forum

Improving at spinners...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HellKnight101
So, I recently started playing Osu!. Even though I've improved my accuracy quite a bit, I've noticed that I'm getting worse at spinners. Before, I could get 4000 without any problems, but now I can barely reach 2000 without getting my hand tired. I try to force my mouse near the center as much as I can, but it keeps pulling away and the motions I make can barely be called spinning.
Can anyone give my any tips or send me a couple of maps. Help and criticism appreciated. :D
Blueprint
I can't help you but, you know your spins don't do anything unless your going for top 50 as you can complete spinners it's fine.
Only worry about your combo and accuracy and just complete spinners ^^
Wnaqer
The harder the map, the harder the spinner (you need to spin faster in order to start getting 1000s). Don't look at the point, look at RPM.
Maxis

Wnaqer wrote:

The harder the map, the harder the spinner (you need to spin faster in order to start getting 1000s). Don't look at the point, look at RPM.
^This. I think usually 300+ RPM will be enough for most maps, maybe 320-340 later on. If you're already there, you don't need to worry. Like Blueprint said, spinners are only good if you're going for top 50 on beatmaps. If you don't care about score, then as long as you're clearing spinners you don't need to worry about them.
Tips anyway:
Unfortunately, the only way to get faster at spinners (or really, better at anything in osu) is to just practice, because you'll eventually start to learn what kind of motions in your hands are fast spins in osu. Remember to do what makes you feel comfortable; experiment with spinning differently and see how it feels: if you spin clockwise, try counter-clockwise, or if you spin small and close to the center, try spinning in huge circles.
Topic Starter
HellKnight101
Thank you all for the advice. To be honest, I care more about the rank than the score. I think I'll try the different approach method xMaxisx suggested. Until then, I'll just keep practicing.
Support
Im not sure if this applies to you but have you tried turning mouse acceleration off?
nooblet

HellKnight101 wrote:

Thank you all for the advice. To be honest, I care more about the rank than the score. I think I'll try the different approach method xMaxisx suggested. Until then, I'll just keep practicing.
I'd like to kindly disagree. Learn to spin small circles. Unless you're playing [Easy] diffs, you're gonna need to control where your cursor is after the spinner a lot of the time. You can start with the size Auto mod spins at, at least I find it pretty comfortable. If not, try a bit bigger or smaller, but don't overdo it. Spinner bonuses don't matter as much as making sure the note afterwards is a 300.
Topic Starter
HellKnight101

Support wrote:

Im not sure if this applies to you but have you tried turning mouse acceleration off?
Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I haven't tried it. Does it really help in increasing accuracy? I think I'll give it a shot.
Noobsicle
your spinners will probably become smaller and therefore you'll achieve a faster spm
Topic Starter
HellKnight101

Noobsicle wrote:

your spinners will probably become smaller and therefore you'll achieve a faster spm
Yeah, you and Support were right. It actually did help in improving my spins. Now my mouse feels more responsive.
Vuelo Eluko
spinning is, in my opinion, 10% practice, and 90% technique. there's people in the upper 100-300 ranks that cant hit 400 rpms because they dont have the technique to do so... and that's because for them they never had a need to optimize their spin because they never farmed easy maps with all 4mod SS where spinning is the deciding factor on who gets the top score. Most of them are playing on maps where just accuracy and combo are the deciders...

Technique is important. It doesn't matter if you spent 10 years trying to spin fast with your fingers alone, someone like lncognito [who uses a mouse spin technique that makes his cursor draw squares around the screen to instantly hit 470] will always ramp up faster and maintain a faster spin.

Obviously im not saying you should try a full screen spin technique, that's silly, inefficient, and an extreme example of spinner speed min-maxing, but generally you want to use your arm to spin for the speed, if you're just using your fingers and wrist to spin your mouse, you will never have a competitive spin, but you should be able to hold 300, which is just about the point where you'll probably never have to worry about improving your spin anymore.