forum

Track Multiple Beatmap Versions in Beatmap Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bizio98
Hi everyone, I'm a new mapper and I have a workflow question that I can't seem to get right.

Let's say that I map a selected difficulty and I submit it via the new Beatmap Discussion. I get some mods and maybe there is one that suggests something which is a breaking change for a difficulty that needs to be changed in multiple parts or entirely remapped from scratch. In that case, what is the best practice to make the changes/a new diff and submit it so that others can check the difference and provide new feedback?

I thought about making a new diff and then sharing the .osz file with the person who made the mod, but I feel that kind of defeats the purpose of Beatmap Discussion.

In my case, I created a new diff and submitted it, got new feedback, copied it onto the old diff, and deleted the new one. Now the deleted diff shows in the modding discussions, but I feel it's hard to track the history and check what changes have already been made.

What do you think?
Serizawa Haruki
Usually people don't create a new difficulty for this reason because it's not really necessary. You can simply update the difficulty, even if there are major changes. The old version is usually not relevant at that point anymore.
OsuMagic360
+1 with Serizawa Haruki, typically mods (even general/widespread mods) will improve the map to a point where an older version isn't needed (unless a mod is entirely subjective.)

however if you do want both versions somewhat availible, you can upload the old difficulty to a media sharing site like google drive etc. and link that in the description so that both difficulties exist but the old difficulty isn't on the set
powerplayer75
if you *really* care you could try using a version control software like git but personally i just use mapping tools to backup the .osu file whenever im about to make a change im not sure about.
Topic Starter
bizio98
Alright, that's clear, thanks guys!