forum

How many languages do you speak?

posted
Total Posts
show more
olivia272

Kheldragar wrote:

I kind of wonder what the definition of "can speak" is since we have so many apparently polyglots here.
I have pondered it too. My definition of "can speak" is being capable of having a sound, versatile conversation. Colloquial, so to speak.
Uttering broken phrases, a couple words and greetings does absolutely not count as a language that you "can speak".
-Makishima S-
English, Polish and a bit Japanese
-SayaKai
english and filipino xD
Yuudachi-kun

olivia272 wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I kind of wonder what the definition of "can speak" is since we have so many apparently polyglots here.
I have pondered it too. My definition of "can speak" is being capable of having a sound, versatile conversation. Colloquial, so to speak.
Uttering broken phrases, a couple words and greetings does absolutely not count as a language that you "can speak".
A year and a half ago I could have said two. Now it's probably one and a forth.
AbsurdDive
English and spanish (once i get a fricking job again i'll add japanese to the list..i'm really determined..but i don't have the cash) hahaha
Kouya-
English, noob at Spanish, very few phrases from Japanese, German, and Khmer .
Aomi
Serbian, English and a little Japanese.
(Someone teach me Korean please ;w; )
Aurani

Kheldragar wrote:

You see, apparently people's brains are so bloody dead that they immediately assume that "speaking" means "count each and every language you know even one phrase in".
For me, "speaking" a language means being both fluent in it and being able to lead at LEAST a semi-intellectual conversation with a native speaker. So, according to that definition, 95% of people who posted here would not know more than just one language. Heck, most of the people here are struggling even with English, let alone any other language.
bigfeh
Portuguese (obviously) and English (obviously)

But do Swift and C++ count?
FuZ
French, English
ZenoDiac
I can speak Afrikaans, English, a bit of Bullshit, Moonspeak and some Xhosa. I tried German, French and Russian once,
but I failed spectacularly.
Eymi
French, English and Spanish :3
Chaosemerald
Danish and English. I'm also learning German :3
xch00F
english klingon al bhed and esperanto
Intelli
I speak English fluently and I'm learning Italian. Planning on learning German and maybe Spanish/an Asian language.
ayygurl
english and french, and a little bit german
Creyz
German English Lithuanian Latvian fluently and a bit polish :)
EneT
English and a little bit of German, Spanish and tagalog
nekojanaiyo
r1kku love Aoi
Main Japanese(usual)
Sub English,German
German is very difficult;;
Cylencer
English, Mandarin Chinese and a little bit of Japanese

>Interested in learning Thai, Cantonese, Russian, Spanish
niowph
Portuguese, an bad English and really bad Spanish that I plan to improve next year.
It is also in my plans learn Japanese and Korean.
nanoooooooooo
Spanish and English :D
Nyansuke_old
I speak English, Spanish, Khmer, Japanese, and Chinese :3
SpringVine
Russian,Hebrew and English
Keihyan
My flag shows Im german but I cant speak german well, Japanese is my native language and I can speak English too.and I can reand chinese as well ~~~
-Maus-
Polish, English, Latin (a bit), French
Shiyzo
Croatian and English.
Wanna learn Japanese though ; - ;
-Annie
German, english and a bit swedish
SaigonAlice
English and Vietnamese (to an extent). I used to learn Mandarin.

Nyansuke wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of languages.
Yuudachi-kun

SaigonAlice wrote:

English and Vietnamese (to an extent). I used to learn Mandarin.

Nyansuke wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of languages.

By speak, he means knows a few phrases in.
SaigonAlice

Kheldragar wrote:

By speak, he means knows a few phrases in.
I-I knew that...
Fateburn
First language is Chinese
Able to speak English, knows a tiny bit of German, and trying to create a new language.
planning to learn japanese and russian
Sousaki
German , English, Vietnamese and French
Ochinchi-sama
67. Cant name them all. It's only natural for a man who has over 40,000 wives and come from 30 different countries
Nuolong
English.. I'm Chinese, but I'm still learning the language.
I've also learnt Italian and Spanish. I only know a teeny tiny bit 8-)
Raito-
Polish (obviously) and German - fluent. A bit English and Italian. And I have plans to start learning Finnish.
Dequilla
Swedish is my primary, english my secondary best, i know the basics of spanish, a tiny bit of poliush(but its too complicated for me LOL) and some of my neighbour countries, except for finnish, there i know how to count to three at best and maybe a few words of german but not so i can speak it.
Hikona
[b]I speak French
And I try to speak English but I insane :/[/b
]
Axiaan
My native langage is french, so french. o/
I'm good in english but I don't speak english fluently, I speak a little german and some words in japanese.
I want to be bilingual (not necessary in english) so I work hard to understand words from other langages. :3
show more