forum

[invalid] [Archived] Cursor drag / magnetism

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
charlielawl
Problem Details:
Okay so I'm not sure if this is a new issue, or if I was just too bad at the game to notice before now, but I seem to be getting cursor "lag". On sliders it almost feels like a magnetic dragging effect, and when streaming sometimes my cursor just stops moving altogether. I've been experiencing this issue for about a week now and my last option before reformatting (and hoping for the best) is to come to the Osu! technical support staff for advice. I'd like to note that this problem does not occur in relaxed mode so I'm guessing it has something to do with when I input keys.

t/195220/start=0

The above thread also contains the same problem that I'm experiencing.

I've tried everything listed in this thread and made sure that my tablet (wacom ctl-480) was set to "absolute" mode and the drivers are properly installed, as well as tested various laser mice with a variety of DPI settings, windows AND in-game sensitivities.
Tried enabling raw input, enabling mouse acceleration in windows, swapped windows base sensitivity, 1/11 - 11/11 and everything inbetween
Swapped from Direct X to Open GL
Reinstalled Direct X (most updated version for W7)
Tested all of the available compatibility modes

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
The problem isn't really visible in a video / screenshot - to someone who isn't the person actually playing it would just appear to be a user error.

osu! version: 20140528.3 (latest)

List of my PC specs :
Windows 7 Ultimate (disabled Aero scheme and cursor)
AMD FX 9590 8 core stock 5.0 GHz OC'd @ 5.4GHz
Dual Radeon HD7850's 900MHz Core Clock & 1500MHz Memory clock (on each card) / alternatively swapped in a GeForce GTX Titan Black, no better.
16GB DDR3 1600 MHz Ripjaw memory
Typically I run Osu! off my 1TB HDD 10,000RPM Western Digital Velociraptor but I tried running it off of an SSD as well as a USB3.0 drive.

List of my Peripherals:
5$ HP Walmart mouse 400DPI(my favorite mouse of all time) / Alternatively tried a Death Adder with DPI variants of 400 to 6400 and changed polling rates

Corsair Vengeance k70 cherry mx red switch keyboard (again, swapped the polling rates around and messed around with it. uninstalled / reinstalled drivers)
10$ walmart Onn brand rubber dome keyboard (to ensure the Corsair wasn't the cause of the issue)

BenQ XL2720T 1920x1080 120hz 1ms repsonse time monitor (installed / reinstalled drivers, tested multiple picture modes from FPS to RTS to Standard to SRGB) Also tested an old 60hz CRT monitor and a random 17" 2006 LCD (Tried multiple resolutions / full screen & windowed mode on each monitor)
Also tried AGP, DVI, HDMI, and Dual Link DVI cables.

As mentioned above, tried it on my wacom intuos ctl 480 (the problem seems to be much worse on the tablet as opposed to the mouse)

If anyone has any ideas as to what it could be please let me know. As it is now Insanes are completely unplayable and it's hindering my ability to enjoy the game.

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT FROM MY ORIGINAL POST:
It does actually happen in Relax mode, I just never seemed to notice because I didn't know what I was looking for. I've discovered something "new" about this magnetic effect. It's actually more like my cursor jutting back and forth even though I'm keeping a CONSISTENT speed when going over sliders. I think the reason I didn't notice on relaxed mode is because after the slider or stream / whatever it is that I'm doing the mouse LAUNCHES out at full force, as if it's trying to catch up to itself and get to the place it's actually supposed to be.
Full Tablet
Is it the same when playing fullscreen?

Did you try returning the CPU to stock speed?
Topic Starter
charlielawl
Yes there is not even a mild difference when changing any of these settings mentioned above.
Dexus
What do you have the pre-rendering option set to for your graphics card? Do you use any sort of graphics tool along with the game?
Try setting 1 pre-rendered frame and remove/disable using the graphics tool. Fullscreen is recommended.
Topic Starter
charlielawl
As you may or may not know, ATI cards do not have pre-rendering frame options, but I've tested the ATI equivalent (Flip Queue Size) at 1-5 frames and it still hasn't made a difference. Does Osu! support triple buffering?

Edit: Sorry for the delayed response, real life / lack of sleep got the better of me. Was incapacitated for around twelve hours.

Edit2: I'm currently messing with both Catalyst Control Center as well as Radeon Pro, default Flip Queue Size is typically 3. I had it set to driver default (which should be 3).
Kayla
Lots of people have this problem and nobody is willing to admit its a thing or isolate/diagnose/fix it which is frustrating. They just say replace your computer.. so I did I went and got a brand new computer, and guess what? I still had input delay and the magnetic sliders. Its a hardware issue? I say its an osu issue. I say its a problem with osu handling inputs while you are moving your input device around with depressed keys. The reason why sliders do it is because sliders need to be 'held'. I say it has something to do with that. It would also explain why streams sometimes become latent or hard to follow aswell.. because the delay or negation would happen due to the constantly depressed keys.
Topic Starter
charlielawl
I'm going to be reformatting to Windows 8.1 today, I'll give an update on the situation. More ideas towards fixes on W7 Ultimate would still be appreciated as it is my preferred operating system.
Topic Starter
charlielawl
Is it at all possible that I just have too many beatmaps in general?
TheVileOne
The number of beatmaps should not affect performance in game. I doubt this is a problem with the game itself. Dragging is not a complex motion, and the coding logic behind it is probably optimal. The game also cannot affect how fast the cursor moves during certain actions. If you're getting an unnatural movement, be assured that the game cannot and does not keep the cursor snapped to any point in the screen. Holding down an input key merely tells the game to check for certain events.

I have a feeling this holding behavior applies to other games too. I'm going to take a wild guess at the diagnosis. Dragging during sliders creates a performance loss, which is limiting how smoothly your cursor moves. Either that or you have some kind of driver that is causing a different behavior when holding down an input key.

Please test that the behavior does not occur as a result of just dragging your cursor.
Topic Starter
charlielawl
I'm not sure how I would test it without some kind of application. It's borderline impossible to tell without something as precision intensive as Osu! to tell. I tried making a pseudo Osu! map out of my desktop icons and I didn't seem to have any problems.
Topic Starter
charlielawl
would drag and dropping folders as opposed to installing .osk / .osz files cause a problem?
Topic Starter
charlielawl
I've posted a VERY important edit in my original post, it completely changes the entire scenario. I'd also like to add that just today I tried disabling "hide cursor while typing" and that didn't seem to help one bit (not that I had a lot of hope that it would).
TheVileOne
A video would really be helpful to have an idea what the cursor is actually doing.
Dokie
Same problem, tried everything you did but also installed windows 8, 8.1 and 7, had the same bug with everyone of them.
I have a GTX 570, i7 2600K and one asus p8z68-v pro, just for information about the topic, if anyone does have same specs it can be related to some hw problem.
The problem still happens when I click on dots, but it's way less noticeable (but still noticeable when notes are on a line -> -> -> or streams, in which you should keep your movement constant but the mouse slows down for a few ms when clicking).
About the performance loss, Osu can run at 3.5k fps almost constant in here but I limited the fps to 480 using msiafterburner (since the problem cause could be 3.5k fps dropping to 400~ for a few ms). Tried running with 60fps vsync, 120fps and 240fps, the problem was still present but it's really hard to play with the lag that exist with those frame limiters.
The other things that I already tried (already tried everything that charlielawl commented in his first post):
- Changed usb ports, reinstalled their drivers in all Windows versions.
- Changed keyboard and mouse.
- Checked if PSU was giving enough power to everyone, as well as if graphics card wasn't screwing up (overheating/etc).
- Tried every osu! config possible (full screen and windowed with different resolutions, changed skins, checked and unchecked every osu option related to the problem), as well as tried almost every nvidia driver for my graphics card and geforce experience config (nvidia control pannel).
As Kurimu said, this can be a problem related to how well osu! handles the "holding" key method but if that was the problem everyone should experience this kind of delay.
The problem doesn't seem to happen in every map. There are maps that I don't feel the lag that annoying, as well as there are maps that are really unplayable (hards that have lots of sliders with dt are hell to play, since the mouse lags on every slider >_>).
Will try to play osu! in other computer with completely diferent specs and i'll post a feedback about it in here.
I’m working on improving my English, sorry :P

@edit:
After a few tests I discovered that the problem gets a lot more annoying when I retry some map (or retry a lot of times), if I go to the map selection menu and select the same map it doesn't get that worse. I updated bios, cleaned PC (remove dust, etc), changed RAM slots and did a clean install of latest nvidia driver, nothing seems to solve the problem. And I don't think that I have any other driver that can be causing this behavior when i'm holding down any key... Will update this post later.

@edit2:
After some time the thread oppener sent a pm to me saying that the problem is caused by .net framework.
If I try to use .netframework 4.5.1 the game bugs like hell, using 4.0 it is playable but the problem isn't solved at all.
PIECEofTOAST
Sorry for reviving this but I have this problem as well. No idea why this was archived because the problem obviously still exists.
I am almost positive it is not on my end because I don't have this problem in any other games(and I play games a lot)

Not sure why people seem so set on this not being and issue with osu and that it is our fault it pretty clearly seems like an issue with osu.
drum drum
Archived just means nobody replied for a significant amount of time.
scottysace
im having this issue now can anyone help