forum

Nervousness kills so many attempts ;_;

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
A Pig that flys
I'm a person who get's real nervous real easy. For example, when I've played a beatmap almost 400 times without a completion, I'm gonna get real nervous when I get close to beating it. Well...I've been about 10 seconds away from beating Just Awake (https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44527) about 4-5 times...and well, my heart just starts beating like crazy and I lose control of my stability and quick-tapping ability and just mess up and fail...I will beat it the day that my heart stops beating...saddening, really :P
Mofu kun
I am never getting the time it took to read that anecdote back.

Like really, everyone has that.
Vuelo Eluko
i was already passing that at 130k rank just practice
Filthy Casual

MoF10 wrote:

This

Also you should be playing maps that you can beat, but still challenge you. You're not going to learn a whole lot from struggling through a map like this and getting terrible accuracy.
leepdesu
start breathing slower, helps alot for me
Witch Mercy
I feel your pain bro.
But usually playing the map more helps me feel less nervous every time cause I start memorizing the pattern and shet.
Xyrax Alaria
Everyone has this. It fades with time. However it never goes away fully, there are always going to be times when you feel nervous. Eventually it just get's easier to handle over time. Just keep on playing, and do your best!
Top Bunk
I still have issues with it myself, but I deal with it. The more I play, the easier it gets to overcome it. Although for some reason it comes back in full force whenever I do multiplayer with friends for the first few matches (although by the time I get through a few matches with them, my physical strength is already drained because they like to throw long insane endurance maps at me right off the bat). But oh well, I can only get better in due time despite my slow progression rate.
nooblet

MoF10 wrote:

;w; Why didn't anyone warn us before reading it amirite or amirite

To topic: Play really long songs and get used to that feeling when you break a 2k combo. Once you get used to that feeling, breaking small combos are nothing.

If you still can't get used to it, play really really short songs that are easy to combo (like, say, some of the millions of TV sizes out there). Nervousness happens to everyone, especially when you're about to get a top 50 for a difficult song (unlike the one linked above). Everyone has their own way to deal with it.

Also t/206235?hilit=nervous . If that's not enough there's another link in there as well.
winber1
once you realize that everyone is complete trash at this game and that we are all wasting our time, anything is possible

imagination
xasuma

Apigthatflys wrote:

when I've played a beatmap almost 400 times without a completion

Don't.
Rewben2
I get really nervous when I'm setting a good score for myself, my heart races and my stomach starts hurting... Nothing you can do to get over it besides stop caring. It's easier said than done to just stop caring lol, at least for myself. If I'm playing a map I know I can't get a score on or an unranked map I don't get nervous at all though, it only happens when I'm getting a good score.

It doesn't seem to kill my runs though, I still play quite well when I'm nervous, so I guess it's not really a problem?
Zignide
About that, I kinda found out it depends on the way you take it.
If you think you'll miss because of being nervous, then you have a way higher chance to do so than by just being nervous.
I don't think it's that bad by itself, though it is quite annoying when it happens ;-;

xasuma wrote:

Apigthatflys wrote:

Don't.
Y u do dis
Blueprint
Try to FC short more difficult songs, at least that's what I do my nerves get the better of me when I go beyond 1000 combo
EcchiMeister
just stay calm as much as possible . . . thats the only way and you'll get a hang of it.
you know that feel right when you're thinking of something else while playing beatmaps and then you magically FC it ( ofc maps that are not that uber difficult for you xD), get used to that . . .

I too choke on several maps but as of late I don't really think too much about it. Sometimes I get agitated though haha like that time you could almost finish a map then your heart thumping so hard you eventually miss then you naturally exhaled hard realizing you almost forgot to breath LOL
Kaeru
I get this too.. a ridiculous amount. The only real cure for me is beta blockers, but I don't have any left and taking them for a game seems a little extreme..
Cocaine dog
I thought I got nervous because I held my pen like I was strangling it, then I relaxed my entire body and did the map until it was like a reflex..
That way I lost my nervousness atleast, even though I still get it with 99.70% acc and a 1500 combo or somthn ;) :D
Topic Starter
A Pig that flys

xasuma wrote:

Apigthatflys wrote:

Don't.
May I add a good ~350 of my now 496 attempts were when I knew I couldn't beat it, I just liked playing it with No Fail :P I only have around 150 plays actually trying to beat it :P
Topic Starter
A Pig that flys

Filthy Casual wrote:

Also you should be playing maps that you can beat, but still challenge you. You're not going to learn a whole lot from struggling through a map like this and getting terrible accuracy.
I still play map's I can beat, but I find that maps I can't beat or I can beat here and there get me better faster than beating maps over and over again. And I still manage to keep my Acc. up around 92 right now and still climbing :P
Vuelo Eluko

Apigthatflys wrote:

Filthy Casual wrote:

I still play map's I can beat, but I find that maps I can't beat or I can beat here and there get me better faster than beating maps over and over again. And I still manage to keep my Acc. up around 92 right now and still climbing :P
most of my top ranks arent even full combos. Hell yeah low accuracy bro, im right there with ya. im probably never going to have good acc simply because i dont play things easy enough to get high acc on
Xaffy
As long as your relying on luck to achieve your goals, you'll be nervous.
Vuelo Eluko

Xafnia wrote:

aint no such thing as luck
Sylveon
For me, anything that I know FC=PP and its challenging I get nervous, sometimes before i even start the map (if I have tried before) as you improve obviously things get easier, I can comfortably get 99% acc without my heart beat going up or anything on like 3.7 stars and below.. I'm sure in a couple of months the 4 star maps will become easier and so forth. but ye, heart beat always raises.. cursor always wobbles.. meh I expect myself to do it now.. even slow breathing doesn't help :P
GoldenWolf

Xafnia wrote:

This is so wrong though
Kouya-
Yep, this kinda happens to me when I'm playing a song on Insane and make it to the end of the song with an S .

I screw up just seconds before the beatmap ends ;-;
Elzapatoverde
Yep, this is why my maximum combo is still 1933 or I cant FC 4,X stars songs... I just lose control of my hands.

nooblet wrote:

To topic: Play really long songs and get used to that feeling when you break a 2k combo. Once you get used to that feeling, breaking small combos are nothing.
This could be a solution, i will try it >.<