forum

Optical or Laser?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaitou Kid
What i want to know which is better. I hear optical is more consistent, but has problems with some surfaces and laser is good anywhere but it can lag or accelerate. Which one is generally better and not just for osu but overall.
Full Tablet
optical
winber1
trackball
Espionage724
Something with a good optical sensor.
Noobsicle
optical
just pair it up with any of the popular mouse pads and it'll run fine
buny
tablet
dung eater
I'd go for optical if you lift your mouse a lot, whichever if you don't lift it. It's more about picking a specific mouse you feel comfortable with and having a surface that the mouse works well on (and is comfortable).

I've had no accelation/skipping on copperhead or lachesis (both laser) on my cloth pad, but both did have really bad tracking on some bare wood surfaces and a hard mouse pad. The sensors don't go off before you lift the mouses more than a few mm, which will make the cursor move a bit every time you lift (not an issue because i don't really lift it and is mouse specific most probably).
aBunny_old

jaaakb wrote:

I'd go for optical if you lift your mouse a lot, whichever if you don't lift it. It's more about picking a specific mouse you feel comfortable with and having a surface that the mouse works well on (and is comfortable).

I've had no accelation/skipping on copperhead or lachesis (both laser) on my cloth pad, but both did have really bad tracking on some bare wood surfaces and a hard mouse pad. The sensors don't go off before you lift the mouses more than a few mm, which will make the cursor move a bit every time you lift (not an issue because i don't really lift it and is mouse specific most probably).
lasers have higher LOD. optical is still better for everything though
dung eater

sarasseo wrote:

That's subjective. As long as the mouse doesn't have problems in tracking (accelation, skipping etc) it's all about what feels best to you. I don't know if people lift their mouses playing osu, but it can be an issue in fps games (no fixed area your mouse will be moving around like the osu! play area is).

I'd look at specific mouses and see if there are any problems with them, try them out if possible.

I feel the topic question is like asking if apples are better than oranges. Higly subjective when there is no context. If you specify what you want from a mouse and there are differences between laser and optical in those things, then one could ansver the question without relying on their subjective view.
aBunny_old

jaaakb wrote:

sarasseo wrote:

That's subjective. As long as the mouse doesn't have problems in tracking (accelation, skipping etc) it's all about what feels best to you. I don't know if people lift their mouses playing osu, but it can be an issue in fps games (no fixed area your mouse will be moving around like the osu! play area is).

I'd look at specific mouses and see if there are any problems with them, try them out if possible.

I feel the topic question is like asking if apples are better than oranges. Higly subjective when there is no context. If you specify what you want from a mouse and there are differences between laser and optical in those things, then one could ansver the question without relying on their subjective view.

no its not subjective, optical mouses are more accurate and have lower LOD.
theres no apples and oranges. youre objectively comparing two pieces of hardware in which optical is definitely better.
oranges and apples is like comparing mouse and keyboards. we're comparing mouse and mouse.

edit: updated image. /v/ took the original image from esreality and put /v/ on the top crediting the wrong people.
DeletedUser_3905941
I would choose Optical. I go through my mice like butter and optical have always been more reliable for me.
Laser might have acceleration, but I've noticed absolutely none (Only in G500, that was fucking horrible)
And that /v/ list is an absolute bunch of bullshit
aBunny_old
its only absolute bullshit if you havent seen the source.
http://esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=2024663
i didnt even notice that /v/ but it sure didnt come from /v/
NotCookie_old

buny wrote:

tablet
murmurp
Optical for sure. Laser is no where near the the same consistency as optical mice.

Zowie spent a lot of money on getting their sensor as good as it is. I'm fairly sure that the Zowie FK can be added to that esreality list (that was posted in 2012, the FK is quite new). It's essentially the same as the AM.

I use a tablet for osu! but I spent a *lot* of time looking for a replacement for my Logitech mx518. Only problem I have with the FK is the left handed side (on the right side of the mouse) buttons, even if they're off, but then I was putting up with far more comfort issues with my mx518.

Also... That /v/ list is not far off.
Soarezi

buny wrote:

tablet
Optical Tablet or Laser Tablet?
Full Tablet

Soarezi wrote:

buny wrote:

tablet
"Laser"
-GN

Soarezi wrote:

Laser Tablet
this needs to happen
Pannari
Optical. I have an optical mouse and I'm really happy with it, zero complaints so far.

I mostly play with my tablet though.
aBunny_old

murmurp wrote:

Optical for sure. Laser is no where near the the same consistency as optical mice.

Zowie spent a lot of money on getting their sensor as good as it is. I'm fairly sure that the Zowie FK can be added to that esreality list (that was posted in 2012, the FK is quite new). It's essentially the same as the AM.

I use a tablet for osu! but I spent a *lot* of time looking for a replacement for my Logitech mx518. Only problem I have with the FK is the left handed side (on the right side of the mouse) buttons, even if they're off, but then I was putting up with far more comfort issues with my mx518.

Also... That /v/ list is not far off.
i use tape to cover the left buttons
winber1

Soarezi wrote:

buny wrote:

tablet
trackball