorts of complaints about input lag and being limited to only 250Hz. I also found out that the d3d antilag hook also seems to work with the tricoro AC, and that helps quite a bit too.

Anyways, I'm trying hard to make it back up to 3dan (where i was on keyboard before I switched), but some of the more scratch-heavy songs are really killing me. I don't want to be developing bad habits from using a smaller turntable (e.g. pinky scratching), so I really don't know how I should be scratching. I'm okay with maps like Shakunetsu Beach Side Bunny (N) where you're practically playing the keys one-handed though, it's only the transitions I have problems with. Any tips or info that I should know?
Pettchanashi

YayMii wrote:

I don't want to be developing bad habits from using a smaller turntable
From what I know the size of a turntable doesn't really matter. What matters is the distance between keys and a tt. I'm still pretty bad at the game so I can't really give you any advices. :s
Ryu Sei
I've finded over and over for this BMS chart but I can't find one. Anyohe have this?
Topic Starter
LikaKrazy

YayMii wrote:

Finally got that USKOC that I've been wanting to buy for a while, and managed to magically overclock the polling rate to 1000Hz, and it feels incredibly responsive! Pretty awesome considering that I've been hearing all sorts of complaints about input lag and being limited to only 250Hz. I also found out that the d3d antilag hook also seems to work with the tricoro AC, and that helps quite a bit too.

Anyways, I'm trying hard to make it back up to 3dan (where i was on keyboard before I switched), but some of the more scratch-heavy songs are really killing me. I don't want to be developing bad habits from using a smaller turntable (e.g. pinky scratching), so I really don't know how I should be scratching. I'm okay with maps like Shakunetsu Beach Side Bunny (N) where you're practically playing the keys one-handed though, it's only the transitions I have problems with. Any tips or info that I should know?
Turntable size doesn't matter, as long as you're able to hit the scratch and the controller works, you're fine. You're supposed to be pinky scratching if the scratch comes up or if you're playing scratch heavy songs, use your: middle, ring, pinky for a firm grip on the TT to scratch and use your left hand to hit the keys and right thumb to hit keys 6 and 7 if necessary.

Since you're making the transition from keyboard to controller, it'll take you a few games here and there to re-adjust. The most efficient play style (//imo) has to be 1048-shiki which is playing like this: http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm21611440

So what you're doing is that your left hand is static and right hand is slightly shifted in a horizontal position in which it makes it easier to reach out to catch the TT notes, the position goes as followed:
Key 1 -> Left Ring
Key 2 -> Left Middle
Key 3 -> Left Thumb
Key 4 -> Left Index
Key 5 -> Right Index
Key 6 -> Right Middle
Key 7 -> Right Thumb
TT -> Pinky

Usually I play a lot of BMS using this position and at times I have to resort to wrist scratching, but you can get around with just pinky scratching, you just have to be a little faster.
show more