forum

Tablet gameplay: Full area or portion?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kazutakee
So I have been using a tablet for almost a month now, and I can see improvement in my stats. I didnt like how slow the full area mode was, so I began playing with portion size.
But many of my friends, if not all of them, are playing with full area(Im litteraly the only one who plays with portion size ._.).

What are the benefits when using full area? And is it recommended to play full area instead of portion size?

(I play with fullscreen. I get some choppy lag spikes when I play in windowed)
Mathsma
Full area + Full screen is pretty hard for most players. The majority of players that play full area usually play windowed with osu! taking up either 70% or 85% of their monitor space. Most people should be able to use 60% of their total tablet area for osu!, so try to work your way up to that.

Here is a picture that can help you find equivalent tablet areas for osu!
Blue is 60% (something thelewa used)
Purple is 70% (1366x768 on 1920x1080)
Pink is 85% (1366x768 on 1600x900)
Red is 100%

*Note this isn't really 60% of the actual area, but 60% of one dimension.

Oskur
Full area is gives more precision but with more movement, which is why a lot of players use full area with windowed mode. When you start off with the tablet, full area may seem really slow and sluggish, but that will go away with practice. Something worth noting is that when people talk about full area, they say that it's easier to hit precise jumps.

A smaller area lets you get somewhere faster with less movement.

It's really preference based, and you can probably get the same amount of progress done with both ways, but a lot of people pick full area over small area for the long run when they want to get to really difficult maps.

Also, if you have Windows 7, you should turn off Aero if you want to try windowed and you get framerate lag. However, it's not impossible to do full area with fullscreen (there's a Russian 300-400 rank who plays full area/fullscreen)
Shinjite

TMoI wrote:

Full area is gives more precision but with more movement, which is why a lot of players use full area with windowed mode. When you start off with the tablet, full area may seem really slow and sluggish, but that will go away with practice. Something worth noting is that when people talk about full area, they say that it's easier to hit precise jumps.

A smaller area lets you get somewhere faster with less movement.

It's really preference based, and you can probably get the same amount of progress done with both ways, but a lot of people pick full area over small area for the long run when they want to get to really difficult maps.

Also, if you have Windows 7, you should turn off Aero if you want to try windowed and you get framerate lag. However, it's not impossible to do full area with fullscreen (there's a Russian 300-400 rank who plays full area/fullscreen)
Also, Kynan (#29) plays full area/fullscreen.
truonant
I personally use the small portion on my tablet. I also play in windowed mode and I have dual monitors which means that the left and right movement on the tablet is much more compressed that it normally is. If I turned of one of my monitors, it would just throw me off completely, so I think it's just a matter of preference and what you're used to.