forum

I am confused with myself...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MewRage
When I started to play osu! I used only my mouse and then after wanting to get better i read about things people say on the forums and videos of sorts and I started alternating but didn't know anything about jumps streams etc. All I knew was to alternate on every note. I did this for a bit before i stopped playing osu!. Recently I started to play again but more religiously and I got much better at the game and even bought a tablet that will be here in a month. But, I've been alternating for all my osu! "career" and it's gotten really comfortable. I've read up on the forums for the past week I think and I decided to try to learn single tapping because single tapping is master race (just kidding of course, it's because I tried it a bit and it seems to just be more accurate for me and generally better in multiple ways). I've been singletapping for 2 days i think now and i played for these two days like 10 hours per day I think with breaks in between and for me single tapping has been proven to bring better results but I doesn't feel right, I have the instinct to alternate since it's way more comfortable but, I'm not as good when I switch to it because I was practicing single tapping so much, but with enough warming up it'll be like before. Now my question is, to any of you experienced players, what should I do, I really don't know what feels best for me because I would invest the time in any method to learn but I think I prefer single tapping not only because it feels better result wise but also because I subconsciously lean towards it because of all the pro players being mostly single tappers.

TL;DR I don't know what to do in my scenario, single tap or alternate ( inb4 index single tap master race)

I'm also going to do to bed now so I won't be able to reply until tomorrow but thanks in advanced for the help I may be getting <3
AegisFTW
To make things more complicated for myself and to train both alternating + single tapping, I alternate everything but 1/2 note stacks. I don't know WHY I do this though because I never actually intended to do my tapping style that way, and I guess it works because I can single tap around 280-320 BPM, that might be just from me practicing button mashing on Mario Party with my friends though.

Anyways single tapping has a lot of pluses like:
-Easier to do for most
-Better sense of rhythm
-Fingers have less of a chance to not trip
-Very fun at high speeds

Some opinions of mine when single tapping that it would be probably easier to single tap and snap.

For Alternating:
-No worrying about a song being too fast for you to tap (Most of the time)
-Great skill to practice for streams
-Easier transitions to streams and out of them
-The real pros do it

Personal opinion of mine that alternating is A LOT harder to do when trying to hit high BPM spaced 1/2 notes.
deletemyaccount
Why not zoidberg?

Ok, in all seriousness it really is a thing of personal preference. They both have their own advantages and disadvantages(which I am sure you know of).
Just because other people singletap, does not mean it will be the best for you(It is probably better in the long run however).

You'll have to end up alternating for streams and triples anyway so practicing both isn't necessarily a bad idea.
tfg50
I went through the same path as you alternating>single tapping, but my reason was kinda different. My stamina was really bad (50k rank worthy while being 10k, not that it is any good now) and I tried changing to single tapping. It took something like 1 week for me to not go back to alternating on random parts of the map like when i first started tapping and 2 weeks to be able to keep up with 180 bpm slow maps. Now my finger hurts from playing so many dts UNDER 220 BPM. I know, I'm slow as fuck. But at least I can kinda stream 200 bpm properly.

IMO saying that single tapping is better for acc is bs, it depends only on your concentration/reading skills. Even saying that, I do agree that the majority of the patterns are easier to read while single tapping. In the end it's just preference.
Mathsma
It's preference. Metro is an alternator who says single tapping is better, but Azer is an alternator who says alternating is just as good, who is right? Just pick what feels natural, but don't limit yourself to just one. If you want to single tap, learn to alternate a bit too, it helps with finger control. If you want to alternate, make sure you play songs that strain you in order to build stamina and speed.
usa
I too was confused.
Then lord SiLviA showed all mouse/kb users the way.
Now you must pay tribute to him by playing full alternate if you use a mouse and kb.
(At your skill level, you're going to have to learn how to do both anyways so just do what's comfortable)
[ Stellar ]
Once you choose a play style, it's kind of hard to be flexible with new ones.
I was and still am a single-tapper, but started to practice alternating because of streams a while back.
But you're fortunate, since people who start out alternating usually perform well on streams - which is probably the main reason why people say they suck at this game.

Practice single-tapping single notes and learn to transition from single to alternate habitually.
piruchan
I've read somewhere on the forums that it is harder to be good at alternating but it's better in the long run. Maybe that's what causing you not having better results alternating.

In the end, keep practicing whatever is comfortable for you.
Topic Starter
MewRage
Thank you all for the help, I've read every response so far and I want to mention a few things; for me when I singletap, I can switch to alternating for streams or triples or even doubles if the song is fast enough or if I'm getting mixed in that fast paced part. And what I got from these responses is that I should just play both and learn them well so I can switch and do what I prefer at any time because at high skill level it doesn't matter what style you play as long as you can play it well. So I'm going to continue my adventure to becoming a #mlgpro420blazeit player by honing my skills in both styles.
Blueprint
I pretty much use both my self, I alternate stuff I can't single
Mofu kun
I really wouldn't know what to answer here, (as I have a disability) I singletap only, but doubletap seems to be a useful skill to practice, as it will help with streaming later on.