forum

Freestyle for osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
CookiesandNeo
This may have been suggested before (Superthecat, 17 days ago at the time of this post), but I would deeply enjoy a "fun" mod to osu!mania where you would freestyle to the song using the beatmap's hitsounds.

There are some break times in some songs where I would just tap along to the song (for the duration of the break), and I would love to see where I could do it for the whole song.

What do you guys think?
clayton
if you use the map's hitsounds for this I think you'll run into a few issues. one is that many mania maps just aren't hitsounded, so every key would be hitnormal and the mod wouldn't be very interesting. another is that in maps with good hitsounding, there wouldn't be a good way to tell in advance which column corresponds to which instruments at which times, so I think it would be really difficult to freestyle without being surprised by unexpected sample changes

maybe what could be done instead is map each type of hitsound to a certain key, regardless of how they were used in the actual map? like you'd still play the maps' samples but not where they actually were used

sounds fun but i just dont see a simple practical way this could work well. this might work better in taiko...
Topic Starter
CookiesandNeo

clayton wrote:

if you use the map's hitsounds for this I think you'll run into a few issues. one is that many mania maps just aren't hitsounded, so every key would be hitnormal and the mod wouldn't be very interesting. another is that in maps with good hitsounding, there wouldn't be a good way to tell in advance which column corresponds to which instruments at which times, so I think it would be really difficult to freestyle without being surprised by unexpected sample changes

maybe what could be done instead is map each type of hitsound to a certain key, regardless of how they were used in the actual map? like you'd still play the maps' samples but not where they actually were used

sounds fun but i just dont see a simple practical way this could work well. this might work better in taiko...
Perhaps when there is a change to a key's hitsound, it will hit the respective keys as if it was a note to play. Then the player knows that the sound has changed...

Or perhaps it can be under the mod's settings; whether to use the map's full set of hitsounds, the most common hitsounds, or a pre-determined layout of the player's choice.