forum

July's Summer Challenge (Challenge Over)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Thank you for coming to my Osu Challenge!

I, like many of you, am interested in the various tournaments hosted by the community, and would love to join one myself. However, due to work and other life commitments I cannot guarantee that I will have a specific weekend or specific dates off to participate in or host a tournament. So, I opted to start my own series of themed challenges meant to be held over the entire month as opposed to a single day or weekend, broken up into 2-day rounds and an end-of-month free period to fix previous scores or fill in ones you missed. If this is something you're interested in, or fits more neatly into your schedule than other tourneys, you're welcome to join in! It's open to all ranks from 3M+ to #1.

The second half of the year begins, and why not start it out by diving into the most topical season: Summer! From sandy beaches, scorching heat, to swims in the pool (or ocean) in the swimsuit of your choice, take some time out of your vacation to relax and play some maps.

As for the polls, it's time to pick the contestants to be potentially featured in the first half of 2025! With 8 selections, an option to choose a sort of non-artist option, or put your own personal option up on the ballot! (Just be aware if it doesn't have at least 5 songs it won't get picked.)

Other notable links:
Penalty mark sheet with descriptions (plus eventual link archive of previous challenges)
Artist's Spotlight polls: #1, #2
Beatmap suggestion thread:

Sign-up Rules and Brackets
- The ranges for each bracket of play (in rankings and SR) are as follows:
  1. 900K+ (1.3-1.8*)
  2. 899-700K (1.8-2.3*)
  3. 699-500K (2.3-2.8*)
  4. 499-300K (2.8-3.3*)
  5. 299-200K (3.3-3.8*)
  6. 199-150K (3.8-4.3*)
  7. 149K-100K (4.3-4.8*)
  8. 99K-50K (4.8-5.3*)
  9. 50K-10K (5.3-5.8*)
  10. <10K (5.8*+)

- Joining is simple. Merely post "/in" or anything that looks like you want to join in. I would prefer /in to avoid ambiguity, though.
- All who post will be checked by the end of sign-ups for your range (and obviously when I'm putting you in your brackets).
- The second phase of sign-ups is called the "lock-in" phase. At that point, even if you get enough pp to advance to a new bracket (eg. at 501K, you get enough to jump to 497K) you will still be locked into the bracket you originally were signed up for. However, advancements before that point will be accounted for and you will be moved to the proper bracket.
-Players who sign up during this lock-in phase will also be subject to said lock-in as well.
-Any bracket that has one or zero participants will be removed.
--If a bracket has only one player, they will be given a one-time option to jump down to a lower bracket (eg. a single 499-300K player may jump to the 299-200K bracket). If this option is not taken, you will be removed alongside the bracket.
--If this option is taken, this will be waived if and ONLY if a lower-bracket single player decides to jump into your bracket to make it a 2-person (and thus viable) bracket. If nobody opts to take the advancement (or will otherwise be affected by it before you), your own advancement will take place.
Examples
Example 1: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will be removed with their bracket while Player 1 will advance.
Example 2: Player 1 is the only one in the 500-699K bracket and opts to take the advancement to the 300-499K bracket. Player 2 is also the only one in the 700-899K bracket and also takes the advancement. Player 3 is also the only one in the 900K+ bracket but does not take the advancement. Player 2 will advance as they were still in a single-person bracket, but Player 1 will not because Player 2 has moved up to join them.
Example 3: Same scenario as Example 2 except the 900K+ does take the advancement. Player 2 will remain in their bracket since Player 3 advanced, while Player 1 will be moved up to the 300-499K bracket

-The lock-in phase will begin at 00:00 on June 28th, 2024.
Sign-ups officially end at 23:59 on June 30th, 2024. Anyone who asks after this day will not be added.

Competition Rules
-There will be 10 maps for each bracket, with each map getting two days to play.
--6 Maps will be within your designated SR spread for each bracket.
--1 Map will be .2-.3* harder than your spread.
--1 map will be .2-.3* easier than your spread.
--2 maps will be 1-1.5* easier than your spread.
-For each map, players will have two days to submit scores for the map. Once that two-day period is up, you will be unable to submit another score for that map until the final days of the challenge. However, as stated in the sign-in rules above, you may submit as many scores as you like within that two-day period for that map.
-After Round 10, the final days of the month will be a free submission period, where you may submit scores for all the maps in your bracket as a final chance to upgrade your scores. Once the final day of the challenge is over, no more submissions will be accepted.
-You may use any mod except the following combinations:
--V2 (as this doesn't submit scores to the website meaning I can't trawl for them myself if I have to.)
--NFDT D-rank (to ensure that all players at least attempt to try for a score.
--Any auto-play mod (Relax, auto, autopilot)
---While score-reducing mods like HT, EZ and NF are allowed, be aware that they will be a detriment if it comes down to score tiebreaks.
-Lazer scores WILL NOT be allowed for submission!
- Scores must be submitted or dated from during the round of that particular map or during the free period at the end. That does mean you will need to re-do your score if you had one submitted previously.
--This dating is based on the website-side timestamps for your scores, as those are based either on UTC or are converted from UTC to my timezone (US Central) instead of each player's own local timezones.
- There is no limit to the number of scores you may submit, so long as it is submitted within the time-frame of the challenge and the specific round for each map. Submit one-and-dones, or replay your maps every day until you get the best score you can, whatever works for you.
- A link to your score page on the website is required in a companion thread that will be made on the day the challenge starts. Pictures are optional but encouraged, or required if you get scorev1'd. It is also on you to ensure your links work and are updated. I can and will trawl for scores if absolutely necessary or if something janky happens, and if I find a broken link I will try to point it out, but I will not be doing so regularly.
- Players must submit scores for at least three maps by the end of the first five rounds, and for at least seven maps before the open submission period. Players who fail to do so will be automatically DQ'd and may not re-enter. Repeat offenders will be barred from participating in future challenges. If you find out you can no longer participate or don't want to, please just let me know instead of ghosting. I have no problem with you requesting to leave at any time. If you wish to see if you are affected by this, please see the penalties sheet.
- Points will be distributed based on the number of players in each bracket minus one per 5 people. I.e. if there are less than 5, all participants will get points (1st gets 4, 2nd 3, etc.), while if there are 5 then four will get points while last place will get none (if there's 5 players, 1st will get 4, 2nd 3, and so on while 5th will get none. If there's 10 players, 1st will get 8, 2nd 7, 3rd 6, and so on while 9th and 10th get none.)
- If a player FC's a map (Full combo, no dropped slider-ends; your combo should be green on the scores page), they will be given a bonus point.
- If a player FCs a map with at least 98% accuracy, they will be given two bonus points.
- If a player SS's a map, they will be given three bonus points.
---Do note that these do not stack; you can only earn up to three bonus points for the SS.
- The winner of each round (and any potential tiebreaks) will be determined as follows, from top priority to lowest: Accuracy->score->timestamp.
Tiebreak examples
--Example 1: Player A has a play with 93% acc., while Player B has 95%. In this scenario, Player B would win the map.
--Example 2: Player A and Player B both have 97% acc, but Player A has 8.5M points while Player B has 7.8M points. In this scenario, Player A would win the map.
--Example 3: Player A and Player B both SS the map, but Player B has 1,100 more points due to a faster spinner. In this scenario Player B would win.
--Example 4: Player A and Player B both SS the map and either have the same spinner points or the map has no spinner. However, Player A submitted their play one day before Player B. In this scenario, Player A would win.
- The challenge will officially end at 23:59 on July 31st, 2024. No other submissions will be accepted after this time.
-- The player from each bracket with the most points wins. If two or more players are tied, the player who has the most round wins will be the winner.

Prizes
- The winner of each bracket will earn 1 month's Osu!Supporter from me.
- If a player FC's all maps in their bracket, I will give them an extra 1 month's supporter.
- If a player SS's all their songs in their bracket, I will give them an extra 2 months Supporter on top of the 1 month for winning.
- Others are more than welcome to offer their own rewards to players if they so choose. However, if you are participating you may not offer a reward of any kind for the challenge. If there is enough support for it I may allow for rewards on brackets outside your own, but that remains to be seen.

WHEEEE posting ahead of time this time!
heipizhu
/in
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Will you need me to link you the maps like before?
heipizhu

Voidedosu wrote:

Will you need me to link you the maps like before?
Yes, please. I'm not sure if I could access Google Docs all the time, so thanks!
Plextora
/in
minnjae
/in
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Sign-ups are officially over. (well, in one hour as of posting, but I kinda expect nobody else to /in over here in an hour, so) Round 1 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 2nd.

The scores thread is here. I recommend bookmarking it ASAP. The poll for the artist's spotlight in 2025.1 will go up within a couple days.
Xerillia
Hi!

So,
I think it's clear that we can't post scores ahead of us (you can't submit Round 3's map in Round 1, for example).

However, what about fixing past scores?
For example, on Round 7, I want to fix my Round 4's score. Is that allowed?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

Xerillia wrote:

Hi!

So,
I think it's clear that we can't post scores ahead of us (you can't submit Round 3's map in Round 1, for example).

However, what about fixing past scores?
For example, on Round 7, I want to fix my Round 4's score. Is that allowed?
No. As it says in the Competition rules, you can only fix scores in a previous round in the Free Period at the end of the month.
McEndu

Voidedosu wrote:

Sign-ups are officially over. (well, in one hour as of posting, but I kinda expect nobody else to /in over here in an hour, so) Round 1 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 2nd.

The scores thread is here. I recommend bookmarking it ASAP. The poll for the artist's spotlight in 2025.1 will go up within a couple days.
Timezone?
Eyeonized
Is there any real reason to add mods to your plays? it seems to me like i should just SS with no mods and be done with it. the only way thats beaten is if someone has an ss with mods. :p
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

McEndu wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

Timezone?
US Central Time, as stated in the competition rules.

Eyeonized wrote:

Is there any real reason to add mods to your plays? it seems to me like i should just SS with no mods and be done with it. the only way thats beaten is if someone has an ss with mods. :p
I would say no. But the option is there as it normally gives a better chance to win since you'd win a score tiebreak.
animetibs
when updating scores for submitting, is there a way we should notify you, or will you do another run through once the round has ended

also, for brackets with less than five people, will a person who has not submitted a score for a round still receive a point?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 1 is over. Round 2 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 4th ('Murica!)

Also, effective immediately I will no longer allow Lazer scores to be submitted to this challenge. The point discrepancy is too high, even with classic enabled, and the other methods that I know of ones I simply do not have to time nor the willingness to do in order to make sure they match up properly.

While I believe this has so far only affected three players (one who is on stable, one who is on lazer but opted to withdraw, and another on lazer that I haven't received a response from yet, I am still saying here so all participants are aware. With that in mind, if the player in question wishes to continue participating I will allow them to submit a new score on Stable for Round 1 for the duration of Round 2. Going forward, any score on lazer will not be allowed. Thank you for your understanding.

animetibs wrote:

when updating scores for submitting, is there a way we should notify you, or will you do another run through once the round has ended

also, for brackets with less than five people, will a person who has not submitted a score for a round still receive a point?
I will do a run-through myself, no need to notify me on that. Unless I completely miss it, in which case please do.

Brackets with 1-4 people will have 1-4 points, so everyone will get some points. Brackets with 5 people will have 4-0 points so 5th place will not get any points. This increases by 1 every 5 players; 10 players means 9th and 10 get 0, 15 players means 8th-10th get 0, and so on.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 2 is over. Round 3 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 6th.

The following players must submit a score in the next round or be auto-dq'd:
Elfilin
Foxcoon
Gravykins
Kaeya x diluc
Meepzy
Blaizerest
Porscheosu
WitchofGreed
Chase2241
gchalfant03
pee r k
Tenichi
akaligakill1
I can't do jumps
Inyaa
Jiffyy-y
Kingasian
IEatCookies
R3dKev
Vidrogue
Wasard
x3Silencer
Saruei
Xerillia
Do we need to wait for you to announce the next Round, or can we submit score in future round as soon as central time hit 12AM?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 3 is over. Round 4 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 8th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of scores:
Meepzy
Blaizerest
Porscheosu
WitchofGreed
Chase2241
gchalfant03
pee r k
Tenchi
Akaligakill1
I can't do jumps
JIffyy-y
Kingasian
IEatCookies
Vidrogue
Wasard
x3Silencer

The following brackets have been rendered defunct due to lack of players:
199-150K

The following players must submit in this round or be auto-dq'd:
Golden Egg
Gravykins
Inyaa
R3dKev

Xerillia wrote:

Do we need to wait for you to announce the next Round, or can we submit score in future round as soon as central time hit 12AM?
As soon as it hits 12AM. Mainly because I can't always guarantee I'll be up at that point.
McEndu
Are FC and SS bonuses for winner only?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

McEndu wrote:

Are FC and SS bonuses for winner only?
No, they are for anyone who achieves it. The only one that is winner-specific is for the most points in your bracket. I'm also willing to honor them for people who have put in the effort to submit for most/all maps but get shafted because their bracket goes defunct near the end, though it usually requires either A.) submitting for all rounds up to at least round 9 or 10, and/or B.) already being on track for either one of those bonuses in the first place. If someone was all-SS up to round 7 or 8 or maybe had 7/10 FCs/SSs by the free period, I might be willing, but it's very much a case-by-case basis.

This only applies to my rewards, of course. If/when someone else offers their own reward/bounty you'd have to ask them for details.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 4 is over. Round 5 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 10th.

The following players must submit in the next round or be auto-dq'd:
Golden Egg
Gravykins
Inyaa
R3dKev
FlyiingTuna
Bigyell
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 5 is over. Round 6 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 10th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of submissions:
FlyiingTuna
Bigyell
McEndu

Voidedosu wrote:

199-150K
Can the sole player (if any) up to that point continue in a higher bracket with relaxed checkpoint conditions?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

McEndu wrote:

Voidedosu wrote:

199-150K
Can the sole player (if any) up to that point continue in a higher bracket with relaxed checkpoint conditions?
Not at this point, no. I only allow that at the beginning.

Round 6 is over. Round 7 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 14th.
Xerillia
Hi, I can't help but notice that you've been manually changing the tables in the google spreadsheet, and I would like to start a small sheet project, which will hopefully make your life a bit easier in the future.

The feature could be something like:
1. Participant listing in one page (like a manager)
2. Automatic bracket sorting (not fully automatic, something like a drop down of putting where people should be quickly)
3. Instant disqualify (removing from the bracket, and if possible, automatically adds strike point)
4. Beatmap listing (putting mappools in one page, and also fetch the information about the map, like CS, map cover, etc.)

and anything I could think of in the future.

Are you interested? I won't be charging anything, just seriously want to help :)
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
I don't have that much experience with Google Excel, but I don't think it allows the cross-sheet interfacing necessary for automatically adding marks to dq'd players. What I'd probably need more than anything is just a second pair of eyes to help catch errors, add people and scores to the sheet alongside adding marks when necessary.

The automatic bracket sorting does sound nice, though. The beatmap lister also sounds somewhat interesting, but unless it'd use Osu!Collector or your Collection.db data I'm not sure how it'd pull the maps I want.

To be clear, what you're suggesting isn't bad, but they aren't all really the things I'd want to add.
Xerillia
I have private messaged you the follow up. Please check it out!
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 7 is over. Round 8 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 16th.

The following player must submit in this round or be auto-dq'd:
Golden Egg
Birst
Rooicat
Inyaa
R3dKev
Elexy-
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 8 is over. Round 9 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 18th.

I'm aware I'm behind on updating scores. I will get caught up tomorrow (17th).

Golden Egg
Rooicat

900K+

The following players must submit a score in the next round or be auto-dq'd:
Birst
YellowKubek
Jayson Todd
Inyaa
R3dKev
Elexy-
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 9 is over. Round 10 has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 20th.

The following players have been auto-dq'd due to lack of players:
YellowKubek
Jayson Todd
Elexy-
R3dKev

299-200K
<10K

The following players must submit this round or be auto-dq'd:
Birst
Inyaa
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Round 10 is over. The Free Period has begun and will end at 23:59 on July 31st.

Inyaa

149-100K

Point re-calculation will also happen soon, especially for 49-10K. I also wanted to point out that the sign-up threads for August's challenge are up now, so if you're interested in joining next month's challenge head on over there, too.
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Only 5 days left!
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Two more days!

Also a bit shameless, but I'm looking/hoping for some of you to join the August challenge as well. I'm a bit surprised I don't have a viable bracket yet as I usually have at least one by now, but I would like to have at least one. (edit: Okay, Wimpy makes the 200K bracket viable, but any more would be appreciated.)
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
The Challenge is over. Please give me a few days to calculate the results.
animetibs
any luck in tabulating the scores?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu

animetibs wrote:

any luck in tabulating the scores?
Yes, actually.

The winners of the July Summer Challenge are:
In the 899-700K bracket: McEndu!
In the 699-500K bracket: Xerillia!
In the 499-300K bracket: Aspen_01!
In the 99-50K bracket: Eyeonized!
In the 49-10K bracket: Narwhals_cats!

Furthermore, the following players will receive additional rewards:
McEndu will receive an extra 2 months supporter for all SS's
Xerillia will receive an extra 2 months supporter for all SS's

Giving out the rewards will be a little delayed until I get paid next Thursday, so please be patient with me. Regardless, thank you to everyone who participated.
Eyeonized
woohoo!!
Xerillia
I don't want to rush you or anything, but any updates on the rewards?
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
I should get them out on Monday. Feel free to pester me through the week if I don't.
Xerillia
bump!
Topic Starter
Voidedosu
Your Supporter rewards have been sent out. Once again, thank you to everyone who participated.
Xerillia
Thank you :D