forum

[Proposal - osu!taiko] Ease the continuous mapping allowed on Muzukashii

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
realy0_
It's been a while since community/forums/topics/1797746?n=1 huh

At least 1 rest moment that is 3/2 or longer should be inserted after 16/1 to 20/1 of continuous mapping. Using at least 3 2 consecutive rest moments that are 1/1 is an acceptable substitute if either the pace of the music makes rest moments counter-intuitive or if the continuously mapped part is overall more forgiving to the player.

This proposal aims to ease the break guideline applied on muzukashii with those main arguments :

1. Reducing difficulty bridge between muzukashiis and onis.
  2. Allow more room of interpretation for better mapping variety & song representation.
  3. A better expectation of how the latter part of the guideline is applied, emphasising the notion of "note density".
  4. Some edge-case nonsense that the current guideline does technically break, but not under futsuu's rest moment guideline.

Currently, I think this guideline's main intentions are not followed at all, especially for the latter part. For example, the current usage of 3 x 1/1 are used interchangeably instead of substituting, questioning the utility of the latter part that is never considered in practice.

When you try to break the guideline by having a lower "note density" (by having sections mostly mapped as 1/1 with occasional 1/2, like a futsuu) but longer continuous mapping, in practice, this guideline is blindly applied as a rule that does not care about the "counter-intuitive" part of the song at all. Song representation should be always favoured over this guideline which can make the map less intuitive and degrade map quality.

For the difficulties like kantan and futsuu, their note density was low enough to not care at all about using way fewer restrictions on the continuous mapping. In muzukashii and oni difficulties, it does matter a lot more, and should be taken more into account in consequence (while it can be difficult to write what "note density" could mean objectively, it should be up to the modder's discretion to consider what's acceptable).

Now, bringing some cases that should/shouldn't be allowed in my opinion (at 180bpm):
  1. muzukashii with lot of 1/2 and 1/4 with occasional 1/1 -> use 3/2 breaks every 16/1 to 20/1 (use 2/1 breaks at this point)
  2. muzukashii with some 8/1 parts that are mapped like a futsuu -> use many 2 x 1/1 breaks as a substitute every 16/1 to 20/1. Longer continuous mapping up to 28/1 can be applied if using 3/2 breaks.
  3. muzukashii that are mapped like a futsuu/low bpm -> use singular 2 x 1/1 breaks every 16/1 to 20/1
Hivie
sorry gotta disagree on this one.

from my experience in mapping and modding muzus, 2x1/1 simply does not feel like enough of a "break", but rather a part of the regular rhythm, and 3x1/1 already works well enough as-is.

additionally, nerfing to 2x1/1 would contradict your main concern (that's posted below) even harder, by further reducing the impact of the substitute break.

realy0_ wrote:

Currently, I think this guideline's main intentions are not followed at all, especially for the latter part. For example, the current usage of 3 x 1/1 are used interchangeably instead of substituting, questioning the utility of the latter part that is never considered in practice.
Yasuho
I am siding with Hivie on this one. Simply put, you want to reduce difficulty gap between Muzu and Oni, but at the same time, this proposal creates a wider difficulty gap between Futsuu and Muzu, as Muzu is introducing 1/4 rhythms and therefore would need a stricter way to add rest moments. As Hivie already stated, 2x 1/1 usually is already part of the regular rhythms in a Muzu, so having an additional 1/1, you actually create a proper rest moment instead of basic rhythms, which I also see fit as-is. As a pretty consistent Muzu player myself, I just don't think that 2x 1/1 is enough of a rest, so I disagree with this proposal.