forum

[IRC] Automatic location-based !faq PMs

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
Neo@lex
The current !faq [language] thing only displays if you're a mod, and there are still times when there aren't any mods reading #osu to do it. Banchobot already has the functionality to detect your location based on your IP, so I think it'd be a good idea to have him automatically send messages to people if they're not in a predominantly English-speaking country telling them to go to #whatever in the language their location is known to speak.

hypothetical situation on IRC wrote:

Pierre|osu has joined #osu
<Pierre> BR?
<Tode> #spanish
<Pierre> was ist das
<Roko> Go there dude.
<Pierre> Roko hablo mi quentes raskontiolez?
<Roko> wat
<Luke> !faq spanish
-nothing-
<Larto> !faq spanish
<BanchoBot> blah blah blah #spanish desu.
<Pierre> was ist das desu ka?

hypothetical solution wrote:

Pierre|osu has joined #osu
-> From Banchobot: blah blah blah #german desu.
Pierre|osu has joined #german
anonymous_old
Genius, as I said in IRC.

Gogogo.
Ekaru
This idea is genius, and your first example is genius. XD Support.
Ephemeral
It boggles my mind to think this hasn't been suggested already.
Azure_Kite
Approve entirely
The_Priest_In_Yellow

neo@lex wrote:

automatically send messages to people if they're not in a predominantly English-speaking country telling them to go to #whatever in the language their location is known to speak.
I don't really feel like getting my head pounded, because my location doesn't speak english.
!faq cockspeak
copypaste

Unless this has changed and footfolk no longer can generate that message at all.
No you can still send, receive and copypaste.

Edit: Location should be Region. Sorry, academic nitpicking.
Jinxy
I don't really know...
Wouldn't Bancho end up spamming those people and they end up coming to #osu to ask wtf is going on, in their language?
Topic Starter
Neo@lex
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
The_Priest_In_Yellow
Sounds troublesome to build, but I don't know anything about the inner workings of this machine.

Half-heartedly agreeing on this, I'm not entirely convinced this will keep people out of #osu (if that's the idea).
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Sinistro
I'm more in favour of language rather than region detection for the sake for foreigners who are decent in English, as well as the rare cases of English speakers living in a foreign country. Automatically suggesting a user from France goes to #french may discourage him to contribute to #osu while he had the potential to do so, so it could fragment the community needlessly.
Intermezzo

Sinistro wrote:

I'm more in favour of language rather than region detection for the sake for foreigners who are decent in English, as well as the rare cases of English speakers living in a foreign country. Automatically suggesting a user from France goes to #french may discourage him to contribute to #osu while he had the potential to do so, so it could fragment the community needlessly.
I cannot not see any posing problems when an additional tab is added next to the osu! tab.
People who are likely to contribute probably already found their own language channel.
qlum
i'm not really against this as long as it isn't forced on you since I rather have those messages in English
illuminist
It's really old requested feature, but somehow, the problem still happened until these day.

This feature would make chat channel much more clean since we automatic redirect all player into their appropriate language channel.

Suggestion:
  1. When a player get into game first time, determine his/her location from IP address and get he/she into appropriate channel.
  2. Determine from a foreign letters while there are in #osu and send them in to a channel corresponding to a letter they typed.
  3. Use a predefined dictionary to determine if they seeking for players in same country.
I guess chat moderators don't want to use !faq [language] too often because there are too many new player come every hours and often they don't know how to join a language channel. Just using !faq [language] is not enough to get they in to a channel though. If this feature implemented, they will reduce work of chat moderator a lot.
MillhioreF

illuminist wrote:

■ Determine from a foreign letters while there are in #osu and send them in to a channel corresponding to a letter they typed.
It actually used to work this way until sometime in 2011. Not sure why it was changed (maybe the BanchoBot spam?)
peppy
It changed due to the google API I was using becoming a paid service (and really expensive, at that). It's still possible to reimplement this in a more naive way with a bit of time.
XPJ38

illuminist wrote:

1. Determine from a foreign letters while there are in #osu and send them in to a channel corresponding to a letter they typed.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Every time a mathematical symbol was used, Bancho would redirect the user to #french :lol:
illuminist

peppy wrote:

It changed due to the google API I was using becoming a paid service (and really expensive, at that). It's still possible to reimplement this in a more naive way with a bit of time.
I think it can determine from the character unicode range for rough result. Combining with pre-define dictionary will work better than only one method.

Is determine from user location still possible?