forum

Harder to get performance points now?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Skvimpa
It's probably just me, but it feels like it's harder to get PP since 2 weeks back.

Did I miss some update on this or am I just not playing as good as I did 2 weeks ago or am I playing shitty maps?
Mathsma
Topic Starter
Skvimpa

Mathsma wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/news/74631045581
I'm aware of that one, but earlier I didn't even have to FC a map and still got 12-20 PP for it which felt really out of place.

Now I FC songs which supposedly is the same difficulty and I get 1 or even 0 sometimes.

That's why I'm wondering.
TheVileOne
It's probably harder because the game is counting all your plays, and not just the most highly contested plays. The new system is more rewarding for high accuracy, long combo plays. Missing is much less forgiving, so try to hold onto that FC.

Another good thing about the new system is that you wont lose pp unless you beat your score with a worse accuracy. pp may take slightly more effort to obtain, but each point you do get will stay with you.
tokaku
Maybe you're not performing better than your old scores. The system may see you as able to do those songs that you can FC, so you are not rewarded as much. Try playing harder songs.
Tom94

Skvimpa wrote:

Mathsma wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/news/74631045581
I'm aware of that one, but earlier I didn't even have to FC a map and still got 12-20 PP for it which felt really out of place.

Now I FC songs which supposedly is the same difficulty and I get 1 or even 0 sometimes.

That's why I'm wondering.
Of course you can't just keep getting pp for scores of the same difficulty. Otherwise you could easily rank #1 just by a bit of playing.
You have to perform well on harder maps if you want to increase your pp further. And when you did that you will have to play even harder maps again. ;)
Luvdic

TheVileOne wrote:

Missing is much less forgiving, so try to hold onto that FC.
EDIT: errmm for some reaosn what I wrote in here disappeared.

Anyways, what I wanted to say is this: Missing is much more forgiving now compared to before. Before if you got a miss 10 notes before fc, you will most probably be out of top 100 of the map, and youll probably not get any pp because of it, but now you can still get pp as long as it is high enough (as well as the accuracy)
Illkryn
Can't just farm hards for ranks anymore. It feels good that my best performances are for the most part maps that challenged me.
Unlike in ppv1 my top performance at rank 4k was a 3 and a half star map then a bunch of hard Dt's.
Coffee Hero

TheVileOne wrote:

Another good thing about the new system is that you wont lose pp unless you beat your score with a worse accuracy. pp may take slightly more effort to obtain, but each point you do get will stay with you.
Yo can lose accuracy by improving your accuracy on a song. Ex: 1st score 83% 400 combo 5 misses. 2nd score 89% accuracy 1 miss 500 combo. Unless your overall accuracy is lower than 89% then you can possibly lose more accuracy because the score is now worth more and therefor has a greater affect on your accuracy.
mcdoomfrag

TSC wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

Yo can lose accuracy by improving your accuracy on a song. Ex: 1st score 83% 400 combo 5 misses. 2nd score 89% accuracy 1 miss 500 combo. Unless your overall accuracy is lower than 89% then you can possibly lose more accuracy because the score is now worth more and therefor has a greater affect on your accuracy.
Uuummm... nobody here was talking about losing accuracy, and that system is the same as its always been. The more pp you gain from a map,the more effect it will have on your accuracy. It's simple ;_;
ElykColdster
I read somewhere on the forums that the new pp system works so that it weighs your best performances more heavily and if you FC a song that doesn't yield enough pp to warrant a spot on your best performances list (or close to a spot) then you're not going to get a lot of pp, if any.

IIRC the method is something like: you have a list of scores that give you 100pp, 99pp, 98pp, ... weighed by a factor of x that decreases exponentially down the list.
In this example, your total pp would be T = 100 + 99*x + 98*x^2 + ...
So if you FC a song that gives you 50 pp, for example, that would rank ~50 on your list which is weighed by x^49. Assuming x is around 0.9, that's 50pp * ~0.005 = ~0.25pp.
nooblet

Xanandra wrote:

Anyways, what I wanted to say is this: Missing is much more forgiving now compared to before. Before if you got a miss 10 notes before fc, you will most probably be out of top 100 of the map, and youll probably not get any pp because of it, but now you can still get pp as long as it is high enough (as well as the accuracy)
You mean dropping combo. Misses are NOT forgiving, in fact they're even stricter than before. A miss will murder your PP more than losing the accuracy/combo from some 100's will.
CookChefSteak

nooblet wrote:

Xanandra wrote:

You mean dropping combo. Misses are NOT forgiving, in fact they're even stricter than before. A miss will murder your PP more than losing the accuracy/combo from some 100's will.
what?
I improved plays from 1 miss to FC tons of times and got maybe 20% more pp. when you play easy maps that give no pp it may seem like a miss penalizes you hard, but when you play a map that gives like 30-40 pp(relative to skill) you can get like 80% of that amount with one miss as long as your actual performance is good. I always have 1-2 plays with misses on my top ranks, they still give tons. and when I fix them I usually don't get much more.
mcdoomfrag

CookChefSteak wrote:

what?
I improved plays from 1 miss to FC tons of times and got maybe 20% more pp. when you play easy maps that give no pp it may seem like a miss penalizes you hard, but when you play a map that gives like 30-40 pp(relative to skill) you can get like 80% of that amount with one miss as long as your actual performance is good. I always have 1-2 plays with misses on my top ranks, they still give tons. and when I fix them I usually don't get much more.
What nooblet was trying to say is that for example, say a song has 500 Max Combo. If you get 300 combo with 95% accuracy with 1 miss, but then get 400 combo with 96% accuracy with 10 misses, that will most likely murder the pp gained from the song, especially if it is a more jumpy map.

Cases like yours where you go from 1 miss to FC, as you pointed out, don't really effect pp that much.

Case in point. 8 pp were lost that day. ripp :(