forum

Challenge Poll: A Question on map Inclusion in Themes

posted
Total Posts

When sorting maps/sets to use for my challenges, how much should certain themes be present to consider adding them to the theme pool?

Use the background image only
25.00%
Only if the Storyboard/video shows them prominently
50.00%
Include them even if they only show up for one scene for barely a second.
25.00%
Total votes: 4
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
As I hope most of you know, I run a monthly challenge series here in the G&R forums. Most of the time I base my challenges each month on a certain theme such as a holiday, season, or some other event. However, I've been waffling of late on just how strict I should be in regards to adding maps to certain theme pools, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask the potential participants what they think.

To elaborate a bit on the choices, here's what they mean:
Background image only: I will only consider any themes if they appear in the BG for the map or the mapset. Anything that might show up in an included storyboard or video will not be considered at all.

SB/Video prominence: The theme in question must show up for long enough or often enough in a SB/video for it to be considered. For instance, if a storyboard for a VN shows a beach/pool scene for maybe two seconds of a minute-plus video and has no other scenes like it, then it wouldn't be considered for any Summer-themed pools. However, if the majority of the VN is about summertime activities such as ice cream, being in a pool or in swimsuits, or in attire normally worn in the Summer months, then it would be included.

Anything that shows up: To use the above example, that two-second shot of some pool/beach scene would put the mapset into the Summer-themed pool despite it not being very prominent in the entire video. so in theory if you had some two-minute slideshow of a variety of images that appear for even one second, all the things they would show would be included.

Before you vote, keep in mind that there are certain themes that I will count so long as they merely show up. For instance, if any weaponry like swords show up at all, even if it's one character who only appears for a second, that will be included in a weapons-themed pool regardless. However, that is currently a very small set of themes that have this privilege.

My current policy is the middle option, that most themes that shows up in a SB/video must be shown with enough frequency or importance to be added in.
I AM VERY SMART
But if we only take into account maps containing a storyboard/video, it would rule out a large number of maps even though they have an appropriate background
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

But if we only take into account maps containing a storyboard/video, it would rule out a large number of maps even though they have an appropriate background
Beatmap backgrounds are always going to be considered by default. The only question is if anything from SBs/vids should also count, and if so by how much. Option 1 would be those BGs and nothing else, so I'm not sure what you're asking here.
I AM VERY SMART

Voidedosu wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Beatmap backgrounds are always going to be considered by default. The only question is if anything from SBs/vids should also count, and if so by how much. Option 1 would be those BGs and nothing else, so I'm not sure what you're asking here.
So option 2 means we count backgrounds and storyboard/video together?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

I AM VERY SMART wrote:

So option 2 means we count backgrounds and storyboard/video together?
Option 2 and 3 do mean that, albeit to different amounts.

2 requires that there be some level of prominence to certain themes, as given in the example. 3 only cares that a theme shows up at all.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
bump.
I AM VERY SMART
Seems like somebody has voted the first option instead
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Woop, almost forgot about this one.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Oops, did it again.
I AM VERY SMART
More votes please!
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Looks like the result is just keeping it as it is right now, which is only to add them if they're prominent for most cases.

That being said, if anyone else notices this and wants to chime in, I'm not gonna say no to that.