forum

Blue switch or Red switch?(Mechanical keyboard)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Heal
I'm currently using blue switch, and tempted to buy a red switch keyboard like corsair to try it out.

but the price is kinda.. well not something you can just throw away for no reason, so i'm wondering if it's worth the money or not.
usa
1. preference
2. waste of money

response times will be the same, actuation force difference between reds and blues isn't huge and won't affect too much
basically comes down to do you love linear>>>>>>>>>clicky clackly tactile feedback
Noobsicle
for a more budget friendly keyboard (still expensive though), go for the quickfire tk with reds
or you could buy a mechanical numpad for around $60

if you can, head over to some local pc stores and try out cherry red keyboards for yourself
Vuelo Eluko
black switches
Karuta-_old_1
seems like your question have nothing to do with your topic but nevermind

since red switches are sufficiently quiet, you could use it when blue is not a viable option (for example at night when you don't want your neighbours to know that you own a blue switch keyboard)

Blue switch gives you more of a feel to type while red switch gives you less feedback (no tactile, no click) but the thing is that it responds just as fast and it requires less force.

The biggest difference between the two is probably the stamina you need and the clickyness.

If you are comfortable with blue switches just stick to it. Buying another switch would be like a waste of money unless you have a sibling or anyone who likes them.
jesse1412

usa wrote:

1. preference
2. waste of money

response times will be the same, actuation force difference between reds and blues isn't huge and won't affect too much
basically comes down to do you love linear>>>>>>>>>clicky clackly tactile feedback
Get black switches and search the forums, there are at least 25 threads about this.

Sources: I had a red switch kb and a black switch kb and black makes me happy.
Soarezi

jesus1412 wrote:

usa wrote:

1. preference
2. waste of money

Get black switches and search the forums, there are at least 25 threads about this.

Sources: I had a red switch kb and a black switch kb and black makes me happy.
How happy on a scale from 3-6?
ksg
buckling springs
hinamizawan
topre if you're rich, if not, red switches.
iderekmc

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

black switches
too stronk
B1rd
you need red to be cookiezi
Vuelo Eluko

B1rd wrote:

you need red to be cookiezi
ye tru
Kaitou Kid

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

black switches
Blacks FTW!
encryptik
Blacks > Reds
Browns > Blues
Greens = Bad

This is my experience after trying them all, the linear switches are generally faster on the singletap for me.
Dexus
There are some good players with blue switches, but that number has been dwindling since everyone either converts to red switches (thank based lewa) or quits.

From personal experience I couldn't stand the click because it was a two step actuation process that got rather annoying. You first have to get past the click and then get to the actuation point, then you have to deal with it on the way back up. Browns have the same problem but it's not as bad, I could actually stand using them.

Reds are lighter therefore you can move the fastest with the least resistance (problem is it can lead to mashing)
blacks can really give you a solid jolt as to how fast (or slow) you actually are and from what lewa explained they can carry your fingers back up faster so you only really have to think about pressing down. Pianist use heavier keys to practice playing correctly as it's more difficult to press down so you have to deliberately think about it more as to how and when you're pressing it.

Try and sell your blue switches if you can (pawn it off onto a friend or something) and go for blacks, they're good for beginner players.

(mm... more talk of topre, I'm really interested in trying them.)
Noobsicle

encryptik wrote:

Greens = Bad
kudos to whoever can play with these lol
DeletedUser_3905941

Dexus wrote:

There are some good players with blue switches, but that number has been dwindling since everyone either converts to red switches
rrtyui only changed because his blackwidow keys kept breaking.
But oh no nevermind, he has switched to reds. What does this mean? It obviously means reds are superior.
His previous plays on maps such as big black done with blues don't even fucking matter anymore, he uses reds now.

EDIT: Now to answer, go with anything, get a sample kit of switches and test them. Mines blacks.
Mathsma
Switches are all preference. HappyStick is fast and he uses reds, Jesse is even faster and he uses blacks, rrtyui is even faster (maybe) and uses blues, staiain is even faster and uses browns. The only real downside I've heard about tactile switches is that they break easier because of the tactile function, but I do not if that is true or not.
iderekmc
there are good players with all types of switches but all the top players use red for a reason
Vuelo Eluko

Mathsma wrote:

Switches are all preference. HappyStick is fast and he uses reds, Jesse is even faster and he uses blacks, rrtyui is even faster (maybe) and uses blues, staiain is even faster and uses browns. The only real downside I've heard about tactile switches is that they break easier because of the tactile function, but I do not if that is true or not.
best reply thus far

also rubber dome is swag

Noobsicle wrote:

encryptik wrote:

Greens = Bad
kudos to whoever can play with these lol
do you even lift?
jesse1412

iderekmc wrote:

there are good players with all types of switches but all the top players use red for a reason
Because you're a sheep.
Noobsicle

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

do you even lift?
u must b crazy to tink of playing wit heavier tactile blacks yo

i wouldn't pay $80 extra just for green switches either

jesus1412 wrote:

iderekmc wrote:

Because you're a sheep.
Blueprint
Buy a rubber dome
Scarhand
Blacks and reds are great. I liked blues for accuracy but adapting to reds wasn't too hard. I guess teaching piano has influenced my decision; the strength of black keys feels really great.
Myke B
Not sure if anyone said this, but just go to a local hardware store and try it out buddy. I switched from blue to red a long time ago, and I only noticed a small difference for me. I liked the difference, but was it worth $130? I'm not sure.
TakuMii
Why not consider Browns? They're considered to be a nice intermediate between Blues and Reds, and I personally find them better to type with than the linear switches.

makkura wrote:

topre if you're rich, if not, red switches.
The upcoming CM Storm Novatouch TKL keyboard (45g Topre) will only be $150, so that's not that expensive of an option.
Vuelo Eluko
150$ sure as hell is expensive for a keyboard.
but expensive is subjective
im poor
tsundoll
Go to a computer store and try one for yourself. Some people hate red switches, I began to like them after 3 weeks of play and wouldn't go back.

Also, whoever mentioned buckling springs, I actually did use a Model M for a while. Problem is, the keys don't come up fast enough for really fast play.
Volcanism
I've tried both reds and blues, and honestly, I can't really say I favoured one over the other. I'm currently using reds just because blues aren't that great when you don't want to wake someone up at night...
Karuta-_old_1

Volcanism wrote:

I've tried both reds and blues, and honestly, I can't really say I favoured one over the other. I'm currently using reds just because blues aren't that great when you don't want to wake someone up at night...
exactly, imagine all the clicking noises if it's obvious when you are playing a rhythm game...But not all blue switches are as noisy though but I'd still prefer reds because I am very deliberate with my keys but don't enjoy heavy keystrokes.
winber1
razer death adder
TakuMii

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

150$ sure as hell is expensive for a keyboard.
but expensive is subjective
im poor
No, what I mean is, last I checked, Topre keyboards went upwards of $200-400. $150 isn't bad in comparison.
and my first MX Brown keyboard was $150 x.x
P r o m i s e s
Personal preference. Although you would find it a 'tad' bit easier to stream with red switches.
Vuelo Eluko

P r o m i s e s wrote:

Personal preference. Although you would find it a 'tad' bit easier to stream with red switches.
not necessarily. that still comes down to preference. more actuation force can actually make it easier to hold tempo streaming
show more