forum

tablet yes or no?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Noobsicle

Shavit-sama wrote:

I use a tablet and it's bullshit, if I'd stayed with mouse I could've been better than what I am now.

Summary:
Tablet - for bullshit players who can't play with mouse
Mouse - make sure you have a good one, Razer's bullshit too (unless you get your hands on a faultless deathadder), CM Storm mice and Logitech G400/G400s/G500/G500s/MX518 are great.
AmaiHachimitsu
What is a bullshit player?

Someone who plays with bullshit?
shavit

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

What is a bullshit player?

Someone who plays with bullshit?
You play with mouse, you should know that it's not bullshit. Tablet is a waste of money.

Noobsicle wrote:

Shavit-sama wrote:

I use a tablet and it's bullshit, if I'd stayed with mouse I could've been better than what I am now.

Summary:
Tablet - for bullshit players who can't play with mouse
Mouse - make sure you have a good one, Razer's bullshit too (unless you get your hands on a faultless deathadder), CM Storm mice and Logitech G400/G400s/G500/G500s/MX518 are great.
I use a Razer Imperator and it sucks. I never tried those Logitech mice but I heard only good reviews on them.
nrl

Shavit-sama wrote:

You play with mouse, you should know that it's not bullshit. Tablet is a waste of money.
Disagree strongly. Apart from the fact that tablets have easily identifiable mechanical advantages, a vast majority of top players use tablets, and I personally experienced very immediate and very rapid improvement when I got my tablet.
shavit

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Shavit-sama wrote:

Disagree strongly. Apart from the fact that tablets have easily identifiable mechanical advantages, a vast majority of top players use tablets, and I personally experienced very immediate and very rapid improvement when I got my tablet.
You're telling that to yourself because you wasted money on one or because you badly wanted one. Face the truth.
You play for over 1 year, means you can read better than me and I suck at reading. If you was super bad with mouse that means you couldn't aim and that you're very bad with mouse, which is not an excuse to buy a tablet. I had my own stupid excuse of my mousepad being cold and that it makes moving my mouse very hard and now when I think about it, it's not that bad.
dung eater

Shavit-sama wrote:

I had my own stupid excuse of my mousepad being cold and that it makes moving my mouse very hard and now when I think about it, it's not that bad.
Get a cloth mousepad? ;A Warm and comfy, drinks your tears and blood.
B1rd

jaaakb wrote:

Shavit-sama wrote:

I had my own stupid excuse of my mousepad being cold and that it makes moving my mouse very hard and now when I think about it, it's not that bad.
Get a cloth mousepad? ;A Warm and comfy, drinks your tears and blood.
+1
NinjaNick
When I got a tablet I could tell the difference in a day or two. I became much, much better. It depends on the person though.
r u b y y
The mouse tablet war in this thread is insane. It's all based on preference, some people like tablet, some people like mouse.
DeletedUser_4041880

4ever8bit wrote:

The mouse tablet war in this thread is insane. It's all based on preference, some people like tablet, some people like mouse.
+1
Gifu
My and my friends experiences about using a tablet were very positive. After 15 Minutes of trying out a tablet we started to score as good with mouse. And like half an hour later we managed to pass levels that we could not do with a mouse. I think the magic behind holding a pen is that the tracking cant Mess up and that its much lighter and more comfortable than a mouse. I really suggest you to buy a tablet if you Want to take osu seriously and really Want to play iät and get better. If you only play it while your other games are loading / updating, Dong bother buying one. I know that people can do wonders with a mouse too but hey, it even LOOKS so much cooler Wien you use a pen to chase those circles ^_^. And it really saves your hand's stamina!
Varetyr

Gifu wrote:

My and my friends experiences about using a tablet were very positive. After 15 Minutes of trying out a tablet we started to score as good with mouse. And like half an hour later we managed to pass levels that we could not do with a mouse. I think the magic behind holding a pen is that the tracking cant Mess up and that its much lighter and more comfortable than a mouse. I really suggest you to buy a tablet if you Want to take osu seriously and really Want to play iät and get better. If you only play it while your other games are loading / updating, Dong bother buying one. I know that people can do wonders with a mouse too but hey, it even LOOKS so much cooler Wien you use a pen to chase those circles ^_^. And it really saves your hand's stamina!
I'm seriously wondering how long did you play with a mouse in the first place / how the heck do you actually use it though...
I have several friends who switched to tablet, to make it short :
- it took them about a week to reach their old level (+1 year of playing with mouse previously)
- some of them became slightly better at jumps
- none of them became suddenly better at osu! . Maybe after months, but it's probably more because of training
- they all assume it's somewhat "funnier", even the one who switched back to mouse

@OP : personal preferences. And anyway it's only one part of the game, having a tablet won't make you suddenly stream consistently, read AR10.3 or whatever, it doesn't change that much IMO. Just try it if possible for a couple of days, and if you feel better (or enjoy it more), then go on. Just don't expect too much from it, you won't become a pro just because of that.
B1rd
I think it's pretty much an accepted fact that (for the majority of people at least) tablet is easier than mouse- you can still get good with the mouse it just takes longer.
nrl

Shavit-sama wrote:

You're telling that to yourself because you wasted money on one or because you badly wanted one. Face the truth.
You play for over 1 year, means you can read better than me and I suck at reading. If you was super bad with mouse that means you couldn't aim and that you're very bad with mouse, which is not an excuse to buy a tablet. I had my own stupid excuse of my mousepad being cold and that it makes moving my mouse very hard and now when I think about it, it's not that bad.
Uhm, no. I bought it down the road in a physical store with a great no-questions-asked return policy - I didn't need post-purchase rationalization, I had a full month to bring it back for a full refund if I didn't like it. And I loved it. When I say immediate and rapid, I mean passing songs I couldn't pass with a mouse within an hour of unboxing. I mean FCing songs I couldn't pass with a mouse a few hours after that. I mean going from rank 150k to 50k within a single day. And you don't even have to believe me. The discrepancy between tablet representation and mouse representation in the top 1000 is staggering, and the tablet pen is mechanically superior to the mouse both for speed and precision due to the lack of friction and lower weight. That's not even considering that most people are more familiar with a writing utensil than a mouse anyways.
Otsutsuki_old
I got my CTL-480 yesterday, havent slept whole night to find my tablet area still not even close to my prev level with mouse. I have tried almost every viable tablet area for me, looks like I will have to work hard to master it properly.
TL;DR I recommend you to buy it but you will have to work hard, its not gonna make you better right away.
Blueprint

Otsutsuki wrote:

I got my CTL-480 yesterday, havent slept whole night to find my tablet area still not even close to my prev level with mouse. I have tried almost every viable tablet area for me, looks like I will have to work hard to master it properly.
TL;DR I recommend you to buy it but you will have to work hard, its not gonna make you better right away.
Common quote " find the largest area you can touch all 4 corners of your screen comfortably" stick with it
Kuki
Definitely for me, but it depends on preference. I have a Wacom Bamboo Pad, it was cheap and by a known brand so I grabbed it and it definitely hasn't disappointed. I recommend it highly if you're wanting a tablet just for osu!, otherwise you'd probably want a Wacom Intuos or something along those lines :)
Dexus
Tablets are pretty cheap and they work pretty effectively. It doesn't seem to be a debate of them being a money pit anymore. In my personal opinion it's more fun playing with a tablet than a mouse.

Here are some suggestions
Official Huion amazon store - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?&sell ... RCK3LE6SB5

Small ($24) [It's exactly like the osu! tablet, a little too small in my opinion but if you like micro areas then this will be plenty]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTPYWBG/

Medium ($36) [Decent size, Most players would use this full area]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOC9368/

Large ($40) [Kinda too big but worth it because you can experiment with lots of different sizes and you get plenty of space to rest your hand]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM00B9A/

Latest huion drivers and other news - http://huiontablet.tumblr.com

Wacom is bad, stay away from them.
nrl

Dexus wrote:

What is it about the Huion tablets that makes them so appealing? Better drivers and raw input?
Rewben2

Dexus wrote:

If it's good enough to be used by plenty of the top players then it's viable to be used by anyone.
Dexus
Feel free to spend a shit ton of money on proprietary equipment when you can get it a lot cheaper and a lot better elsewhere. Who cares if someone else uses something, using their equipment isn't going to make you better. Also, Seeing as the huion tablets are cheaper and the specs are better it's a no-brainer to get them.

Comparison
Wacom CTH680:
Price - $200
Active area - 8.5 x 5.3 in
Rps - 133hz
Other - Batteryless pen, Useless touch feature that can be disabled with a switch

Huion 680S:
Price - $40
Active area - 8 x 6 in
Rps - 200hz
Other - Use a battery operated pen (the AAA seems to last forever though), works with raw input.

These are huge tablets and only a portion of the active area is needed (roughly 50% to 60%).

The Huion 540, from the specs, seems to be the best budget tablet ($36).

Here is a comparison between the CTL-470 and Huion 540
Wacom CTL-470
Price - $100 to $70 (depends where you get it, since the vendor no longer sells it)
Active area - 5.7 x 3.6 in
Rps - 133hz

Huion 540
Price - $36
Active area - 5.5 x 4 in
Rps - 200hz

Lower price, supported by osu! with raw input, better hardware, and in some aspects better drivers. (hell some of the huion tablets don't even need drivers to be installed)
retepeters
most people say a tablet doesn't make you improve magiacally
well i don't think that is totally true...
for people like me that could never get used to holding the mouse right, it is great and gives you a ton of aditional potencial
i bought a tablet 11 days ago (just take a look at my profile's graph), but you probably can observe that the tablet (in some cases) is just way better than the mouse
Blueprint

Blueprint wrote:

gold wolf knows more than me but here's how it went for me I started mouse then used a tablet for a long time and now I'm back using mouse
While over time jumps are rather easy with the tablet my precision was pretty bad (bare in mind I used a small area which is probably equivalent to like 2000dpi)
and tight movements were actually harder for me but I never lost grip of my pen, firm grip.

Now if your like me with the mouse I think I have decent aim however after constantly jumping (some maps) I lose grip of my mouse over time and eventually miss ( Long set of notes before a break)

Here's what I think of course this is me as an individual.
Tablet: Consistent aim, jumps are a joke less accuracy for me because I'm more focused on what's ahead of me than what I need to hit
Mouse:Good aim that slowly wither's with no breaks in the beatmap(jumpy) no problem with a normal map, more accuracy because I have to focus on what I'm hitting or I will miss pretty snappy movement.

People say its easier to get better with a tablet but I have to say Aim takes a longer time to build up on tablet's
Rewben2
I didn't say that wacom was better or that it wasn't inferior. I was pointing out that wacom tablets are still definitely viable for buying and you shouldn't "stay away from them".
retepeters
actually wacom tablets are the best
they are the most popular so it is more likely for you to have some real help when u face a technical problem
either because of their quality (which is really good) or the better support... wacom are the best imo
DeletedUser_4041880

Varetyr wrote:

Gifu wrote:

I'm seriously wondering how long did you play with a mouse in the first place / how the heck do you actually use it though...
I have several friends who switched to tablet, to make it short :
- it took them about a week to reach their old level (+1 year of playing with mouse previously)
- some of them became slightly better at jumps
- none of them became suddenly better at osu! . Maybe after months, but it's probably more because of training
- they all assume it's somewhat "funnier", even the one who switched back to mouse
Varetyr explains this perfectly. You can't instantly become better with a tablet compared to mouse unless your skill level is so low that you can barely pass normal maps with a mouse. If you can almost FC extremely hard insane maps with a mouse, you'll find that you can barely hit any notes with a tablet if you played that map (assuming you never used a tablet).

Stop lying to yourself that a tablet makes you instantly better. It takes a while to reach the same skill level you have with your mouse.
Taadashi
While I haven't played standard that much I think that my logitech MX518 does a good job at tracking them circles. :)
[Zight]
New tablet user here. I got my tablet a week ago, I have been playing roughly for about 6 - 7 months, I got to about 25k rank with the mouse. I used to think that tablet was superior and if I had got one I would become better. Before I knew it i bought an Intuos.

The trick to osu isnt the equipment. Its the dedication and skill developed while playing, and everyone adapts, learns, and plays differently. I'm glad I got my tablet but is it so amazing compared to when I had a mouse? Not when I could have made the same 10k jump in rank with the mouse that i did in my first week with a tablet...

I know people who bought a tablet thinking that they'd be good within a couple weeks and some of them decided to switch back to the mouse because they were just better playing that way.

All of osu is about comfort, not equipment. It's very fun to experience the game differently though and therefore, I do recommend you get a tablet! Not because you instantly become cookiezi but because its nice to try new things, and you might even find using one more fun than using a mouse! :)
Yakuyan
Tablet/ Mouse......it doesn't matter really. I've been playing with a mouse and played with a tablet that I borrowed from a friend for like a week and I came to the conclusion that it just depends on what feels better to you. Personally I think that mice are good for streams and tablets are good for jumps but I got better at the game and now I can do jumps exceptionally with my mouse. All in all, I think its better to just try both and see what feels comfortable to you and just choose from there :D. If you don't have the money or you're feeling confused just do what I did, borrow from a friend :P
InControL_old
I bought a tablet 33 days ago and look at the effect it did on my ranking :)
nooblet

InControL wrote:

You stopped from January to March and started playing again in April. Look at the effect it did on your ranking :)

Edit: Forgot to add. It wasn't (just) your tablet.
InControL_old

nooblet wrote:

InControL wrote:

You stopped from January to March and started playing again in April. Look at the effect it did on your ranking :)

Edit: Forgot to add. It wasn't (just) your tablet.
QQ you stalker T_T but I still felt like I improved faster with tablet than with mouse :O
Oberyn_old
tablet ruins skill, 0/10 wouldnt buy
also my thumb finger feels like numb cuz i press with it too hard
Insyni
No experience with a tablet, so far my $10 mouse and $13 keyboard are decent enough.

SPOILER
Sometimes I wonder if they are holding me back, but I'm probably just bad.

So, no.
Clappy

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

nope, mouse players prefer streams than jumps
Not sure where you got your information from.
Blueprint

Clappy wrote:

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

nope, mouse players prefer streams than jumps
Not sure where you got your information from.
I prefer bursts over jumps, If I can help it I'll avoid actual streams
Otsutsuki_old

Dexus wrote:

Feel free to spend a shit ton of money on proprietary equipment when you can get it a lot cheaper and a lot better elsewhere. Who cares if someone else uses something, using their equipment isn't going to make you better. Also, Seeing as the huion tablets are cheaper and the specs are better it's a no-brainer to get them.

Comparison
Wacom CTH680:
Price - $200
Active area - 8.5 x 5.3 in
Rps - 133hz
Other - Batteryless pen, Useless touch feature that can be disabled with a switch

Huion 680S:
Price - $40
Active area - 8 x 6 in
Rps - 200hz
Other - Use a battery operated pen (the AAA seems to last forever though), works with raw input.

These are huge tablets and only a portion of the active area is needed (roughly 50% to 60%).

The Huion 540, from the specs, seems to be the best budget tablet ($36).

Here is a comparison between the CTL-470 and Huion 540
Wacom CTL-470
Price - $100 to $70 (depends where you get it, since the vendor no longer sells it)
Active area - 5.7 x 3.6 in
Rps - 133hz

Huion 540
Price - $36
Active area - 5.5 x 4 in
Rps - 200hz

Lower price, supported by osu! with raw input, better hardware, and in some aspects better drivers. (hell some of the huion tablets don't even need drivers to be installed)
agreed 100%, even though I own CTL-480 I can tell that post was fairly accurate. even their graphic monitors are overpriced af.
EnergyFlare

joel5858ftw wrote:

Hi im thinking about buying a tablet and i wonder if u think i will be able to do insane maps with a tablet?
i can do almost every hard map perfect

Yes buy tablets. If you buy tablets it will make you instant cookiezi
A Medic
Buy a cheap one and see how you like it.
TrinitehFoarse
Tip: Getting a tablet doesn't instantly make you Cookiezi or rrtyui.
show more