forum

Methods for streaming faster with arthritis

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shimatora
Annoyingly, I'm currently dealing with rheumatoid arthritis at quite a young age. I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with similar issues in their hands and what methods they might use to stream faster? I currently do take medication for it which makes the pain mostly go away, but the stiffness and the swelling still stays, which really affects my ability to press buttons fast, especially my stamina. I've thought of a few possibilities I'll probably end up trying today to see if it makes my playing any more comfortable.

For reference I'm currently using a Bush KU 0833 using numpad buttons 4 and 5 with my middle and pointing fingers. I currently do not have the money to spend on a mechanical keyboard.

The options I've considered are altering how my hand is when playing, so rather my fingers being like spider's legs, having them more flat. Alternatively, trying different fingers and changing the spacing on the keys I use, like using 4 and 6 instead of 4 and 5.

Any feedback would be great! I currently feel very limited by my medical issue and would honestly love to play the more stream filled maps, but as it currently is, it's just completely beyond my physical abilities. Thanks!

EDIT: I use a tablet.
RaneFire
I'm not sure how you'd cope with, but you could try playing click+x or tap+x style?

Less movement required with a key press for each hand, ultimately just 1 finger with your keyboard hand.
thelewa
I have to second tap/x as it means all the movement would come from the wrist.
Topic Starter
Shimatora

RaneFire wrote:

I'm not sure how you'd cope with, but you could try playing click+x or tap+x style?

Less movement required with a key press for each hand, ultimately just 1 finger with your keyboard hand.
Yes, this was the original idea but would hopefully just be a last resort if I can't find anything else. I don't really like how, when I've tried it, it feels far less fluid, if that makes sense? Hovering the entire time just makes aim a lot easier rather than moving plus pressing. I guess it'd have to do for just streams, I'll definitely give it a shot! Thanks.

EDIT:

thelewa wrote:

I have to second tap/x as it means all the movement would come from the wrist.
Not sure I understand. Second tap/x? I presume it's a similar suggestion to RaneFire's, just not sure what the "second" part implies. Thanks for your suggestion though!
winber1
lol, second isn't part of the phrase "tap/x"

it's like someone says "I think we should get pizza for lunch." then another person says "I second that idea."
Topic Starter
Shimatora

winber1 wrote:

lol, second isn't part of the phrase "tap/x"

it's like someone says "I think we should get pizza for lunch." then another person says "I second that idea."
Slightly odd way to put it, but I get it now. Wording was slightly ambiguous considering "I have to second tap/x" can mean "I'm forced to (second tap/x) where (second tap/x) is the method. Thanks for clearing it up though!