forum

Getting overwhelmed suddenly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cass loves osu
I'm having fun while also being a bit upset about improvement, I play constantly every single day (for the past 2 weeks)
replay: https://ordr.issou.best/watch/snhsn6 I would do really well then just randomly get overwhelmed then fall off, what do I exactly do to stop myself from getting overwhelmed? I also fail to FC maps I have fc'd before.

is there any specific maps I can play that can help me with this?
stevennnn
i'd recommend falling back to lower diff maps; your acc in that replay is ~90 which isn't necessarily awful but you should play maps that you can get >95-96% acc consistently before moving onto insane/hyper diffs. it's good to play maps outside of your comfort zone, but you should master rhythm and acc to get a decent feel for the game
Topic Starter
cass loves osu

stevennnn wrote:

i'd recommend falling back to lower diff maps; your acc in that replay is ~90 which isn't necessarily awful but you should play maps that you can get >95-96% acc consistently before moving onto insane/hyper diffs. it's good to play maps outside of your comfort zone, but you should master rhythm and acc to get a decent feel for the game
i managed to fc a few maps and i choked a few fcs but this advice kind of works, only issue is that i get b ranks with 92.56% accuracy after hitting streams perfectly, never had a problem with jumps or aim either, seems like a skill issue i just have i guess
Neun_

ChloeXIV wrote:

stevennnn wrote:

i managed to fc a few maps and i choked a few fcs but this advice kind of works, only issue is that i get b ranks with 92.56% accuracy after hitting streams perfectly, never had a problem with jumps or aim either, seems like a skill issue i just have i guess
I think stevennnn already gave a really good advice, so I am just going to talk about the reason of feeling overwhelmed.

Most of the time it was due to playing a map you aren't comfortable at. (For example, objects appeared too fast or too slow, complex patterns etc.) As the map goes on, stuff like these make your reaction lags behind, which end up making you trying to readjust, leaving a short period which you completely stopped thinking. (Things like a sudden stop in moving your cursor, forgot to tap and more.)

And this is why playing low diffs or maps inside your comfort zone is necessary. For one you could comprehend what is happening, so you will be less stressful while playing the map.
Second of all, you can see your improvements much easier. It is harder for you to know that you are improving when you are just missing everything. But things are different when you play maps you are comfortable, as misses are rarer to be seen, you would know what you lack of and sees that you improved when you don't miss at that one specific timing anymore.

TL;DR: You are overwhelmed because you lack the required skills to play that map. (Reading, aim, finger control etc.)
If you are uncertain of what makes you overwhelmed, this is where lower diff maps come into play!

Would like to continue but I am too lazy to type ><
Topic Starter
cass loves osu

Neun_ wrote:

ChloeXIV wrote:

stevennnn wrote:

I think stevennnn already gave a really good advice, so I am just going to talk about the reason of feeling overwhelmed.

Most of the time it was due to playing a map you aren't comfortable at. (For example, objects appeared too fast or too slow, complex patterns etc.) As the map goes on, stuff like these make your reaction lags behind, which end up making you trying to readjust, leaving a short period which you completely stopped thinking. (Things like a sudden stop in moving your cursor, forgot to tap and more.)

And this is why playing low diffs or maps inside your comfort zone is necessary. For one you could comprehend what is happening, so you will be less stressful while playing the map.
Second of all, you can see your improvements much easier. It is harder for you to know that you are improving when you are just missing everything. But things are different when you play maps you are comfortable, as misses are rarer to be seen, you would know what you lack of and sees that you improved when you don't miss at that one specific timing anymore.

TL;DR: You are overwhelmed because you lack the required skills to play that map. (Reading, aim, finger control etc.)
If you are uncertain of what makes you overwhelmed, this is where lower diff maps come into play!

this kinda helps but then suddenly my accuracy goes from super high to low
it feels like im getting worse at this but im starting to just become focused on mania, don't know what to do mostly on normal osu as i'll just keep getting the same accuracy no matter how hard i try and focus, if i do improve it's usually going up by 3% accuracy, but ill keep playing consistently, lost a lot of motivation the past few days

edit: i am tending to fc things but not with very nice accuracy..
Neun_

ChloeXIV wrote:

Neun_ wrote:

ChloeXIV wrote:

stevennnn wrote:

this kinda helps but then suddenly my accuracy goes from super high to low
it feels like im getting worse at this but im starting to just become focused on mania, don't know what to do mostly on normal osu as i'll just keep getting the same accuracy no matter how hard i try and focus, if i do improve it's usually going up by 3% accuracy, but ill keep playing consistently, lost a lot of motivation the past few days

edit: i am tending to fc things but not with very nice accuracy..
Yeah... It definitely takes lot of motivation to improve. Thing is, you can't really see significant improvement within a day, or even a week. It could take months for you to notice it. It's indeed tough...
That's why I sometimes told my friend playing osu is like making investments. You invest time in it and hope that you see improvement soon or later. Patience might not always bring a positive result.
Calling osu an investment is a little bit extreme tho. In the end, osu is a game, and games are meant to be fun. I had fun by playing songs that i liked, and i really hope that you could also find a way to have fun while play osu too!
But if osu really makes you stressing. Quit osu for a while, take some rest, and maybe come back later on, I will be there waiting for you if you do so!

Bless you!
Lucia Nanami
Don't play every day. as simple and as dumb as it may seem getting proper amount of sleep and rest days can help you improve. If you have a decent setup just keep up at it, at your level focus working on fundamentals with easier maps and you're good to go, it will pay in the long run and trust me, you will be able to play the stuff you find cool eventually.
Topic Starter
cass loves osu

Lucia Nanami wrote:

Don't play every day. as simple and as dumb as it may seem getting proper amount of sleep and rest days can help you improve. If you have a decent setup just keep up at it, at your level focus working on fundamentals with easier maps and you're good to go, it will pay in the long run and trust me, you will be able to play the stuff you find cool eventually.
i am addicted, i can't stop playing, even if im not improving