forum

How to get started learning HDHR?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EnigmaticG
Hi,

Lately I've gotten more comfortable playing HR and would like to add hidden. I've tried playing really easy maps with HDHR but have very poor accuracy even when I manage to hold combo for awhile and get a low miss count. When I'm playing with just HR, I tend to look towards the middle of the screen (and see the right side with my peripheral vision) unless the sv is low, in which case I look towards the left side.

There are a few things I've considered without much luck so far. First, I've tried adjusting the offset, in case I've mostly been relying on sight for the HR only plays, but this didn't help with the accuracy. I've also tried playing easy onis instead of kantans. While I did improve in terms of miss count (probably because the onis followed the song better and I could rely more on hearing), I was still getting mostly 100's.

Maybe this is just a play more situation, but I'm not sure what maps I should be playing to start learning. Currently, I can fc/low miss count 4 star onis and just barely play 5 star maps either nomod or with HR if the bpm is <=200 and the sv is normal.
_mp1506

EnigmaticG wrote:

Hi,

Lately I've gotten more comfortable playing HR and would like to add hidden. I've tried playing really easy maps with HDHR but have very poor accuracy even when I manage to hold combo for awhile and get a low miss count. When I'm playing with just HR, I tend to look towards the middle of the screen (and see the right side with my peripheral vision) unless the sv is low, in which case I look towards the left side.

There are a few things I've considered without much luck so far. First, I've tried adjusting the offset, in case I've mostly been relying on sight for the HR only plays, but this didn't help with the accuracy. I've also tried playing easy onis instead of kantans. While I did improve in terms of miss count (probably because the onis followed the song better and I could rely more on hearing), I was still getting mostly 100's.

Maybe this is just a play more situation, but I'm not sure what maps I should be playing to start learning. Currently, I can fc/low miss count 4 star onis and just barely play 5 star maps either nomod or with HR if the bpm is <=200 and the sv is normal.
I'd say 175 bpm HDHR is quite comfortable, or maybe 170 idk you decide your own BPM. Step 1 learn HD (140> BPM better). Step 2, practice. That's all. Maybe not if you're not using Widescreen reso during HDHR.

Good Luck.
Topic Starter
EnigmaticG
I guess I'll be playing lots of 4 star onis to practice then. After watching some replays, I realized that I mainly struggle with reading slow sections with hidden. I use a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor with lazer (as opposed to 4:3 with stable), so I can at least see the patterns. Thanks for the advice.
Topic Starter
EnigmaticG
It's gotten a lot easier for me lately; I just had to focus on the music and keep playing. Today I got my first HDHR S rank and passed a 200 bpm oni, so it looks like it will just be a bit harder than HR alone but still doable. Low SV will take more work though.
_mp1506
wp! yeah.. actually low svs (or low bpm) takes more auditory input into the game since you don't really have to think much when playing maps like 250 bpm+hd since it moves that fast already...

also, finger control is harder with low svs ):

im bad
BabySnakes
score v2 is pretty simple, just start with easier stuff or play HR until you get comfy to play with HDHR.
score v1, you most likely will want to use an ultra wide resolution (stuff like 1920x400) with a big note skin. This is frowned upon but it is how most people play HDHR on score v1
Topic Starter
EnigmaticG
I play lazer on 1080p resolution with a 16:9 monitor, which I think is comparable to score v1 with 16:9 aspect ratio, and can see the patterns for the maps that I can already play with HR only up to 200 bpm, as long as there are no long streams. I'd rather not use a big notes skin since I want to hit the finishers for maximum score, and probably won't be messing with the resolution until I reach a wall in terms of reading (not anytime soon). The main difficulty for me has been getting reasonable accuracy with hidden rather than good miss counts/passes, which is probably only because I haven't been playing hidden for long. E.g., I managed to get a 16 miss on Little Busters Forever (the lower difficulty), but my accuracy was so bad it is only a B rank.
_mp1506

EnigmaticG wrote:

I play lazer on 1080p resolution with a 16:9 monitor, which I think is comparable to score v1 with 16:9 aspect ratio, and can see the patterns for the maps that I can already play with HR only up to 200 bpm, as long as there are no long streams. I'd rather not use a big notes skin since I want to hit the finishers for maximum score, and probably won't be messing with the resolution until I reach a wall in terms of reading (not anytime soon). The main difficulty for me has been getting reasonable accuracy with hidden rather than good miss counts/passes, which is probably only because I haven't been playing hidden for long. E.g., I managed to get a 16 miss on Little Busters Forever (the lower difficulty), but my accuracy was so bad it is only a B rank.
Chillout.. We've seen syaron105 went for HDFC on Qronostasis (the 350 BPM ll-oscar one) and if that's not enough... Our XK2238 being a 14kpp player and for me, a HD God FCed GrapeTea's I forgot which but 343 BPM map with HD on. Incidentally he's really good with other mods also, and notably HDHR which you can see in several maps that he did with very high acc. So far, I've seen his best around 200 BPM 5+ stars consistent and there should be more to them. He been using some conventional skin with black rim on 16:9 reso. Pretty much all conventional, right?

For me, it's just how you have fun with yourself. Unless you wanna ppfy HDHR just like Manji did.
Topic Starter
EnigmaticG
Yeah, I just want to HDHR fc some 4-5 star maps that I really like that are at a moderate bpm. I don't expect to get anywhere near that good. I doubt I'll even be playing 7 star maps ever (or 6 star fcs). Not really going for pp either, although my low profile accuracy bothers me so I replay some old top plays to try to improve it every now and then.
_mp1506

EnigmaticG wrote:

Yeah, I just want to HDHR fc some 4-5 star maps that I really like that are at a moderate bpm. I don't expect to get anywhere near that good. I doubt I'll even be playing 7 star maps ever (or 6 star fcs). Not really going for pp either, although my low profile accuracy bothers me so I replay some old top plays to try to improve it every now and then.
Thats what gets you good!