forum

light pen vs heavy

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iderekmc
i was uSIng the pen from a wacom touch and my nib broke so i found a pen from the bamboo from last year and i noticed it is muuch lighter.
What is better a light pen or a heavy one?
[ Stellar ]
Lighter = move fast
Heavier = more stability

but in time, lighter > heavier
Vuelo Eluko
i dont think that's necessarily true i mean, with practice you could get just as stable with a light pen as a heavy one, but doesn't the same apply for being fast with a heavy one?

I think, like anything that it is probably preference. The closest thing i've done to using a tablet is spinning a pen but it was opposite there. it was best to start out light then get heavier.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong but it seems like it would work both ways. unless heavy, in tablet terms, is so heavy that your hand isnt capable of building the strength to move it as fast as the fastest maps.
[ Stellar ]
I actually am good with both light and heavy pens, as I have both the pen with battery and standard wacom pen.
The lighter pen really is better because of its size and weight, whereas the bigger and heavier pen needs a tight grip.

Yes, everything depends on preference when using either, but starting out with a lighter pen can be more beneficial because you can learn how to be linear with your movements.
Kyno

[ Stellar ] wrote:

Lighter = move fast
Heavier = more stability
Got to agree there, but for me I have both a light and a heavy pen for different maps.
Like, if the map has A LOT of jumps and streams I'll use the lighter pen and if its like a some what slow map, I'll use the heavier pen.

Really on preference though.
Watasashi
I used to play with 2 pen grips and the pen felt pretty heavy but i got used to it quite fast, however i took them of recently and
i feel like my accuracy got quite better. So im gonna go with light pen FTW
Dexus
There is no difference because there isn't very much variety in the weight of tablet pens. The supposed "heavy" huion battery operated pen feels no different to me from the "lite" intuos pen. I guess it may make a difference if you're not used to moving much and use a micro area, but full tablet not really.
Mizuno Yui
I have a "heavy" pen (Huion), and it feels incredibly light after switching from mouse (Deathadder).
B1rd
More mass=more inertia you have to combat. actually i hav no idea about sciency stuff~
ElykColdster
Taken from a lecture slide:

For a high accuracy game like osu! you will want to minimize the load on your finger to reduce the time spent traveling to the next circle.
Vuelo Eluko

ElykColdster wrote:

Taken from a lecture slide:

For a high accuracy game like osu! you will want to minimize the load on your finger to reduce the time spent traveling to the next circle.
they knew
WolfCoder
Unless the pen has a lead or tungsten core, I'm not going to notice if its light or heavy. I wonder if the 1954 study considered a threshold for how heavy a pen needs to be for it to effect performance? It's like being incapable of telling the weight difference between three sheets of paper and five, but you'd notice if you had to carry an entire block of it.
DeletedUser_4041880
Any heavy pen lovers? D:
ElykColdster

WolfCoder wrote:

Unless the pen has a lead or tungsten core, I'm not going to notice if its light or heavy. I wonder if the 1954 study considered a threshold for how heavy a pen needs to be for it to effect performance? It's like being incapable of telling the weight difference between three sheets of paper and five, but you'd notice if you had to carry an entire block of it.
I think we're talking about a pen that the user feels is significantly heavier than the lighter one.
Vuelo Eluko

ElykColdster wrote:

WolfCoder wrote:

I think we're talking about a pen that the user feels is significantly heavier than the lighter one.
well what hes saying, i think, is that this assumes it's heavy to the point where you can't just handle it until it feels light because "limits of human motor system". when I spun a pen, light and heavy were still relatively close in weight just like tablet pens, and you could spin a heavy pen until it felt like a light one. Although, if i was using a metal rod that would never happen and i would be eternally gimped.

I'm not sure that study applies here.

and i understand that aiming on osu requires very precise, practiced, and demanding movements, pen spinning i dare say took even more [i practiced for 3 years and was still just "intermediate" level]