forum

osu!SliderCompendium (0.1) - Slider Saving and Sharing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
As a proof of concept I developed a small app to save and share sliders.

The app consists of 2 tabs. In the first tab, you can select a slider, and it will plop out the slider code. In the second tab, you can more sliders to the compendium. If you want to share it, just give the sliderCompendium.txt to another person.

In its sad current state, this app can only do just what I stated, nothing more and nothing less. I was also too lazy to let the app run without sliderCompendium.txt being present. There are probably other bugs as well, but for those willing to try it out, download is available below.

osu!SliderCompendium-0.1 download

Feel free to share your sliderCompendium.txt in the thread. I'll add them to the release if I remember xD

Todo:
Add slider pictures
Add slider length
Allow adjustable offset
Add to the compendium
Bug Fixes
Sort sliders

For those wondering about source code, I'll release it after I deem this project has received an acceptable state (1.0 or later)
Piine
This is a really great project. I wish the best for it and to help new and old mappers :D

Writing this on my to-use list :P

PS: Are you planning to make a topic for these so called slider.txts? *Hopefully I didn't offend you*
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
I plan to compile as many sliders as possible in a later release, but I'll focus on adding to it later. I think first off, I need to make a way to sort the sliders.

Edit: I should note that in the op.
Flanster
What programming language are you using?
Loctav
A nice thing that could be added to the editor self actually. More like not only a plain slider painter but adding specific slider shapes to the editor and then paint them according to the beat/velocity/whateverinfluencessiliders - like an extension of the circular slider behavior.

Probably hellass complicated to add a "manual slider brushes" to the editor, but the compendium self is probably doable, I hope/think? :D
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

LoliFlan wrote:

What programming language are you using?
c#. The actual code, besides the stuff windows used to initialize the GUI is like 20 lines right now.

Loctav wrote:

A nice thing that could be added to the editor self actually. More like not only a plain slider painter but adding specific slider shapes to the editor and then paint them according to the beat/velocity/whateverinfluencessiliders - like an extension of the circular slider behavior.

Probably hellass complicated to add a "manual slider brushes" to the editor, but the compendium self is probably doable, I hope/think? :D
Well, there are slider compendium request in feature request, but I just wanted to act upon it since it is a feature that I care a lot about. My current outlook/plan is to package the app with a bunch of the basic sliders (wave, symmetric s-curves, ???), and then offer other sets of sliders as sets inside the thread. As for making a customizable version of basic sliders (for a brush), is not something I have thought about before, so give me some time to analyze it
(I hope that answered what you were asking Loctav)
TicClick
excuse me, but it looks like just one more step on the way to completely generic and non-unique maps
Marcin
Interesting project.
Stefan
that what Tic said. And honestly, using such a compendium is reducing the effort in Mapping for like 60~70%. I understand if more unique Slider shapes - which aren't used often - are a pain to make them, especially if you want to use them more as one time but Beatmaps will become even more 08/15 in our time.
Sieg

TicClick wrote:

excuse me, but it looks like just one more step on the way to completely generic and non-unique maps
nobody reduces your creativity, feel free to make awesome maps further
but this can improve quality and quantity of ranked maps overall, sounds good, no?
peppy
You realise you could actually use the editor sdk to implement this directly? You should try it. It'll be fun ;).

(let me know if you need any help)
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi

peppy wrote:

You realise you could actually use the editor sdk to implement this directly? You should try it. It'll be fun ;).

(let me know if you need any help)
I'll definitely give it a try in a bit (I haven't really looked at the edtior sdk yet, despite having it sit on my desktop for months)

As for the argument about this making maps more generic, all I'll say is that this is just a tool. A tool is meant to speed things up, but whether or not it is used for good or bad ideas is up to the users
TheVileOne
If you get anywhere with the sdk before I get around to doing it let me know, because this functionality will be useful to me.