forum

[invalid] Keep custom diff names, differentiate by star ratings insead

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nrl
Personally, I don't see a need for rigid diff names when we have a perfectly functional rating system already in place, and homogenizing diff names prevents mappers from communicating the mapping style used on the diff (0108, skystar, etc.). Why not let the diff names be whatever the mapper wants and simply make the star rating available to the player as a method of gauging the diff's difficulty?
neonat
Because it has already been discussed about.

peppy wrote:

in other words, make sure the average human player can understand what difficulty the map is by reading the difficulty name. without knowing the mapper. without special knowledge of a niche topic.

peppy wrote:

Okay then here's my only compromise: You can name the highest difficulty something tastefully different from the rest under the following conditions:

It can't be a username, or anything related to a username.
The other difficulties should make sense in an increasing scale way, as previously discussed.

My goal here is to avoid the difficulty name becoming a way of determining the mapper. This is an unintended use and I will never stand for it.
Naming them by mapping style is basically making it a way to determine who mapped it, which is what is to be avoided.
silmarilen
0108's extra
skystar's extra

i dont see how this doesnt make clear that it was them who mapped it
Topic Starter
nrl
It's not really about clarity, I just don't understand the need for that level of specificity with a more accurate rating system already in place.
Granger
Well the current ingame star ratings are not always accurate... the website one is better so maybe we can discuss this when the client uses the website stars.
deadbeat
this sort of thing isn't discussed here sorry. it's a ranking criteria issue