forum

Emulator/DS differences [Resolved in b86] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Asho_old
At first, the list was gonna be longer, but a lot of things have already been pointed out, so here's what I haven't seen mentioned yet:

-The lowest rank is D, not C. Unfortunately, I (or seemingly anybody else) don't know what's the condition. I do know that it's based on the percentage of 300s (like everybody else knows).
-When it comes to Phrases with irregular dots, a return arrow does not relocate them. To make things simple:

-When the meter fills up at the beginning, the slider says "気"/"Yes" all the time.
-Kiai/Beat Bonuses are awarded at the end of a same-colored string as long as there weren't any 50s or Xs in it. All 300 gives "激"/"Elite Beat!!". 300s/100s gives "喝"/"Beat!". The only thing they do is refill the meter more than normal, which is essential in later stages.
-Roll/Spin Markers don't produce regular score icons, but they do produce bonuses. So, nothing should pop up if a spinner is a 50.
-A little message pops up when a spinner is hit, even when it's a 50. It's "押忍!!"/"GO!" in Ouendan and "Oh Yeah!"in EBA.
-Related to the above: spinners can be appended to the end of a string (like with JJF's third section). In fact according to RSG Lighthearted, they can be in the middle of one. But that hasn't been done again since.
-The combo counter is invisible if the combo is 0.
-When a combo breaks, the counter quickly counts down, and shows 0 just before disappearing. This animation is canceled if a new combo is started.
-Notes about Phrase Markers:

-Dot density is adjusted depending on difficulty so that the same beat is preserved for all charts in a song. In other words, when you implement difficulties, please allow slider velocity to be different between them.
-This is more of a tip for chart makers: Songs in the games don't last past 3 minutes, except for maybe a couple seconds (counting only the song itself, not the stage). Sad songs and finale songs are allowed to break this rule.
-Some songs have a lot of dots bunched together in Phrases. I'm guessing you can reproduce the same by adjusting a very high BPM.

Well, that's everything I can recall from the top of my head.
peppy
Wow - what a long list! There are a lot of things you are correct on, and also a few which you have missed which *are* actually the same in osu!

Asho wrote:

The lowest rank is D, not C. Unfortunately, I (or seemingly anybody else) don't know what's the condition. I do know that it's based on the percentage of 300s (like everybody else knows).
Yup - I guess this needs to be added with some arbitrary condition.

Asho wrote:

When it comes to Phrases with irregular dots, a return arrow does not relocate them. To make things simple:
Thanks for this - I'll look at changing it.

Asho wrote:

When the meter fills up at the beginning, the slider says "気"/"Yes" all the time.
Will change.

Asho wrote:

Kiai/Beat Bonuses are awarded at the end of a same-colored string as long as there weren't any 50s or Xs in it. All 300 gives "激"/"Elite Beat!!". 300s/100s gives "喝"/"Beat!". The only thing they do is refill the meter more than normal, which is essential in later stages.
Great - I was wondering about these! The way I calculate them is a bit different (based on percentages), so this will help a lot.

Asho wrote:

Roll/Spin Markers don't produce regular score icons, but they do produce bonuses. So, nothing should pop up if a spinner is a 50.
Hmm OK. Do these bonuses still have the "100" or "300" text? (Edit: checked some videos - they do :). Oh and zzt answered my question.. missed that)

I'm surprised - I took a guess at the 300/100/50 division for sliders, and said 100% ticks for 300, 75% for 100 and >0% for 50. I was very close! Fixed this one.

Asho wrote:

A little message pops up when a spinner is hit, even when it's a 50. It's "押忍!!"/"GO!" in Ouendan and "Oh Yeah!"in EBA.
Can you tell me when it is OSU!! and when it is "GO!"?

Asho wrote:

Related to the above: spinners can be appended to the end of a string (like with JJF's third section). In fact according to RSG Lighthearted, they can be in the middle of one. But that hasn't been done again since.
Not sure if this is a necessary addition - its easy enough to do, but whether people will use it correctly is another question.

Asho wrote:

The combo counter is invisible if the combo is 0.
Will fix.

Asho wrote:

When a combo breaks, the counter quickly counts down, and shows 0 just before disappearing. This animation is canceled if a new combo is started.
Currently counts down, but animation is not cancelled. Will change this.

The image above about all dots/ticks on a phrase/slider resulting in 300 -- do both the start and end circles count as "dots"? At the moment I have both of them included in the calculation, but not sure if this is correct.

Asho wrote:

Dot density is adjusted depending on difficulty so that the same beat is preserved for all charts in a song. In other words, when you implement difficulties, please allow slider velocity to be different between them.
This is already possible. Did you see the "slider velocity" setting in the editor?

Asho wrote:

This is more of a tip for chart makers: Songs in the games don't last past 3 minutes, except for maybe a couple seconds (counting only the song itself, not the stage). Sad songs and finale songs are allowed to break this rule.
I think people can follow/break this rule as they wish.

Asho wrote:

Some songs have a lot of dots bunched together in Phrases. I'm guessing you can reproduce the same by adjusting a very high BPM.
This can be adjusted with the "SliderTickRate" in the osu file format. It will be available in the editor in the very near future. Setting this higher (2 or 4) will double/quadruple the number of ticks; setting to 0.5 will halve.

Thanks once again for the great feedback. I have said before that I do not want to make an exact replica of Ouendan - giving osu! its own feel in a way. But I believe every point you have addressed should be fixed/added to osu!.

Does anyone else have feedback on these changes?
Kylecito

peppy wrote:

Hmm OK. Do these bonuses still have the "100" or "300" text?

Does anyone else have feedback on these changes?

they don't have scoring text i think.
feedback? it'd be great to add these to the game : )
guess ouendan was made that way after a LOT of testing ;P

also... in sliders, when the starting circle is hit, the number fades out, and the circle stays blank until the end is reached, where it fades out (contrary to the ending circle, which never fades, and instead is replaced by the 300 score thing)

on looping sliders, as each arrow is hit, it fades out and stays blank, changing the arrow to the other end, and they finish just like normal sliders
peppy

Kylecito wrote:

also... in sliders, when the starting circle is hit, the number fades out, and the circle stays blank until the end is reached, where it fades out (contrary to the ending circle, which never fades, and instead is replaced by the 300 score thing)

on looping sliders, as each arrow is hit, it fades out and stays blank, changing the arrow to the other end, and they finish just like normal sliders
How is this different to how it works at the moment?
Kylecito
lol shit, was sure i had seen something wrong with the sliders... checked it out now and meh, i'm retarded.
disregard my post x)

JUST TO SAVE FACE i could say... "gradually appearing sliders plz" but i think you already working on that one ^^ (which would be useful as hell for making long sliders without filling the screen with the remains of the last one :x)
ZZT the Fifth

peppy wrote:

Hmm OK. Do these bonuses still have the "100" or "300" text?
Yes! They do still have the 100 or 300! Trust me.

peppy wrote:

The image above about all dots/ticks on a phrase/slider resulting in 300 -- do both the start and end circles count as "dots"? At the moment I have both of them included in the calculation, but not sure if this is correct.
Yup. Rebound circles count as dots too.
peppy

Kylecito wrote:

"gradually appearing sliders plz" but i think you already working on that one ^^
As you can imagine (ok, maybe not) this isn't the easiest thing to do, and requires quite a few changes to the current code. With the help of my maths expert friend, I have got a proof-of-concept of this working, but have not had time to implement in-game yet. This is only the (rapidly growing) list though :)
tensheapz
The slider descriptions in "notes about phrase markers" about the 100 for getting > 50%, etc are quite a big change to the current implementation in Osu!. Currently if you miss just one of the dots, you break your combo. I also believe sliders have a big potential to make you fail as missing a bunch of small ones can lead to death very easily.

Most of the time its usually missing one dot in a slider that breaks my combo, so I think making this "Fix" would be quite nice. I have a feeling that the DS's system may be somewhat lenient, given that its easier to hold the mouse button down than to keep the stylus always pressing on the DS whilst moving it(I think?)
peppy

tensheapz wrote:

The slider descriptions in "notes about phrase markers" about the 100 for getting > 50%, etc are quite a big change to the current implementation in Osu!. Currently if you miss just one of the dots, you break your combo. I also believe sliders have a big potential to make you fail as missing a bunch of small ones can lead to death very easily.

Most of the time its usually missing one dot in a slider that breaks my combo, so I think making this "Fix" would be quite nice. I have a feeling that the DS's system may be somewhat lenient, given that its easier to hold the mouse button down than to keep the stylus always pressing on the DS whilst moving it(I think?)
Sliders still break combos by missing 1 dot. It is just the calculation for the end score which is changed (from 75% to 50% for 100s - the rest is the same). Poor tensheapz.
Topic Starter
Asho_old

peppy wrote:

Can you tell me when it is OSU!! and when it is "GO!"?
When do you hear "GO!" instead of "OSU!"? ;)

peppy wrote:

Not sure if this is a necessary addition - its easy enough to do, but whether people will use it correctly is another question.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

peppy wrote:

This is already possible. Did you see the "slider velocity" setting in the editor?
What I meant is that when yo do include difficulty settings, different speed for different charts of the same song should be allowed. Then again, it's probably already on your list.

peppy wrote:

I think people can follow/break this rule as they wish.
But isn't it nice to have some sort of guide? :P

peppy wrote:

This can be adjusted with the "SliderTickRate" in the osu file format. It will be available in the editor in the very near future. Setting this higher (2 or 4) will double/quadruple the number of ticks; setting to 0.5 will halve.
Gah, missed that. Speed reading FTL.

A couple more notes on animations, just in case it's of interest to anybody:
-The looping animation in the top screen during gameplay changes depending on whether you get an Intense/Elite Beat, Shout/Beat or no bonus in a string.
-When you "get" the dots on a Phrase Marker, a tiny 10 appears above/below it (depending on the direction the ball is going), and the same for ends, where it's a 30. It's so small, it's the exact same graphic in all three games.

Hey, peppy, could it be possible in the future to add anchor points to a set slider? Sometimes I feel like setting the start and end points, and then bend it.
peppy

Asho wrote:

When do you hear "GO!" instead of "OSU!"? ;)
You had to answer a question with a question didn't you :(. I don't really have time to check this so it'd be great if you could spill the beans!

Asho wrote:

What I meant is that when yo do include difficulty settings, different speed for different charts of the same song should be allowed. Then again, it's probably already on your list.
Well, the slider velocity setting is independent for each difficulty... so the beatmap author can change it as they wish.. am I missing something here? o.O

Asho wrote:

But isn't it nice to have some sort of guide? :P
True.

Asho wrote:

Hey, peppy, could it be possible in the future to add anchor points to a set slider? Sometimes I feel like setting the start and end points, and then bend it.
This is on the list :). It'll be something like "ctrl-click anywhere on a slider to add a new point".
Extor
The "Go!" appears when you are using the cheerleaders. And the "Osu!" appears when you use all the others. This also changes the "3,2,1 GO!" before the start of the song.